Rhine River Cruise Meets Thread

Hi everyone! Finally rejoining the discussion now that school is out and we are less than a month away from the July 1st Rhine River cruise!

Regarding the Fish Extenders -- I can't recall if there was a specific direction on this when we got on the ship, but on our Danube Cruise last year (also on amaWaterways), there were no door decorations at all and no "fish extender" decor as we have seen on the DCL ships. Therefore, I am not sure if Fish Extenders would work on the river cruise.

Am interested in hearing if anyone got any additional feedback from ABD Corporate on what excursions are limited. There are only a few that are I had considered "must do" for my mom & daughter and me ... but knowing this new information we will plan to be flexible! From our experience last year, we were wiped out towards the end of the Danube River cruise. We actually decided not to go on a half day excursion so we could rest and just do some light exploring on our own. Since there are no "at sea" days, you really do keep moving at a fast pace! Therefore -- if an excursion doesn't work out for us, we will enjoy some down time!!

Looking forward to meeting many of you in a few weeks - and appreciate all the insight and feedback from everyone!

July 1st cruise is coming up!!
I still have not heard if anyone is interested in doing a fish extender exchange. There are 2 girls in our group...14 and 15.
I just watched a video of the Rhine river cruise and there were fish extenders...actually there are no fish, but the organizers were hung around the cabin number. I bought 2 over the door organizers from amazon prime for $9.95 and the girls will decorate them. This was cheaper and easier than actually making them.
If anyone wants to participate contact me at kkgastro@aol.com
If you are not sure what this is just google Disney fish extender...

As an extra reminder...make sure to bring an electrical adapter to charge your phone as well as curling irons, etc
We are not arriving until later on July 1...here's hoping that there are no flight delays.....

Last edited:
I don't think duct tape on the doors would be appropriate on a river boat.You will see when you board.

The three of you can block the others as they scramble towards the sign up desk....... don't forget to "go low and wrap then drive, drive, drive". LOL, I hope it doesn't come to that scramble.
too funny....I think that we are doing the toboggans....just to save you the zip line spot lol
Our daughter turns 15 in July and we are traveling with another couple and their 15 year old daughter...
I hope that the excursions are not an issue because it took a long time to agree upon the ones we want!

I still have not heard if anyone is interested in doing a fish extender exchange. There are 2 girls in our group...14 and 15

My daughter is 14 -- almost 15 (birthday next month!) -- she is excited to hear about other girls her age on the trip!

We "gifted" our fish extender to my brother and his family for their Disney Cruise to Alaska this summer. Even if we had one, I do not think that there is any place to hang it on or outside the door. I recall from the Danube Cruise that they (amaWaterways) were specific about nothing on the doors.

I am up to some sort of little gift exchange, however I am working right up to our departure date (6/28!) and time is a bit limited. Let me know if you received any other interest from the Juy 1st group!

Looking forward to meeting everyone -- only about a week left!!

Hello again!

I was hoping there might be some posts from those cruising this week regarding the excursion sign up process and which excursions may have limits. Thank you to those who posted information from the DVC cruise in April! When we were on the Danube Cruise last year, the ship had wifi, but it was sometimes spotty or weak - not to mention that we were exhausted from all the activities!! Anyway, I hope everything went smoothly, and that everyone was able to sign up for the activities of interest.

We will be departing next Wednesday (June 28th) for Zurich, and will have a few nights in Lucerne before heading to Basel via train.

Wishing everyone safe travels - and looking forward to meeting with many of you soon!!

Can anyone ask April that did the Mercedes and BMW museums please share their thoughts on how it was?
Mzyonse, I have been working my way through a trip report from the April DVC ABD Rhine River Cruise and we went on the Mercedes and Porsche museums excursion. You can check it out to get one perspective about that excursion and I will be happy to answer any additional questions you might have about it.

Since this is a public message forum, I'm not surprised ABD has representatives here reading along. I like that! It gives a place for them to try and solve problems and give some pixie dust. I would appreciate a company taking the initiative to reach out to me to help solve a problem. Although, it doesn't sound like there's much ability to solve the group limit number (right now...will it change? )

Hello again!

I was hoping there might be some posts from those cruising this week regarding the excursion sign up process and which excursions may have limits. Thank you to those who posted information from the DVC cruise in April! When we were on the Danube Cruise last year, the ship had wifi, but it was sometimes spotty or weak - not to mention that we were exhausted from all the activities!! Anyway, I hope everything went smoothly, and that everyone was able to sign up for the activities of interest.

We will be departing next Wednesday (June 28th) for Zurich, and will have a few nights in Lucerne before heading to Basel via train.

Wishing everyone safe travels - and looking forward to meeting with many of you soon!!

Just bring an over the door organizer. There were extenders on the you tube video of this cruise. We will bring some little surprises for your daughter.

Safe travels and see you Saturday!!!! Karen

Did anyone else notice that some of the excursions have been changed again?

We received the updated excursion list just this week. I was intrigued by the changes -- my mother noted that church tours were removed. Not sure why -- perhaps it is a timing issue. A lot of the churches have super long lines and perhaps that was an issue? Looks like we still have free time at most stops, so hopefully that will allow some additional exploring. Most of our first choices are still listed, so fingers crossed!!

Just bring an over the door organizer. There were extenders on the you tube video of this cruise. We will bring some little surprises for your daughter.

Safe travels and see you Saturday!!!! Karen

We will bring some surprises as well! I can't recall our room number -- will look to connect on the ship! Safe travels, and see you Saturday!!

Since this is a public message forum, I'm not surprised ABD has representatives here reading along. I like that! It gives a place for them to try and solve problems and give some pixie dust. I would appreciate a company taking the initiative to reach out to me to help solve a problem. Although, it doesn't sound like there's much ability to solve the group limit number (right now...will it change? )
wow..You guys are ABD machines!!!! Are you on the July 1 rhine river cruise?...I would love some advice. We have been with ABD to Italy , Alaska. and the Grand canyon

Hey July 1st Cruisers! Have an amazing time this weekend and make sure to take lost of pics and post if you can. I Would love to hear your feedback while onboard or definitely when you get back....heading out on July 15 sailing with 13 in our party. I'm interested in learning if the changes they made will help everyone get the excursions they want. I'm also curious to see if they will include the ABD surprises in your staterooms.... it's those little attentions to detail that make us feel special and keep us coming back. Also would love to hear how the fish extenders worked out... anyone interested innFEs

We were on the river cruise last week.

For those concerned about excursions, I can say that some booked up very quickly. They were:

Macaron making
Anne Frank House
Bike riding in the the vineyards
Van Gogh Museum
Horseback riding

There may be a few others that I cannot recall.

The first day there were long lines in the lounge to book excursions. It wasn't much fun at all.

ABD did try to work out solutions for those that didn't get into excursions; for example they had the chef on the ship demonstrate how to make macarons. Not the same as being in Strasbourg and working with chefs, but it was a solution.

I can't see this sign up method staying around for very long. There were a lot of guests that didn't get into their preferred excursions and they were quite upset (understandly). Some families that arrived around 3:00pm had very limited choices.

The ship is incredible and the staff of the AMA Kristina was superb.

There were some excursions that had no restrictions on group size so they took everyone at the same time. For the canoe ride on the river in France this was a complete disaster. They literally had approx. 120 guests arrive at the same time and all were given the same lesson on how to steer and paddle. Then everyone got in the canoes one at a time and had to stay together as a group. It wasn't much fun according to those that went (we did the boat cruise).

For me one of the best excursions was the Anne Frank House. It was everything I had hoped it would be and much more. It is very well done. I highly recommend this excursion.

If there are any questions I will try my best to answer but it may take a little while.

I will post more in a few weeks.

We were on the 6/17 sailing.
I didn't see any Fish Extenders on our hallway. I am not sure that they will want a door hanger to possibly mar their brand new ship. Something to consider. The AmaKristina is literally 12 weeks old. It's so shiny and new!

We did not take any outlet converters. 2 USB ports in the bedside table (bring a long cord) are available. Hairdryer in the bathroom was sufficient and I'm pretty picky about that. We borrowed a straightener from the reception desk for the week. Boom. No appliances to haul and no plugs to figure out. No problem. The usual toiletries were supplied in the bathroom.

The MB/Porsche Museums were interesting. We did have to travel on the coach through traffic and it took over an hour to get there. It was interesting to see the countryside, the city, and the traffic, though. We watched Jungle Book on the way home, and it took the length of the movie to make the commute. We did like the excursion, in spite of the travel time.

The Indoor Ski Park was great fun. Also a bit of a commute, but worth it. They provide pants, jacket, boots and gloves. (It's like picking up skates or bowling shoes...) We wore comfortable clothes under the gear and it was fine.

When they offer you a bottle of water as you leave the ship, take it.

It didn't rain on us, and it was really warm (like in the 90's) for most of the week.

Hopefully they can come up with a way to do excursion sign up that is more efficient/effective. We were near the end of the line, and therefore didn't get all of our first choices. HOWEVER, we did participate in the on board macaroon class and it was fun. It was actually just right for our family, so sometimes things just work out for the best. Be prepared with an alternative plan, try to be at least a little flexible, and pack your patience. Get to know your fellow travelers in line and enjoy the snacks. Other than that, we never really waited in another line all week long. And, some of our wishes came true as the week went on, so again, be patient.

The Van Gogh Museum experience was really neat--but limited by space. We were with a guide and saw some of his most recognized pieces in particular and discussed them, then we went to the experience. We wish we had more time in the museum and gift shop, but the schedule was too tight and couldn't be flexible. We understood that and so we just have something to put on the list for our next trip to Amsterdam.

AmaWaterways staff is fantastic. We found a favorite server and sat in his section for most meals. The Jr. Adventurers ate with the Guides and the Teens had a spot to eat together for dinner. Made for a fun trip for them. My 11 year old was especially thrilled to not have to use his table manners and sit through appetizers to dessert each night.

They did provide surprises and pixie dust during the week...you'll know it when you see it! :) You will love your Adventure Guides. They are pros!

Hey July 1st Cruisers! Have an amazing time this weekend and make sure to take lost of pics and post if you can. I Would love to hear your feedback while onboard or definitely when you get back....heading out on July 15 sailing with 13 in our party. I'm interested in learning if the changes they made will help everyone get the excursions they want. I'm also curious to see if they will include the ABD surprises in your staterooms.... it's those little attentions to detail that make us feel special and keep us coming back. Also would love to hear how the fish extenders worked out... anyone interested innFEs
Hi @lola1972 . We are a family of 4 sailing also on July 15. Fish extenders will be a nice idea to add excitement to the trip preparation and the cruise itself. We will just bring our fish extenders and try to hang it at our doors. we have 2 rooms. We will just probably give out some pixie dusts to those who have their fish extenders at their door. will you be bringing your fish extenders? also for the others in the JULY 15 rhine cruise. kindly advise if you will bring in your fish extenders so we can prepare the surprises specially if you have kids>

Texas Julie or anyone else who was in June 17, a few questions if you wouldn't mind :).

What time did you get in line on the ship to book excursions? On the boat tour in Strasbourg was it an ABD guide doing commentary or was it a prerecorded audio? What was your favorite excursion? In spite of the excursion capacity issues, did you walk away thinking it was a great trip and you were glad you went?

Hoping last answer is yes as we are really looking forward to the trip. Thank you!!!

Texas Julie or anyone else who was in June 17, a few questions if you wouldn't mind :).

What time did you get in line on the ship to book excursions? On the boat tour in Strasbourg was it an ABD guide doing commentary or was it a prerecorded audio? What was your favorite excursion? In spite of the excursion capacity issues, did you walk away thinking it was a great trip and you were glad you went?

Hoping last answer is yes as we are really looking forward to the trip. Thank you!!!

Booking for excursions starts at 3:00. However there were a lot of people in line beforehand (we got to the lounge at 2:50 and were surprised at how many people were already line down up). Then a few of the guide she had computer glitches which made the wait even longer.

My favorite excursion was by far the Anne Frank House. A close second would be the zip lining.

The explanations of the excursions was a bit comical. For example our day in the Black Forest said we'd visit the world's largest cuckoo clock. We literally drove past it at 50km/hour -- we never stopped (not a 'visit' in my opinion). The "hike" to the waterfalls was a 10 minute walk. Lol at the marketing for this excursion -- clever but sneaky. Anyway so the highlight was the zip lining and it was fabulous.

The river tour in France was really nice. ABD had a private boat and a local guide gave the commentary. That day was very hot so not being stuck in a slow-moving group of 60 canoes was lovely.

The guides were good. I can't say that they were great because we never really got to know any of them. This is understandable since we were usually in a group with 40-50 guests and 2 guides. We never had any join us for breakfast or lunch and none of them sat or chatted with us on the bus. There were a few snafus that were frustrating -- for example being told not to take our cell phones, cameras or WATER by the guides for the zip lining. Water was absolutely necessary as it was quite a bit of uphill hiking to get to the course and some uphill hiking between the lines and it was a hot day; this activity lasted for 3 hours so having no water was not acceptable. Also we absolutely could have taken both our phones and cameras -- the local guide asked us why no one had theirs. Plus there were no snacks left when were done our course and we had a 90 bus ride back to the boat. But this was still a great excursion and I highly recommend it. Just take your phones or cameras, water, and maybe your own snacks, just in case.

Funny thing -- I got to know the Hotel Manager on the ship better than any of the guides. That seems a bit strange to me in retrospect. Perhaps they need another guide on these sailings. I would be very conflicted if we had to tip them because none of them stood out to me or did anything that made me think "wow", which is unusual for an ABD tour IMHO. I did tip a few of the ship staff that did super nice things for us. Our cabin steward was beyond outstanding. Our room was thoroughly cleaned twice a day and she did a magnificent job.

Also one of the guides almost left us behind for one of the excursions (it was a large group and we were sitting down in the shade). Luckily we were able to catch up. When I asked what had happened -- how could he leave without doing a head count, he said he did a head count and it was up to us to make sure we made sure we were with the group (totally not true, bit I didn't say anything since we made the excursion).

We got the usual ABD duffel in our room and nightly pins. No pixie dust for us, but I don't expect any so I'm totally fine with this. I heard a few stories of families getting special gifts though.

One tip -- when passing through the area on the Rhine River with the large concentration of castles, do go up to the top deck to listen to the commentary. It's absolutely worth it.

We had a GREAT trip. I hope they work out the kinks on the itinerary, which I'm sure will happen as the summer progresses. I am absolutely glad that we went.

I found that people dressed up for dinner almost every night. I didn't but this is something you might want to consider. I didn't see many guests wearing shorts and t-shirts to dinner and almost wished I had taken a few nicer outfits (I am very limited on the size of baggage for this journey).

For those headed out on the next trip , have a GREAT time!

Booking for excursions starts at 3:00. However there were a lot of people in line beforehand (we got to the lounge at 2:50 and were surprised at how many people were already line down up). Then a few of the guide she had computer glitches which made the wait even longer.

I read somewhere in the thread that getting on the ship early will give one an advantage to avail of the excursions. When did people start lining up? Now I'm getting anxious about getting the excursions that we choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter