Rent A Car Or Go With Uber?

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
I'm trying to weigh out the costs of renting a car for a week or just using Uber to get around the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area. I'm thinking Uber will win out not only because of the costs of parking and gas, but just for the convenience of not having to worry about parking.

This is also our first trip to SoCal so driving around an area I'm not familiar with sounds like stress just waiting to happen. We plan on visiting Griffith Park Observatory, the usual Hollywood stuff (walk of fame, etc.), Rodeo Drive, spending a day at Santa Monica Beach, and doing a studio tour.

Is it worth it to not get a car and try to drive around LA and just spend the money using Uber instead?

I would go with Uber or Lyft. Especially if you’re staying within a central part of the area and you’re not too far a distance from the places you want to see. Look into the Lyft promotions for new users. When I signed up on the app last year I received $5 off my first 3 rides (or something like that).

I would go with Uber or Lyft. Especially if you’re staying within a central part of the area and you’re not too far a distance from the places you want to see. Look into the Lyft promotions for new users. When I signed up on the app last year I received $5 off my first 3 rides (or something like that).

We will be staying at the Beverly Hilton, which seemed like a good middle point for everything.

Depending on how many trips you are taking each day, and how much you tip, it may cost more doing uber/lyft but certainly is more convenient to not have to park etc.

Depending on how many trips you are taking each day, and how much you tip, it may cost more doing uber/lyft but certainly is more convenient to not have to park etc.

I’m trying to do just one trip back and forth each day for now and hit all the highlights within walking distance from where we are.

I’m trying to do just one trip back and forth each day for now and hit all the highlights within walking distance from where we are.

Yeah makes sense. I would suggest getting dropped off at Hollywood and Highland center. From there you can see the Hollywood sign from various spots, part of the walk of fame is right outside, and you can walk to the chinese theater etc.

Which studio tour? Have always wanted to do WB, just haven't gotten around to it even though i live 2 hours away.

I see from their website that self-parking at the Beverly Hilton is $42 a day. :scared: That would cover a lot of Ubering! Normally I'd recommend a car for most people visiting LA, but you seem to have a pretty realistic grasp on the distances and limitations. Just allow the extra time for Uber/Lyft and enjoy having a bit of a "tour guide" as you get driven around town.

PHXscuba

One other thing to consider is the big red bus hop on hop off. Pay one price and can see a bunch of sights in Hollywood.

It sounds like Uber is the right choice for you given the high cost of parking at your hotel and reluctance to drive around LA (I do it all the time and hate it, not for the faint of heart!). Uber is great for getting around the city as you avoid the time and effort of finding parking. We often use it when spending the night in LA even when we have a car with us just for the convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!