Restaurants for Midwesterners?

SpectroBelle

Earning My Ears
We are going to DL for the first time in June and from looking at some of the menus and from visiting So Cal once before I'm getting hungry already! I seriously was going to get ADR for Napa Rose but then checked the menu and it's not my cup of tea. We like meat and potatoes, italian, mexican - those are our favorites. DH likes seafood but I do not. Napa Rose just sounded too different or exotic or something.

Any suggestions? We are having b'fast at Goofy's Kitchen but have no dinner ressies.
Thanks!

SpectroBelle said:
We are going to DL for the first time in June and from looking at some of the menus and from visiting So Cal once before I'm getting hungry already! I seriously was going to get ADR for Napa Rose but then checked the menu and it's not my cup of tea. We like meat and potatoes, italian, mexican - those are our favorites. DH likes seafood but I do not. Napa Rose just sounded too different or exotic or something.

Any suggestions? We are having b'fast at Goofy's Kitchen but have no dinner ressies.
Thanks!
There is alot of stuff available in the parks and downtown disney that you will enjoy. I too like my meat and potatoes and mexican and enjoyed eating at many of the places there. Alot of the carts/counter service in the parks will have food you will enjoy. In downtown disney I ate at tortilla joe's and loved it, it was great food. We also ate at Storytellers Cafe at the Grand Californian. After eating from the carts and counter service in the parks for a couple days, it was a refreshing change for us...very good food. If you are looking for sit down restraunts, I think downtown disney will be your best bet. Most of the places in the parks are counter service with tables on a patio surrounding them.

Hope this helps.

I haven't been there yet, but seems to me the menu for Plaza Inn was more like mom's cooking - good fried chicken, pot roast w/mashed potatoes, etc. You might check that out. There's also Granville's (steak) at the DLH, that sounded yummy.

If you are visiting places outside of the park and come across In-N-Out Burger. Please stop. One of the best 'fast food' meals that you will have. Everything is fresh. Like the fries are from potatoes that they slice right in front of you.. If you go through a drive thru most of them you can see them preparing the food. It is a very nice place and so are the staff..

Never eaten there either, but I'll second the Plaza Inn.

Our personal favorite is French Market -- similar food to Plaza Inn but with steak fries instead of mashed potatoes. I dislike instant potatoes and have a feeling that's what most restaurants serve, which is why I opt for fries instead. French Market also serves a few italian dishes which my dh seems to enjoy. Good food, good music, good atmosphere. :)

French Market sounds good! And I must be really hungry, because now my stomach is growling... Will have to try that out during our stay. :thumbsup2

Yep, the Plaza Inn is great! Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits and tossed salad, whats not to love? Taste Pilots Grill in DCA has great burgers and the ribs are good too. If you like princesses, the food at Ariel's Grotto is good. They have meatloaf, chicken pot pie, fish and chips and burgers. It is a nice atmosphere and way less hectic than other character meals. Its also one of the cheaper character meals. We also love the French Market, I don't think their chicken is quite as good as the Plaza Inn's but the atmosphere, especially if they have the live jazz combo playing is wonderful. The food at Disneyland is very good in my opinion and the portions are huge. Cafe Orleans has soup in bread bowls as does the Pacific Wharf Bakery over at DCA. And the Riverbelle Terrace has good food too. Can you tell I have eaten my way around Disneyland to the tune of a few extra pounds? I think you will find lots to choose from and won't go home hungry! In DTD, there is Rainforest Cafe which basically serves up TGI Friday's style food in a fun, unique atmosphere. They have great burgers and salads. If you have one near you that probably wouldn't be much fun or unique but we don't and have to go each time.

Oh, and you mentioned Mexican. Rancho del Zoccalo in Frontierland has decent Mexican food. Nothing fancy and its not spicy at all but their taco salads, nachos and enchiladas are good. There is another very similar place in DCA called Cucina Cucomonga (sp?) at the Pacific Wharf area. In Downtown Disney, Tortilla Joes has pretty good Mexican food too. We have really enjoyed eating there and they also have a takeout window.

We're going in January for our anniversary and the first place I honed into was Granville's. We lived in Nebraska for 12 years and are meat and potatoes people too! That menu just smacked us right upside the head with - hey! our kind of meal!

Just for the sheer WOW factor, go to the rainforest cafe. I had their turkey wrap and it was awesome... and Im from Idaho! :) You'll hear mixed reviews, but we had 6 people in our party and each one had great food. Maybe it was a good night for the cook, huh? ENJOY!!

Yay we won't go hungry! :banana:

I wasn't too concerned about counter service, I figured we could manage that. I was hoping for one nice sit down dinner for just the 2 of us. Sounds like it might be Granville's. Ooh and thanks for the Mexican suggestions, sounds yummy! :thumbsup2

Now if I can just find a good place to get :surfweb: I'll be :Pinkbounc for joy!

(I love the smilies on this site!)

Thanks for the replies.

Anybody know if there is an In-n-out burger in either Anaheim or the Palm Springs area? (Or any other recommendations?) This is where we're spending the first half of the week.

Thanks

There is on in Anaheim

600 S. Brookhurst St.
Anaheim, California 92804

Sunday through Thursday 10:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m.
Friday and Saturday 10:30 a.m.-1:30 a.m.

Back to search results.

5646 E. La Palma Ave
Anaheim Hills, California 92807

Sunday through Thursday 10:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m.
Friday and Saturday 10:30 a.m.-1:30 a.m.

If you go to their web site they can give you driving directions..

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp?view=all

HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter