• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting a PORTABLE scooter

LisaRay

DIS Veteran
We are staying on property but doing one day at Sea World. I have rented scooters several times before but never a portable one. I would just rent on from Sea World for one day and not worry about taking the one I'm using at Disney but SW scooter is $100 per day.

So, has anyone used one of the portable ones? We watched the video (on gold mobility site) for taking apart and putting back together but I am wondering if they are as comfortable and stable as the regular one's I rent. And also, is the battery life approximately the same.

Sorry, but I would just rent one from SeaWorld. That will be a better scooter and will last better on battery. It will be more comfortable, too especially if you are a bigger person. If something happens you can always get the scooter easily replaced at the park.

Lifting the pieces of a portable scooter in and out of a car is not that easy. We have done it for longer trips, but for one day I wouldn't bother. It might be hard to even get a one day rental. Many scooter companies want a three day minimum.

Well I'm renting a scooter for a week to use at Disney for around $200 and we are going to spend just one day at Sea World so I that was the reason I was going to book a portable one. I hated the idea of spending $100 for one at Sea World when I have my weekly scooter rental sitting at a Disney hotel.

I just am not familiar with the portable ones, their comfort or whatever differences they have from the regular ones I normally rent.

I have a Pride Go-Go Sport and I think it is quite comfortable. It comes with a large battery pack that easily lasts thru the day. It can be broken down to several pieces to be placed in the car. You need to be strong enough to pick up about 40 lbs for heaviest piece though. Plus, the battery pack is also velcroed in place so you are pulling straight up against weight and stuck Velcro…something I have trouble with but easy for my husband.

I rented one for my grandma once before and it was fine. She was plenty comfortable from what I remember. The only issue I had was that it didn't really fit in my car with anyone in the backseat, but it's not like I have a big suv anyway. It was heavier than I expected so be prepared for that.

We are staying on property but doing one day at Sea World. I have rented scooters several times before but never a portable one. I would just rent on from Sea World for one day and not worry about taking the one I'm using at Disney but SW scooter is $100 per day.

So, has anyone used one of the portable ones? We watched the video (on gold mobility site) for taking apart and putting back together but I am wondering if they are as comfortable and stable as the regular one's I rent. And also, is the battery life approximately the same.
I used to rent portable ECVs all the time but it was maybe 7-8 years ago. I don't think they've changed much. My husband and son broke it down and rebuilt it and it was easy for them. I found them to be comfortable and stable. I think the battery life is generally less - or the ones I had were less. The regular ECV I rent from Gold mobility can go all day and then some but I often had to charge the portable. However I often had to charge regular ECVs I rented from Buena Vista scooters also (Gold mobility didn't exist back then or I would have rented from them).

The battery life can also depend on your weight. A heavier person is going to tax the battery more...so a 200 lb person can get more mileage before charging than a 250lb for example - is what they told me at the time. I'd ask the rental company what they think especially if that would be a concern. I'm by no means small and I was fine. Since Gold has much better battery life than anything I'd rented in the past, I'd guess their portable ECVs might as well - but its a good question for them.

The first time my mom rented a scooter we were staying offsite and had a rental car/suv. She rented the portable scooter from Gold's and loved it! It was comfy, had a basket, and the battery lasted all day without issue. She actually prefers that scooter to the bigger ones you can rent. But as mentioned above, I'm sure battery-life can depend on many things.FWIW, my mom is fairly small, 5'4 and 105-lbs. The only thing is lifting the battery is heavy and the base of the scooter can be unwieldy. We often take my 2 sons and/or DH who can help load the scooter. When it's just my mom and myself, we don't even try (hence my "excuse" for always staying on WDW property)! Personally, I couldn't see spending $100 for one day for a scooter--I'd tell my mom she can use a manual and I'd push just to save that money.

I always rent from Walker Mobility. There seats are super comfy, battery has always lasted all day and the scooters from Walker are water resistant. When we first rented from them we watched the video on how to take it apart on their website and it was pretty easy once doing it ourselves. The scooters also came with a QR code that we could scan to take us to the video. Highly recommend.

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes if you get one. :) I'm trying to plan a trip in April but am super nervous about depending on the parks having an evc available.

Even Gold Mobility will tell you that portable scooters, even with extended batteries do not last all day at Sea World. Even the Victory 10.2 will get low by the end of the day there, but should last, especially with their newer larger batteries they are using, something that doesn't often happen at WDW. This is simply because of the hills and design of the park there, plus if you try to hit the shows, you often have to go back and forth across the park.

Now, what we do when we want to go to Sea World is rent the Victory 10.2 and then take public transit from Disney Springs to Sea World for about $4 round trip per person. Do note that depending on the bus design it can be a little tricky to get on the bus, but is doable, if you can transfer and someone can assist getting it on, it is a little easier. The ride is also pretty short.

Do note the Maximas will fit on the buses that a double long only and they are about every 3 busses on that route, so that is an option as well.

I've rented both the portable and non-portable scooters from Gold Mobility on different trips. I have a Go-Go Traveler Elite at home, so I feel fairly comfortable using the GM one, the Go-Go Sport. However, the battery is somewhat heavier on the one they have, I think it's a heavy duty battery for park use. I find it to be as stable if not more so, less comfortable, but not uncomfortable. I used it for full days several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter