Ranking the intensity of the motion simulators

Linkura

DIS Veteran
I'm contemplating a trip to Uni in the next few years- the first since I was a young child. One of my concerns is the proliferation of motion simulators. I used to have no issues with them, but now I do as I've gotten older for some reason. I can't do Star Tours anymore. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to rank the intensity of the motion simulators at Uni. Throwing Star Tours into the ranking would be very helpful as I'd want to avoid something rougher than it. But I would like to try the easiest sim at Uni and potentially work my way up the list.

Additionally, here's a list of rides at WDW I have issues with to further flesh out the rankings, or perhaps to let me know any non-sim rides to avoid. If it's not listed, it's not an issue in regards to motion sickness:
Star Tours
Tower of Terror
Expedition Everest (the backwards part mainly)
Mission: Space Orange only, green is fine

Thank you for any advice. :)

IMO, I'd go like this:

For "stationary" (in that there is movement of the seat, but no ride track)

Minions non-motion seats
Jimmy Fallon Race through New York
Minions motion seats (probably closest to Star Tours)
Simpsons

For the hybrid motion/track rides:

Kong (side to side and bumps)
Gringott's (fast motion, some spins)
Spiderman/Transformers (lots of quick movement, sudden stops, fast spinning)
Forbidden Journey (motion screens with practical effects sections, but motion in multiple axis' that some find dissorienting)

If Expedition Everest is ok with you you should be ok on Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit and even The Mummy (although it too has mild directional change, not as extreme as EE).

Last edited:
Thank you! That helps a lot. I'll start with Kong and Minions then.

Edit: And by Minions I mean stationary of course. :)

Last edited:
I also get motion sickness and had no problem with Kong (Fast & Furious is rumored to be just like Kong), Gringotts, the Mummy (backwards part is very short). Forbidden Journey almost killed me!!! Transformers was ok. I refuse to go on Simpson's because I hear it is the worse to ride.

Simpsons was the one that made me feel worst. Minions was 2nd. I actually had no problems on any others.

I was actually going to ask about Jimmy Fallon so I’ll piggy back here.

What is the motion like for Fallon?
Any other WDW or Uni comparisons?

I’ve been on them all, but my wife can’t do motion really beyond Soarin or Shrek. The Minion stationary seats were great, by the way. I wish other rides offered something similar.

I was actually going to ask about Jimmy Fallon so I’ll piggy back here.

What is the motion like for Fallon?
Any other WDW or Uni comparisons?

I’ve been on them all, but my wife can’t do motion really beyond Soarin or Shrek. The Minion stationary seats were great, by the way. I wish other rides offered something similar.
I felt Fallon was very similar to Minions as far as the motion.

I now use a Scop patch to go to the parks and can ride anything I want without issue. Only did Uni once without the patch and ended up skipping too many rides. I did FJ once and swore I'd never ride it again.

If I wasn't wearing a patch, I'd avoid Mission Space Orange, Simpson's, FJ, Spiderman/Transformers, Fallon/Minions (in order from the worst impact to the least).

I don't think Gringott's would bother me without a patch.

The spinning in MIB and Toy Story Midway Mania are enough to make me not feel great for a bit after riding (again, without the patch).

Tower of Terror - the first time I rode it, it gave me a bad headache (which I never get headaches), but it didn't make me motion sick. I really wanted to like it, so I tried again that same trip about 3 more times (all without a patch and with no headaches) and now it's probably my favorite WDW ride.

Never been on Star Tours.

The backwards parts of Everest and Mummy never bothered me without a path.

I felt Fallon was very similar to Minions as far as the motion.

I now use a Scop patch to go to the parks and can ride anything I want without issue. Only did Uni once without the patch and ended up skipping too many rides. I did FJ once and swore I'd never ride it again.

If I wasn't wearing a patch, I'd avoid Mission Space Orange, Simpson's, FJ, Spiderman/Transformers, Fallon/Minions (in order from the worst impact to the least).

I don't think Gringott's would bother me without a patch.

The spinning in MIB and Toy Story Midway Mania are enough to make me not feel great for a bit after riding (again, without the patch).

Tower of Terror - the first time I rode it, it gave me a bad headache (which I never get headaches), but it didn't make me motion sick. I really wanted to like it, so I tried again that same trip about 3 more times (all without a patch and with no headaches) and now it's probably my favorite WDW ride.

Never been on Star Tours.

The backwards parts of Everest and Mummy never bothered me without a path.

Thanks for the Fallon info. I assume there’s no motion-less seat option?

Now go get a patch and ride Star Tours. If you can do the others, you can do that. It’s a fun ride!

Thanks for the Fallon info. I assume there’s no motion-less seat option?

Now go get a patch and ride Star Tours. If you can do the others, you can do that. It’s a fun ride!
I don't remember seeing any stationary seating. Thinking more about it, Fallon had most of the motion of Minions, but it didn't pitch you around as much.

We've only been to DHS once since I started using the patches and no one else wanted to ride ST. My wife tried the first time we were there and felt claustrophobic before even loading, so she left. One daughter also wears a patch, but some rides still bother her. And the other 2 daughters didn't really care for the ride.

One of these trips, I'll try it even if I have to go by myself. Star Wars isn't a big draw for me, so I don't feel a big need to try it. I don't see us going back to DHS until a few years after Star Wars land opens.

I would caution the comparison of EE to the Hulk...they both may be coasters, but they're not remotely equal in terms of motion or G-forces...

I cannot ride Star Wars at all. I avoid Simpsons at Universal. Forbidden Journey also makes me sick unless I take less drowsy dramamine. It allows me to ride it but doesn't allow me to ride Star Wars. Everything else at Universal, I have no problems with.

I would caution the comparison of EE to the Hulk...they both may be coasters, but they're not remotely equal in terms of motion or G-forces...
I am DEFINITELY skipping Hulk and RRR. Just looking at those makes me give a big NOPE. My husband can try them if he wants to!

Also definitely skipping Dr. Doom's Fearfall.

The Simpsons is the only one that has gotten me a tiny bit queasy. But when my daughter was six that was the only ride she wanted to ride and we did that maybe 8 or 9 times almost in a row.

Escape from Gringotts is beautiful but has a short drop in the beginning of the ride.

Transformers and Spiderman move a bit, but they shouldn't get many people motion sick.

I have heard that Forbidden Journey has triggered some kind of motion sickness from some people. It takes you almost for a full circle, but no drops or anything. It's like being held by a giant and just moved around.

Jimmy Fallon is a nice ride on our mind. We rode it many times. It's in the same style as Shrek and The Minions. It's a movie theater with seats that move a little bit.

Kong is screen on both sides and the truck you are in will move a lot. But I wouldn't think it triggers motion sickness. Maybe for some people, but it is such a nice blend of real world movement and simulation.

These are the simulators in the parks.

I too was worried about the motion simulators at Universal before our first trip. At Disney, I can ride EE and Star Tours but I suffer from a bit of dizziness and motion sickness afterwards.

At Universal, I tried all the motion simulators, including Mummy, Forbidden Journey, Kong, Transformers, Spiderman, Gringotts, etc. and I didn't feel dizzy on any of them. I think it would be fine as long as you don't ride them multiple times in a short period of time.

I too was worried about the motion simulators at Universal before our first trip. At Disney, I can ride EE and Star Tours but I suffer from a bit of dizziness and motion sickness afterwards.

At Universal, I tried all the motion simulators, including Mummy, Forbidden Journey, Kong, Transformers, Spiderman, Gringotts, etc. and I didn't feel dizzy on any of them. I think it would be fine as long as you don't ride them multiple times in a short period of time.
Cool. I definitely plan on giving them a shot, doing the "weakest" ones first and working my way up until I start to have issues. And taking breaks in between.

Oh goodness, I'm worried for you if Star Tours was bad. I have a suggestion that helped me immensely. I get sick on everything including cars and planes. Dramamine is not an option because the one time I tried it, I left the park 2 hours later because I was so tired. I hadn't realized they make you drowsy. I used Dramamine Naturals on my last few trips and they're my absolute requirement for the rest of my life! They're just a super high dose of ginger, so make sure you have a snack when you take them or they kind of make your stomach sting. I was able to spin my daughter into oblivion on the tea cups and do all the other rides with no problems at all.

That being said, I still hate the Simpson's ride. It hurt me and my husband's necks and backs a lot and we had to take motrin. We like Spiderman and most of the other ones too. The Transformers rise is rough too, but not as bad as Simpson's. But if you conquer your motion sickness with those pills (I have had no luck finding them in stores, only online) then they should all be ok if you don't have back issues.

Oh goodness, I'm worried for you if Star Tours was bad. I have a suggestion that helped me immensely. I get sick on everything including cars and planes. Dramamine is not an option because the one time I tried it, I left the park 2 hours later because I was so tired. I hadn't realized they make you drowsy. I used Dramamine Naturals on my last few trips and they're my absolute requirement for the rest of my life! They're just a super high dose of ginger, so make sure you have a snack when you take them or they kind of make your stomach sting. I was able to spin my daughter into oblivion on the tea cups and do all the other rides with no problems at all.

That being said, I still hate the Simpson's ride. It hurt me and my husband's necks and backs a lot and we had to take motrin. We like Spiderman and most of the other ones too. The Transformers rise is rough too, but not as bad as Simpson's. But if you conquer your motion sickness with those pills (I have had no luck finding them in stores, only online) then they should all be ok if you don't have back issues.
I'll have to give them a shot!! Thanks. :)

For me, The Mummy and Gringotts were ok. I did NOT handle Forbidden Journey well at all. Once I heard about The Simpsons, I just stayed away.

I was fine on The Hulk. Roller Coasters I'm ok. Spinning I am not. Simulation, I am not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter