Resale = No DVC Perks?

WillowRain

You can find me at Animal Kingdom!
Okay so my mom just spoke to her guide about changing her mind about direct purchase, and he said that if we go resale that we don't get access to DVC events and special discounts. Is that true?

Okay so my mom just spoke to her guide about changing her mind about direct purchase, and he said that if we go resale that we don't get access to DVC events and special discounts. Is that true?

Only if you have only resale points. You can buy resale, and then purchase just 25 points as a direct add on. You may get waitlisted to add those points at some resorts, though.

Her guide will do whatever he/she can to get her to buy direct, so take everything that is being said skeptically and check in places like this with any questions.

Yes! :guilty:

It's still a huge savings though! We bought resale at $80 a point which is less than half of what it is selling direct for.

we don't get access to DVC events and special discounts.

Broadly speaking: Yes, it's true.

However, the overall value of those "perks" is wildly debatable. If you can save $8000, consider how much you have to spend to get the economic value of 10% off merchandise or dining. At saving $100 per annual pass, which you can only buy for immediate household members, that's 80 APs and a non-guaranteed discount (so it can end at any time). To go to a special event, you have to be at WDW when they're occurring, and they aren't always announced 11 months out - and sometimes when they are, they then change the date, as they just did to one in August.

Never buy for the "perks." This is a timeshare real estate interest. The only guarantee of anything for anyone, direct or resale, is that real estate interest. Everything else is subject to change, and has changed many times since 1992 - often not for the better. Original OKW buyers used to get length of stay tickets, for instance.

I bought 160 BLT points for $121 a point (about $20000 after closing), then added on 25 at $185 a point ($4700). For a total of just under $25000, I still get dining discounts, membership perks, etc.
Buying that all direct would have cost just under $35,000. By going the hybrid route, I saved about $10,000 and only lose out on using points for cruises and other exchanges that are not a good rate.

You don’t have access to “Membership Extras.” Those discounts and offers can disappear at any time.

Interesting. Now help me out here because her "guide" also gave her this information. That she will have to find an attorney in Florida and travel there to sign documents, and closing could cost up to 10,000? Is this just them spewing garbage so she finalizes with DVC??

Buy resale first and then do a 25 point add-on contract at the same resort with the same UY.

How can we know if the resort we want would have add on points, or are these always available? Why is this so confusing??? Seriously like this is the most confusing shtuff ever!

Interesting. Now help me out here because her "guide" also gave her this information. That she will have to find an attorney in Florida and travel there to sign documents, and closing could cost up to 10,000? Is this just them spewing garbage so she finalizes with DVC??

You don't need to travel to FL or find an attorney to buy a resale contract. Closing costs depend on the contract cost, but for my two 150pt contracts the closing costs have been around $590 (Fidelity adds a $195 admin cost), but nothing like $10,000. Closing costs if you buy direct are usually lower.

How can we know if the resort we want would have add on points, or are these always available? Why is this so confusing??? Seriously like this is the most confusing shtuff ever!

Once your first DVC membership is in the system, you'll be assigned a guide and they can let you know which resorts have add-on points in your UY. If they don't have any immediately available, they can add you to a waitlist.

Most resorts have readily available add-on points with the exception of VGF, BCV, GCV, and now the Poly. But points can be had if you are patient.

If you want CCV, there are already resale contracts for sale on some brokers websites.

Don't rush into this purchase, take time to research the in's and out's of DVC first. It's a little confusing at first, but it becomes much easier to understand.

Don't get hung up on getting the "perks" to begin with. First figure out what resort, points, and UY (use year) works best for you.

That's what I mean about checking on everything. Resale closing for me was about $600 from the comfort of my own home and bank.

Yes I am so confused. It's one thing to stretch the truth to get her to stay with direct but outright lying to her about these things is really getting on my nerves. Very bad look for Disney right there. I mean anything to keep a commission, I get it, but this is too much.

@Matty B13 , she called me after speaking to the guide and said he told her all sorts of wonderful things about the CCV. We have our own pool, we have our own bag check before we go on the boat (please tell me this is true and we don't have to go main gate bag check because yuck), that soon they are building a DVC lounge there as well, and that it's a great place to own at. I am not denying that, but 178 a point is what is killing me right now. When we can go resale and get more for less. The WL is a lovely resort, we just really fell in love at BLT. So now she's thinking we will just stay put, especially since we have a confirmed reservation for Sept at CCV, and we may keep it or in 6 days she can see if we can move it. Blah, I just don't want to pass up the resale with all those points!

I would go BLT resale. I was in the same shape as you. Buy where you want to stay. Add ons should be pretty easy there due to its big size.

The regrettable truth is some of the guides are lying liars. Some stretch the truth. Some breathlessly discuss rumors that have been made up of whole cloth, and have nothing to do with actual direction (because many of the rumors are legally impossible to make happen, and it is pretty clear the guides are making them up).

If you love BLT I would highly suggest getting BLT. Don't get caught up with the confirmed reservation, for what you save on buying resale you could probably pay for a cash reservation.

Yes, this is the way to go.

I always recommend buying where you want to stay as a top priority. It seems to me that you know in your gut that Disney is not being very upfront when it comes to re-sale discussions (it's not like they have to, but it's not very nice of them). Don't let current reservations, or Disney's guidance force you to make a decision.

In any purchase of this size, you really have to complete some due diligence. Find out what resort works best for you (sounds like BLT), review others opinions, compare the costs, and find out what is the best avenue to make the purchase you want.

It's better to take your time and make the right decisions, than to really regret and not enjoy that decision later on.

Best of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!