review--GF standard view studio

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
Just thought I'd give some feedback on our GF standard view studio we had one night last week before our 3 night Fantasy cruise. It had always been my dream to stay here but I can never get it at 7 months out. When I booked this cruise at a little over 5 months out (we had a hell of a winter) I was amazed to find the one night I needed open!
We checked in at about noon and our room was not ready. We were prepared for this and had our swimsuits in our bags so we changed and hit the pools. First we went to the pool with the slide. This one is smaller but still nice. We had lunch at the beach grill. DH had a artisanal grilled chicken sandwich and I had the lobster sliders which were AWESOME. It came with homemade chips though and I am never a fan of those, anywhere. DH got tater tots which were a better choice.
Then we went to the bigger pool. Very nice, various depths. Found two chairs right on the edge. I have to also say this has one of the cleanest pool bathrooms I have ever been in.
Our room was ready at 3;17. Room 1621 6th floor. Great view of the monorail on the right and the Polynesian and wedding pavillion on the left. Looked like a dedicated 2 BR on one side and a 1BR on the other side (which could have been a 2BR lockoff with us because we had a connecting door). Our reservation said it was a room for hearing impaired with light alarms--I asked the check in guy about it and he said we wouldn't even notice, but every room at the VGF is full at all times.
Brief shout out for the adorable penguin fountain in the GF lobby!
I think this must be above the room no one likes because I could see how on floor 2 and maybe 3 the view would be right into the overhang of the drop off area. But on the 6th floor is was a great view for a standard! It's fun to watch the various monorails go by and we saw the Incredibles 2 monorail!
No issues with the room. Liked the shower and bathroom layout. Saw a wicked thunderstorm between about 9:30 and 10:30 at night--glad we were in the room and not outside.
We checked out the lobby but we have visited as non-guests before--I got my Basin fix without having to go to the Springs. We also did a monorail loop and stopped off and ate at Kona, which we love. Got in right away without a reservation, at about 530-6PM.
Ate breakfast at Gasparillas at about 7 and it was empty, but more crowded when we left a half hour later. Good selection and nice staff. Did not eat outside because everything was dewy. Got picked up by Tiffany Town Car at 930 and our little stay was over.
I would stay again for a few more nights, but I was glad overall at that cost of points that we got to enjoy the resort itself. I don't know if I would be so happy to spend the points if it was just a place to drop our stuff between park visits!

Just thought I'd give some feedback on our GF standard view studio we had one night last week before our 3 night Fantasy cruise. It had always been my dream to stay here but I can never get it at 7 months out. When I booked this cruise at a little over 5 months out (we had a hell of a winter) I was amazed to find the one night I needed open!
We checked in at about noon and our room was not ready. We were prepared for this and had our swimsuits in our bags so we changed and hit the pools. First we went to the pool with the slide. This one is smaller but still nice. We had lunch at the beach grill. DH had a artisanal grilled chicken sandwich and I had the lobster sliders which were AWESOME. It came with homemade chips though and I am never a fan of those, anywhere. DH got tater tots which were a better choice.
Then we went to the bigger pool. Very nice, various depths. Found two chairs right on the edge. I have to also say this has one of the cleanest pool bathrooms I have ever been in.
Our room was ready at 3;17. Room 1621 6th floor. Great view of the monorail on the right and the Polynesian and wedding pavillion on the left. Looked like a dedicated 2 BR on one side and a 1BR on the other side (which could have been a 2BR lockoff with us because we had a connecting door). Our reservation said it was a room for hearing impaired with light alarms--I asked the check in guy about it and he said we wouldn't even notice, but every room at the VGF is full at all times.
Brief shout out for the adorable penguin fountain in the GF lobby!
I think this must be above the room no one likes because I could see how on floor 2 and maybe 3 the view would be right into the overhang of the drop off area. But on the 6th floor is was a great view for a standard! It's fun to watch the various monorails go by and we saw the Incredibles 2 monorail!
No issues with the room. Liked the shower and bathroom layout. Saw a wicked thunderstorm between about 9:30 and 10:30 at night--glad we were in the room and not outside.
We checked out the lobby but we have visited as non-guests before--I got my Basin fix without having to go to the Springs. We also did a monorail loop and stopped off and ate at Kona, which we love. Got in right away without a reservation, at about 530-6PM.
Ate breakfast at Gasparillas at about 7 and it was empty, but more crowded when we left a half hour later. Good selection and nice staff. Did not eat outside because everything was dewy. Got picked up by Tiffany Town Car at 930 and our little stay was over.
I would stay again for a few more nights, but I was glad overall at that cost of points that we got to enjoy the resort itself. I don't know if I would be so happy to spend the points if it was just a place to drop our stuff between park visits!

Very nice TR on your stay in a VGF Studio! Thanks for sharing and happy you were able to grab one of those oft-spoken of but rarely available Stnd View VGF Studios! :dogdance:

Thanks for the review. We have our first ever stay at VGF and a standard studio. I’m beyond excited!!

Thanks for your trip report. There will be 6 of us in a 2 dedicated bedroom in 5 weeks. I was shocked that it was available less than 7months out.

I have been wanting to stay here since it open. We own at BLT and enjoy the monorail resorts.

We will be doing the parks for a few days and having a day or two just to enjoy the resort. We are celebrating 2 high school graduations. My college age son is bringing a friend he has known since kindergarten, it should be a blast.

I hope you had a great cruise. DH and I are celebrating our 30th Anniversary with a cruise on DCL out of NYC to Bermuda in October. Our family enjoys spending a few nights at either a WDW DVC or VB before our cruises.

I am sure VGF will not disappoint. Thanks again for sharing.

We were in 1421, just 2 floors above the dreaded 1221, and it was lovely! I have pictures of the sunset sky behind a passing monorail. I really don't feel like spending any additional points for a lake view there, considering how nice the standard rooms are.

Those VGF standard views looking towards the wedding pavilion/Poly including a sliver of the lake w/ the monorail gliding by are great, in fact I like that view better than the lake view we had last Dec..
I guess point cost is relative, if I have the points I don’t mind using them to guarantee I don’t end up in a villa with a subpar location or view. It’s sort of like when I take a cruise - I pay more to not stay in an inside cabin even though I don’t spend a lot of time in my cabin - when I am there I like being able to see something nice.
Why is 1221 dreaded?
1221 is a standard view studio that basically overlooks the roof of the front of the villa building, it’s the only truly bad view at the VGF that I’ve seen, although I wouldn’t want one of the villas on the first floor right next to the entry doors either :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter