Renting camper for campsite

Waiting2goback

DIS Veteran
About two weeks ago I saw some links to companies that have rental campers available at Fort Wilderness. Of course I can't find the links again now that I need them. But, I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these companies? I saw that they slept up to 10 people but that seems tight? Also, I have no problem putting some kids in a tent but given the alligator situation in FL this seems risky. How do they keep the gators away, or do they?

If you do a search various places that will rent campers/travel trailers will pop up. I can easily see a larger unit sleeping 10.

There is really nothing Disney can do that guarantees you won't see a gator. Florida is just a giant swamp after all.

I doubt there are any campsites all that close to water. I feel confident in saying an alligator is not going to make it's way to your campsite at Fort Wilderness.

I am sure I could find a few places that rented but I remember seeing three different links (I thought it was on this thread but I didn't see them again) and couldn't find them. I'd rather see if anyone has actual experience with a company than a random search.
My concern with the gators is, I don't want to be on the news for having my kid dragged off by a gator and then people saying, "What was he thinking, this is FL. Alligators are everywhere". I have never been to FW. Do many people camp in tents?

Maybe the list of rental companies was on the Camping board?

Many people camp in tents. i think there are many campsites exclusively for tents in FW.

One year ago today, we checked into Fort Wilderness in a rented travel trailer. We rented through Greenberg RV rental. They were great! Fort Wilderness was great! We would definitely do it again!

OP, the list of approved trailer rental vendors at Fort Wilderness can be found at this link (click the "Read More" link on the RV Rentals section if they are not already showing in that section):

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/services-amenities/

I suggest you ask any follow-up questions on the DIS Camping Board https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/ lots of DISsers over there have rented trailers.

Bigger units will sleep up to 10 but that generally means using all available sleeping conveyances such as sleeper sofas, dinettes that fold down, etc. in addition to bunk beds and regular beds. You have to decide if it's worth setting them up every night and breaking them down every morning. People in tents are quite common and I would not be concerned about gators in the campground. There are canals around the Fort and they do contain gators (what body of water in Florida doesn't) but the gators are trapped and removed if they are of a certain size. Given the recent sad events, Disney is probably even more vigilant about doing so now. I let my kids sleep in tents on my site.

Bama Ed

OP, the list of approved trailer rental vendors at Fort Wilderness can be found at this link (click the "Read More" link on the RV Rentals section if they are not already showing in that section):

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/services-amenities/

I suggest you ask any follow-up questions on the DIS Camping Board https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/ lots of DISsers over there have rented trailers.

Bigger units will sleep up to 10 but that generally means using all available sleeping conveyances such as sleeper sofas, dinettes that fold down, etc. in addition to bunk beds and regular beds. You have to decide if it's worth setting them up every night and breaking them down every morning. People in tents are quite common and I would not be concerned about gators in the campground. There are canals around the Fort and they do contain gators (what body of water in Florida doesn't) but the gators are trapped and removed if they are of a certain size. Given the recent sad events, Disney is probably even more vigilant about doing so now. I let my kids sleep in tents on my site.

Bama Ed

Thanks. This is what I needed to hear. Everyone's responses make me feel better about sleeping in a tent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter