Really high hotel prices Nov 12th-17th

Garrett B

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any idea why hotel prices in Anaheim are 4x-6x higher the week of Nov 12th-17th compared to the week before and after?

Crowd calendars make it look like a pretty good week. The event calendar shows this is the first week of the holiday themes, and starting on the 17th there is a MLP convention nearby but none of those seem like things that should make hotel prices so much. Any ideas?

Does anyone have any idea why hotel prices in Anaheim are 4x-6x higher the week of Nov 12th-17th compared to the week before and after?

Crowd calendars make it look like a pretty good week. The event calendar shows this is the first week of the holiday themes, and starting on the 17th there is a MLP convention nearby but none of those seem like things that should make hotel prices so much. Any ideas?
Here are a couple of snippets of calendars for that time
2017-09-13 01.JPG 2017-09-13 02.JPG

It appears many locations are sold out for the 12th/13th. This is causing the rise in prices. If you eliminate these 2 dates, your prices drops back down or you find available rates.

This year is unusually expensive even for a race weekend, I blame the heart association convention.

I assumed it was the Avengers Race weekend. I'm looking for hotels too and the prices are looking terrible to me.

I'm not sure how much of an impact it would be in Anaheim, but Remembrance Day for Canadians is November 11th. It was my second choice for a weekend to take my DS after our Thanksgiving weekend on October 9th, so maybe other Canucks are travelling that weekend as well.

The EXACT reason is the Disney racers. I've been to DL around Vet's Day and even got a cut rate at PPH. Then....they added the races a few years back and it changed everything. Now that November race weekend drives hotel prices up 6 months in advance (at least), and often fills the nearby hotels 3 months out. It used to be a really slow time time every year, but not anymore. What really REALLY stinks is that Disney invites thousands of runners and their families to do the race, but won't increase the hours or the offerings in their parks.

The EXACT reason is the Disney racers. I've been to DL around Vet's Day and even got a cut rate at PPH. Then....they added the races a few years back and it changed everything. Now that November race weekend drives hotel prices up 6 months in advance (at least), and often fills the nearby hotels 3 months out. It used to be a really slow time time every year, but not anymore. What really REALLY stinks is that Disney invites thousands of runners and their families to do the race, but won't increase the hours or the offerings in their parks.
I'm sorry the runners are interferring with your vacation. However, Veterans weekend has NEVER been a "slow time". I used to say we would not go that weekend because it was so crowded that week.

Basically, hours will be 8am-11pm. Racers (and families) are usually not in the park after 8-9pm. Offerings? We have the opening of Christmas season. We will have the new food offerings, opening of Christmas parade, the Holiday tour, rides with the overlay.... How do you want them to extend their hours? Park isn't going to open earlier.

Oh, and I screwed up and forgot to book my room until 3 weeks ago. Got the DLH for $399 a night.

Oh, and I screwed up and forgot to book my room until 3 weeks ago. Got the DLH for $399 a night.

Not exactly in my price range since I like to pay that for about 3 nights. That's pricey for me. And now they're all completely booked per disneyland.com.

Also, Courtyard Marriott Water Park is over $400/night. Hilton - $900/night. Hyatt Place - $400/night. But I just looked up hotel prices on Orbitz for the week of Thankgiving, Monday before to the Monday after, and you can find Hyatt Place at $208, CMWP at $278, and availability at HoJo, Desert Palms, Castle Inn, and Grand Legacy. A major holiday like Thanksgiving, and there are still rooms (some at decent prices) just two months out. But the race weekend has nearby Harbor and Disney hotels nearly booked solid.

It just seems to me, from these numbers, that the races affect DL far more than most realize. And I can personally vouch for that, going before or after that weekend the last 4 years. The crowds and hotel sell-outs have gone up wildly the last two years. When approaching the OP's question, the answer is definitely in the Disney races.

As for how that will affect crowds (to the OP), Monday will be pretty busy (especially at security) as racers will hang around for a day or two to enjoy the parks. By Wednesday, it'll start to clear up. If you were to book a hotel starting on Nov 13th, you'll see hotel prices take a nosedive. Not sure if you can move the date one day, but it might be worth it.

It's almost certainly the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions (I'm going to them, and have a room at the Hilton for $200). That's about 20,000 doctors and other professionals who, unlike some conventions, almost never share rooms. And considering there are only about 20,000 rooms in all of Anaheim... The race weekend is surely adding to it some, but that should mostly be over by the first part of that week.

Yes, the race brings in about 13-14000 runners. Many are families. For example, we travel as a group of 7. Of those 7, 6 run (I don't.) Most are like us. I'm trying to think of a family in our group (about 12 families) other than me where someone in the family isn't running in a race. A lot live local. Heck, I know a few whose kids run the 5K Friday morning, then head to school! (Won't need to this one as it is a holiday.) And I don't personally know any who will be staying past Sunday as Monday is workday/school day. Yes, I am sure there will be a few, but the vast majority will be heading home Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter