Relationships are hard

I just read on a Facebook forum, that if you are not in a happy relationship, your face grows old. A lady posted a picture of herself and says she is 62, looks 42 and says she is a product of a happy relationship. What I thought, I sure cannot repeat on here.

Relationships ARE hard. Some are worth it. Some aren't. I've been married, and single, and dating, and in a relationship, and rinse, lather and repeat. It sucks. Keep kissing frogs. You might get a decent prince out it...just don't expect one on a white horse that's perfect. Best of luck. You will find your "one." Never lose hope. It'll be brilliant.

Romantic relationships or just friendship relationships?

I don't think romantic relationships should be hard if it is the right person. It should be natural. DH and I were friends first. In fact, I was dating someone and he liked my friend. That is how we met. But talking to him was easy. Our friendship was easy. That is how it is supposed to be.

I don't think romantic relationships should be hard if it is the right person. It should be natural. DH and I were friends first. In fact, I was dating someone and he liked my friend. That is how we met. But talking to him was easy. Our friendship was easy. That is how it is supposed to be.

Agreed. Sure there are bumps and things to work out over the years but if it's just generally hard then I think you are with the wrong person. Or need to work on yourself.

I always have told DD21 in the years of drama filled teen relationships, "if it isn't generally fun and easy, move on."

I agree with others that relationships shouldn't be hard. Sure, it they take some time and attention, but it should seem hard. If they are difficult, then that particular relationship is not a good fit for you.

Some of my (adult) children have friends that are early into their relationships with significant others. They are struggling so much they are seeing therapists at this point. I think if things are that dire, early on, you need to just move on.

When my niece was having problems with her boyfriend I told her, "These are the best of times, when everyone is on their best behavior. If it is hard now, it will only get worse." She married him anyway and is now contemplating divorce 9 years later with 2 small children.

And even if you do have an issue Christa, that's half the battle - just recognizing it.
I just don't have a lot of experience in dating or relationships in general. I stayed single, after my marriage ended & my daughters were growing up, so I am kinda new to it all. I am sure it will get easier.

At this point I would say it is a more than friends relationship with potential to be a full blown romantic relationship.

The guy I am currently seeing really is a good guy. We started out friends and things just developed into more. There are just things that make it complicated for us. I have wondered if this is what I really want. My last relationship (that only ended a few months ago) was complicated also. I kind of would like something easy. But the complications are things that we can work though. The biggest issue right now was my own doing, my own stupidity but we are working through that too.

Last edited:
I just read on a Facebook forum, that if you are not in a happy relationship, your face grows old. A lady posted a picture of herself and says she is 62, looks 42 and says she is a product of a happy relationship. What I thought, I sure cannot repeat on here.

You thought, "that relationship must be with her plastic surgeon" - right? ;)

Is this the guy you're just not attracted to? Honestly, if it has been a few months and you still do not feel any attraction, then it's probably not meant to be.

I am in the camp with others who say good relationships really are not hard. I mean, you should put effort in, just as you do to anything you do that is of value, but that doesn't mean it's difficult. I've been married for 21 years and with him 4 years prior to that----and I have never thought of our relationship as hard at all.

My last relationship was the epitome of difficult. So much so that I ended up battered and bruised, literally. I just entered into a new relationship and it's quite different. Nothing is "hard" or "difficult". It's so easy to be with them. The only time it isn't easy is when I'm not with them...I suppose I'm in the honeymoon phase. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!