Review: "Cinderella" is impressive, but was it and "Frozen Fever" necessary?

I've read many reviews praising Cinderella but calling Frozen Fever dissapointing. Uhm... I really like Frozen the movie, but if you want my opinion, Walt Disney Animation Studios should move on to other new projects. I don't see any future for Frozen that doesn't involve repetition and a bunch of Disney executives hungry for money.

Regarding Cinderella, another review criticized exactly the same gags lol I really want to see this one. It actually looks pretty good.

Frozen Fever was better than I thought. Nothing fantastic, but cute. The ending was really good. It is only 7 minutes, you can't expect a full story.

Frozen Fever was better than I thought. Nothing fantastic, but cute. The ending was really good. It is only 7 minutes, you can't expect a full story.

We thought "Frozen Fever " was cute---- absolutely loved "Cinderella

Lily James was amazing and Cate Blanchett should get an Oscar nom !!!

The reviewer actually liked Cinderella a lot, but I want to vent about the title of this article...

I am venting at all reviewers and others that do this, not the author of this review: They say, we don't need another version of X, or ask, "Was it necessary to make this movie?" AHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRG!!!! Of course it wasn't necessary to make this movie or any movie ever for that matter!! There is nothing wrong with retelling loved stories over and over. Any new version of a movie takes NOTHING away from the existing movie. So bring it on! Do the story again. If someone does another Cinderella next year and it very good. Then great! I'll watch it too. Redo all the animated tales as live action. I'll watch them all - provided they are good. Twists like Maleficent or straight up telling like this Cinderella. It is all good. I'll watch the animated versions AND the new ones. And if someone does another Maleficent in 10 years, that will be great. So stop saying they didn't need to make this movie. Any remake or reboot is fine... IF they make a good movie. If not, we will all dismiss it and watch the original over again. And I have been surprised by remakes including Cinderella.

The family and I went tonight. They loved it, but I thought it was an unholy mess. Sometimes it was farce, sometimes it was serious, sometimes it was comedy. And even knowing the story as well as I do, motivation were all over the place, Blanchett went form campy to *****y .. there was never any flow at all. And I honestly could not believe there were almost no callbacks to the original (aside from the mice. They don't speak, but they are still her pals). Not even easy ones. Very odd choice. HBC looked as though she didn't want to be there ... just I a mess.

And it looked cheap, hastily thrown together. Like they saw Maleficent could be a hit and rushed to make another live-action princess. In the theater I saw, HBC's lips didn't sync with her words, but like i said above, she looked like she didn't want to be there at all.

On the plus side, her ball dress (is that a spoiler) was as pretty a thing as I've ever seen on screen.

And while I'm being grumpy, Frozen Fever was a deliberate a money grab. I wonder how long it will take Elsa's new pals to appear for sale. And her green dress, too. No real story, no real anything, just "hey, let's put Anna and Elsa back together!!"

Did have a great line, though -- A cold never bothered me anyway. That was funny.

Last edited:
The reviewer actually liked Cinderella a lot, but I want to vent about the title of this article...

I am venting at all reviewers and others that do this, not the author of this review: They say, we don't need another version of X, or ask, "Was it necessary to make this movie?" AHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRG!!!! Of course it wasn't necessary to make this movie or any movie ever for that matter!! There is nothing wrong with retelling loved stories over and over. Any new version of a movie takes NOTHING away from the existing movie. So bring it on! Do the story again. If someone does another Cinderella next year and it very good. Then great! I'll watch it too. Redo all the animated tales as live action. I'll watch them all - provided they are good. Twists like Maleficent or straight up telling like this Cinderella. It is all good. I'll watch the animated versions AND the new ones. And if someone does another Maleficent in 10 years, that will be great. So stop saying they didn't need to make this movie. Any remake or reboot is fine... IF they make a good movie. If not, we will all dismiss it and watch the original over again. And I have been surprised by remakes including Cinderella.

You're making a lot of assumptions about people not liking remakes or extensions. I don't know if we needed another Frozen, but if we did, we needed something better than that. There was nothing at all to that short -- just a lot of callbacks to the film and new stuff to sell. If you're going to tap into established good will, at least do something with it.

And I'd disagree with the live-action remake. Maleficent made some mistake,s but they at least retold the story (I think they did it badly, but they at least investigated it form a new angle). All this did was redo the animation, take out the singing, throw in obvious backstory and a new villain. There was no re-imagining of the original story, no different way of looking at anyone. Cinderella good, stepmom/sisters bad. Mice helpful. Dress pretty. CGI is your pal. Cinderella's been made about 18 million times in 16 million ways -- this one added nothing new, and even diminished the old -- it cheapens it by stealing elements and then not really developing them.

You're making a lot of assumptions about people not liking remakes or extensions. I don't know if we needed another Frozen, but if we did, we needed something better than that. There was nothing at all to that short -- just a lot of callbacks to the film and new stuff to sell. If you're going to tap into established good will, at least do something with it.

And I'd disagree with the live-action remake. Maleficent made some mistake,s but they at least retold the story (I think they did it badly, but they at least investigated it form a new angle). All this did was redo the animation, take out the singing, throw in obvious backstory and a new villain. There was no re-imagining of the original story, no different way of looking at anyone. Cinderella good, stepmom/sisters bad. Mice helpful. Dress pretty. CGI is your pal. Cinderella's been made about 18 million times in 16 million ways -- this one added nothing new, and even diminished the old -- it cheapens it by stealing elements and then not really developing them.

I wasn't making any assumptions. The sentiments I referenced were stated by various reviewers and commenters on various movies. There is a sentiment clearly stated by some: "How DARE anyone remake this story!" I STRONGLY disagree with this idea. If you dislike it so much, don't ever watch it again. I, many reviewers, and most going to see Cinderella, love it, think its great, and think it adds a great deal to the original story. Many are saying it is BETTER than the original. It is highly reviewed AND getting a very high Cinema score of A. It is the best version of Cinderella I have ever seen. Therefore, I am glad it was made.

But that is my point. Even if I was in the hater category, I'd be glad it was made. Make as many versions as anyone wants and I will watch the one I want. You will never watch it again and you still have the versions you like, no one destroyed them to make this one. I have the ones I like, and this one.

In the art world nobody complains about another mountain or tree painting. No one is upset another version of Shakespeare is produced. Why get upset about another Cinderella? Watch it or don't. I hope they remake it every 10 years. It doesn't hurt anyone. It shouldn't upset anyone. When I love a story I like to read it/see it/hear it over again and love different interpretations. The premise that a story was told once, liked, and therefore no one should tell it again is, well, nothing short of ridiculous. I am SO GLAD Disney and other story tellers aren't listening. Apparently so are a large number of people who go to see these movies.

My daughter probably liked Frozen Fever better than Cinderella lol. I thought it was okay. I felt like they were just slapping us in the face with the same jokes from the movie though. REMEMBER WHEN THIS WAS FUNNY?! IS IT STILL FUNNY? IS IT? IS IT!?!!

Cinderella was beautifully made and and a really lovely re-telling of the classic. They kept mostly true to the story, but the small add-ins didn't change it too much, and I liked that.

The little ones (3-4 year olds) in my theater were mainly there to watch Frozen Fever. Before the movie, they kept asking when Elsa and Anna were coming on. I think this little movie snippet was a great marketing tool to get you in the theater if you were teetering on the edge about taking your Frozen fan child.

Saw Cinderella while visiting my DD and DSIL in California in mid-March. I loved it!!

Frozen Fever frustrated me because it really made Disney look like they're trying too hard. It seemed really forced..
I appreciate the article you linked too because although I loved Cinderella, I really disliked the fairy godmother.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter