RCL vs Disney cruise line. We miss the magic.

AussieNSW

Mouseketeer
We are currently on the RCL Radiance of the seas sailing towards Brisbane on an 8 day cruise. I decided that we would give RCL a try after having only ever sailed on Disney and never having left from Sydney before.
I assumed as this cruise was in school holidays that it would be aimed towards families and its activities would have a young vibe. I was wrong it is aimed towards the pensioner set. They have thrown in 2 family movies during the cruise but they are shown in a tiny cinema and the quality of the screenings is poor I think it might have to do with the screen. The food is below average and if you want to get a soft drink after 9pm or a snack the hunt begins.
We tendered at Arlie beach and it took 40 min from the boat to shore. I know they have had a terrible time with the cyclone and the people of Arlie did a great job and I feel sorry for them but we should have gone somewhere else. RCL were aware that people went on this cruise to see the reef and they new before we sailed that all of the excursions except basic ones looking around the township had been cancelled but we still went their. Due to the damage you couldn't even swim as it wasn't safe. We spent maybe an hour there and brought as much as we could from the market but it was boring.
I also hated that when you enter instead of being welcomed you walked through an area where you are harassed to buy extra things drink packages, Internet packages, spa packages, food packages, photography packages and it doesn't stop.
There is also to many days at sea with only activities for older people for example art auctions and how to remove wrinkles.
If I sound disappointed then you have got it right. I feel I have made a big mistake and will not make it again.
I know Disney cruises are expensive but at least at the end of it I don't feel like I have been ripped off.
We have a cruise booked for Alaska this year with Disney and I had been second guessing myself about it but not any more.
I am excited to go back to the Disney Magic from the quality of the staff, food, activities and the ship.

Only been on 1 cruise which was disney - Western Caribbean - January this year. We didn't have much luck with our port adventures - all cancelled due to a storm that was heading the boat, but still had the best time. Have been thinking of other cruises such as princess and RCL - but you just settled it for me. Time to save and do another DCL. You hit the nail on the head, while they are a bit more expensive, you do feel you are getting value for money

Our first cruise was a disney cruise - which we all loved. Our next one was on RCI but with Voyeger, we really went in trying not to compare it to the disney cruise because we knew it would not come close. We did find every now and again we would but was able to accept it for what it was. We actually ended up having an amazing time in the end, the kids had a blast and met some great friends they are still in contact with. Unfortunately the Radiance is known for the older crowd. which does worry me as we are planning on doing her from Hawaii to Sydney next year. If Disney sailed from Australia I dont think there would be a question on who we would sail with but the airfares for a family of 6 plus the additional costs for cruising disney is out of our price bracket. Our next planned WDW trip isnt till 2020 (I know forever away) and a disney cruise is on the cards for that.

I would have thought that they would have changed the itinerary due to the detestation up there, maybe there were no other options available to change too.

Its good that you have an upcoming cruise with disney to look forward too :)

Awe I'm sad to hear the cruise isn't living up to hope.

I find on RCL with kids you need to be on bigger boats. Freedom class and oasis class are our faves with our son.

Radiance class is what we take when just DH and I as you have
Found much slower pace. Especially with teens the bigger rccl boats can be great.

Did a Disney cruise Jan 2016, yeh it was good apart from missing CC.
Did a cruise on Carnival Spirit in March from Sydney. Was fantastic, service was top notch, food excellent, in fact I think the food in the dining rooms was a tad better in quality than Disney.
There were plenty of food choices and places to eat, 24 hour free pizza and ice cream.
Had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to use Carnival again, also the plus of no tipping and no service charge on drinks! Service didn't deteriate because of this.
Disney is good yeh, but way to expensive.

Sorry you didnt enjoy it, but I understand your issues.

I am hoping with the introduction of the two new ships, we may get a ship down this way, linking the Asian and Australian ABD trips... One can dream right. Walt said so!

Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your cruise.
Having not been on RCI, I can't compare directly. However having cruised with 5 lines now (one being Disney and two with reputations way worse than RCI), I'm not yet convinced that Disney are the only way to go.
While I loved the Disney Fantasy, I also loved the budget cruise line Costa, and I think it's because there are just so many things that add to your overall experience when doing a cruise.

Some of these things Disney does extremely well e.g.
- Theatre productions
- Child facilities and entertainment
- Cabin size
- Decor and Public spaces
- less nickel and diming than some cheaper lines.
- Palo

Whereas, there are a few areas in which I find Disney to be less appealing e.g.
- Overall price
- Food in main dining rooms (it's the worst I've had in 5 cruises)
- A lack of daytime organised adult activities
- Limited port choices

Do I think the top list outweighs the bottom one? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. When it comes to an added $1000+ pp, the answer is probably going to be a no.

I am going to cruise Disney again one day, but in the meantime, I do love all the competition and selection out there.

WanderlustNZ, I think you hit the nail on the head with your good and bad points.

We have only cruised with Disney as a family. As a Canadian it is getting harder to justify the higher cost of a DCL. We have considered RCL but I also don't want to waste $ and be disappointed. Maybe I should consider Carnival as well. I think I might miss the Disney vibe though....

Thanks for the info

Starting to get excited for our Disney cruise in June. We are going to Alaska. We are taking our eldest daughter with us this time. She has missed out before due to uni and work commitments. At the end of our holiday she will be leaving us to work overseas for 18 months. She has never been on a Disney cruise so I am very excited to share it with her. We have a busy trip planned once again.
I always feel if I am going all that way why not go to other places as well.
We fly from Sydney to Honolulu for a few days, then to onto Anaheim for a few days ( can't be that close and not go to Disney). We then fly to Vancouver for a few days before the cruise to Alaska and then onto Calgary, Banff and lake Louise. We then fly back to Vancouver leaving on a direct flight back home to Sydney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!