Request for sunscreen recommendations post chemo/radiation

VickiVM

DIS Veteran
Hello Dis’ers - Next week we’ll be at WDW for 9 days. I am about 7 months out from my final chemo treatment and 4 months out from last radiation treatment. I know I should be extra careful with sun exposure, but there are so many products out there, I’m overwhelmed. I am Hispanic with my skin tone a bit fair and tend to burn after a few hours in the sun, even with some of the products I’ve purchased before. Anyone who has been through cancer treatments have recommendations? Preferably something I can add to my Walmart delivery since we plan to do carry on luggage only on our flight.

Google EWG Verified Sunscreens for those that don't have harmful chemicals. They have a lot of guidance there. Hope that helps!

I’ve had a dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon recommend 3 sunscreens all available on Amazon. EltaMD UV daily, Image SkinCare Prevention and Derma E Sun Defense. I’ve never seen them in reg stores.

FWIW, as a survivor I used the EltaMD products and it has worked well for me. No irritation or redness, in the areas treated with Radiation. I got it thru Amazon, not sure if Walmart stocks it. Glad you have made it lout the other side from Chemo. Prayers for your continued success in the battle.

Agree with eltaMD but try to get it from a legit source. Sometimes the ones on Amazon are counterfeit and in particular I found out the one I purchased was counterfeit when I realized it wasn’t the same consistency and I went to the reviews and there was a photo of the real product vs the counterfeit one.

I had a cancerous tumor removed from my arm and shoulder in October and this happened while I was having another kind of cancer being treated. The longer cancer problem has been going on for years.

I also use EltaMD products but they are terribly expensive. If you are really being careful, you need to apply a very good amount of the cream all over your face and body and then reapply after swimming or after several hours. Don't forget about your scalp. I went through hundreds of dollars of this high quality sunscreen on a family vacation last year. My doctors insist on this sunscreen but I would be interested in what others use who had or have cancer.

I have been on chemo continuously for the last 2 1/2 years. I have used drug store lotions. Water babies, neutropenia and copper tone spf 50. I have had no sunburns and I do spend time outside. I make sure to generously apply before I get dressed and reapply often. Wear a hat and you can also look into spf clothing.

Thanks for all your recommendations. Yes, some are quite expensive. I found Babo on the EWG site and found the products at Whole Foods. With Prime discount, very affordable. My daughter also gave me her Sun Bum spf 50. I’m not one to constantly apply sunscreen, but will be more disciplined now! And I also got a wide brim hat (and I HATE hats, but hair still not fully grown out). Gosh - I still remember applying baby oil as a teen, and tanning in the back yard!8-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter