Reviews yet on Coco?

I certainly understand why people liked/loved it. I didn't feel that way. The songs just didn't do it for me and there was a lot of music. I thought it needed a bit more comedy throughout to balance out the heavy, sometimes forced emotion. I felt like there was a lot of explaining throughout, we do this, we need to do that. A lot of talking. Visually, parts of it were beautiful as to be expected from Pixar

I certainly understand why people liked/loved it. I didn't feel that way. The songs just didn't do it for me and there was a lot of music. I thought it needed a bit more comedy throughout to balance out the heavy, sometimes forced emotion. I felt like there was a lot of explaining throughout, we do this, we need to do that. A lot of talking. Visually, parts of it were beautiful as to be expected from Pixar

I totally get how someone could feel that way about it.

I do think the music was a key part of the movie, so if you weren't into the music/songs than I cal totally see that impacting ones overall view of the movie. I actually really like the music and am considering getting the soundtrack (which I don't often do) so clearly that is going to impact my view of the movie vs yours

I went expecting not to like the movie and was surprised that I really liked it. It was beautiful. I've never really given Day of the Dead much thought but I found the Disneyfied version pretty interesting. I imagine you would not like the movie at all if your religious beliefs or idea of afterlife conflicted with the storyline.

I haven't seen it yet, but I have already decided not to take my 5yo son to see it. It just seems like it will be "heavy" like Inside Out was. So I expect it to be a great movie, and can't wait to see it myself, just not for little kids.

My friend took his son (6) and he said it was just too heavy on emotional themes and some parts scary for his son. (He cried). That sealed my decision for me.

I haven't seen it yet, but I have already decided not to take my 5yo son to see it. It just seems like it will be "heavy" like Inside Out was. So I expect it to be a great movie, and can't wait to see it myself, just not for little kids.

My friend took his son (6) and he said it was just too heavy on emotional themes and some parts scary for his son. (He cried). That sealed my decision for me.

There were very young kids in the theatre near me and they seemed fine. I'm not sure they got the whole thing? As I mentioned above, there is a lot of talking, explaining everything and I can't see a five-year-old picking up on it all. So if a kid likes loud movies with peril, they will probably be fine.

I would say a slightly older kid who can understand the story would be more of an issue. That's where you might be having some conversations about death later on in the day

Like a lot of Pixar films, there are sort of two levels going on....a higher level with the heavy, emotional themes, and then a perilous, loud adventure which is running parallel

But yeah, I think skipping it with a 5 yo is a safe bet

My family saw it this past weekend and loved it. My kids are 10, 9, 7, and 4. I really think it depends on your kids personalities, mine did fine but it might be too heavy for some.

Liked it, but felt like the whole was somehow less than the sum of the parts.

Definitely didn't leave the theater feeling like I couldn't wait to see it again. I had about the same response that I had with Wall-E or Ratatouille

My wife and I felt this was the best Pixar film since Up. After the last several middling (Inside Out, Finding Dory) or downright awful (The Good Dinosaur) releases, this was the first film in many years that truly captured the Pixar story-telling magic.

We will definitely buy the Blu-ray when it comes out.

I hope this ignites an interest in more original content from Pixar instead of endless sequels, but I doubt it.

My wife and I were all set to take the kids to see it yesterday (6,6, and 8). We showed them the previews and they just yawned and decided to watch Star Wars again for the 10th time. Saved me a bucket of cash. I'm sure I'll still see it when it comes out on one of the streaming services, but it was quite clear that the advertising and previews did nothing for my kids.

My 8 and 5 year olds did fine and both were really into it. My 3 year old was fine for the most part, but I think by the end it was just too long with the previews, Frozen "short", and then movie

The ending is pretty emotional though so you obviously know your child the best and if worried obviously safest to see it first without him and then decide after

My 8 and 5 year olds did fine and both were really into it. My 3 year old was fine for the most part, but I think by the end it was just too long with the previews, Frozen "short", and then movie

The ending is pretty emotional though so you obviously know your child the best and if worried obviously safest to see it first without him and then decide after
Good to know that the Frozen "short" isn't short as well. That makes quite a long movie going experience and will play into my decision. The "see it first" strategy is good in theory, but often hard to accomplish as the parent of young children. Hard to simply find time to get away to see it without them :).

I know my son would get emotional. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I want him to have fun at the movies, not sad -- plenty of time for that in the future.
He is pretty aware of those type of things (I mean he got choked up at the end of the Batman Lego movie, when Batman decides to go back to the Phantom Zone as he promised) .. he picks up on the story and musical cues pretty well (I think) for a 5 yo.

People are loving Coco but apparently cannot say the same about the opening “short.”

https://apple.news/At7hNPu_MQfCFYJY5kuePvw

I thought the Frozen short was pretty good - definitely longer than it needed to be

I don't get all the comments from people who didn't know what was going on and thought they were in the wrong theater ... did you not do any research before picking your movie? And at least in our theater there was a large Olaf right in front of the giant Coco sign in the lobby

I really wish that after the first week or so they would drop the Frozen "TV Special" (that's still what I think it is). I enjoyed it once, but I want to see Coco again and really don't need to sit through the "not-so-short" ahead of it.

We saw it yesterday. My sister and I loved it . The music, the visuals, the emotion. It was really well done. My 5 year old daughter liked it but didn't love it like some movies (she's always more into Disney than Pixar movies). She said she loved the music and the dog but was a bit bored a few times. I actually felt it was a better movie for adults than kids, especially younger kids.

I saw it with my wife (we are both 48) our son (14) and daughter (23) and we all liked it. I am not ashamed to admit that it brought a tear to my eye!

It was a very well done, and moving show, giving wonderful insight to an important aspect of Mexican culture.

I for one would be happy to see Coco take over the Grand Fiesta Tour, I think it is absolutely a perfect fit!

People are loving Coco but apparently cannot say the same about the opening “short.”

https://apple.news/At7hNPu_MQfCFYJY5kuePvw
My husband and I were not fans - "cringey" is exactly how I'd describe it.

I totally forgot there would be a short at all, and once it started playing I just went, "oh yeah..." We were both disappointed that it was Frozen and not a Pixar short like past Pixar movies, and I thought the short itself was awful - and I generally am not a Frozen hater. At one point my husband leaned over and whispered, "did you not tell me about this on purpose?" Like I'd played a trick on him! :rotfl2: Once it was over the woman next to me loudly said, "FINALLY!" My thoughts exactly, lady!

Between the previews, the "short" (which clocked in at 21 minutes) and the weird little intro from the creators before the movie started (which I didn't like, it showed a scene before the movie began that I would have preferred to have seen for the first time *during* the movie), our 10AM showing of Coco didn't actually start until about 10:40!

I thought Coco was visually stunning, and sweet yet it left me with a sad feeling rather than an uplifted one. I think it has to do with what I interpreted as a big part of the message of the movie - that if you "forget" your loved ones they will "disappear". As a teacher, I felt like that leaves a real burden for kids that they may not even be aware of - so parents just be aware of that thought. It does give some perspective to the Day of the Dead and Mexican culture that as an adult I felt was valuable but honestly I was glad my 6 year old niece hadn't gone with us. Would I see it again? Not sure. Was it a valuable film? Yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!