Race Reports for 6/9 and Encouragement/Kudos!

Monica said on "The Calendar" thread that she got her event nixed today by the doc that is treating her.

Monica, hope you are better soon.

Leana, good pics and a good race report.

Andrew, glad you and DW had a good event. The Race for the Cure events are are amazing to be part of and provide definite motivation for me. We don't get chips for ours. We participate and keep track of our own time.

And, since we had two WISH Team members working on making sure our WISH Team was having support by starting the threads, I figured it would be ok to merge the two threads.

Hope it is ok with you.

Leana...great job on your race and really cool pictures!

Andrew...now what were you saying the other day about needing a crash cart for a 9 minute pace? Great job on your race!

Andrew- Great race, great report, and great time! What a good cause you were running for too. Congratulations on your next step to become a marathoner.

Leana- Also a great race and time. The pictures were beautiful. Thanks for posting them.

Andrew--great race and report!!!

Leana--great race and love all the pictures--yummy breakfast!

Andrew-Great job on you race!!! Sounds like a really great race.

Leana--Great job on your race!! I love the pictures, looks like a beautiful race course.

Bad me for not putting in that calendar....but....

I did my first 5K this morning! It was the Seattle Furry 5K that supports the Seattle animal shelter. People are encouraged to bring their dogs, and after the race there was a pet expo and pet tricks contest. I chose this one because I knew it wasn't super competative and scary--a good first timer's race.

It didn't start until 10 am, so I spent the morning puttering around the house and hitting the grocery store. Also took my dog for a walk (1.1 miles. He wasn't coming with us because he has some on-leash issues that would be a huge deal with so many other dogs and people).

We had to park about .65 miles away, but that was a nice little (downhill) warm up. We arrived around 9:30 and picked up our race numbers and goody bags, although we handed the bags right back because we didn't want to carry it around OR walk it back to the car. We just sort of hung around looking at all of the different dogs playing around.

The start was sort of confusing. Runners (aka people who elected to be timed with the chip thing) were meant to start at 10 and walkers (no chip/no timing) were going to start at 10:10. We had decided to be walkers because I didn't want to get in any runners way, and we have a garmin to time us anyway. We stood off to the side and the announced the runners to start. However, it looked like pretty much anyone could start then, as tons of people with the green (walker) numbers just went. We waited about 6 minutes before deciding to just go too, as we did not want to get stuck behind the huge throng of people coming.

The first mile was CRAZY. I had hoped to hold a 15:15 for the first mile, but knew if would be difficult because of the people, dogs, stollers etc. I pulled out my best tourist ducking moves and zig zagged around (I was really happy at this point to not have a dog!) DH said I took off like a rocket. When we finally got ahead of most the crowd, I realized we had been doing like a 13 minute pace! A little fast for me, but I felt ok. We slowed down slightly and the first mile was 13:50.

Mile 1.5-2.0 was a long slightly steep hill. I was doing ok, but certainly not going that fast :) DH charged up it though. The nice part was the downhill return was a little longer, and it was a good recovery area. We actually jogged down for part of it.

Last .5 mile or so was flat again into the finish line. It was really fun to cross one, I've never done that before. There were loads of people cheerings. So fun!

My total time was 44:26, or a 14:17 pace. I usually go 3 miles during a workout, so the distance was comfortable, but that was A LOT faster then I tend to go. Like I said, I would have been pretty happy with a 15 or 15:15 mile. This was much better.

The expo was cute, but I was tired and wanted to get out of there. The walk back up to the car was KILLER! The hill was very steep, and again, about .65 miles. Even DH, who rarely complains about walking, was super bummed about it :lmao:

I cannot wait to try something like this again! I esp. can't wait for the 1/2 in January. The energy of this type of event is awesome, and I can't wait to experiance it again :)

Bekkiz - Congratulations on your first race! It sounds like a great event. I couldn't ever take my dogs to anything like that either - Maggie wants to bark at all the dogs that are bigger than her.... I find that my race pace too is faster than my training runs. Chalk it up to the race day adrenalin! Way to go!

bekkiz - Way to go on your first 5K!!! That last uphill walk back to your car was something you could definately do without. Great Job!!

bekkiz, Congratulations! on your first event. What a smart one to pick.

Great report. You will so be feeding off the excitement for that half. You'll have no trouble at all.

Bekkiz - Congrats on a great first race:cheer2: !! Glad it inspired you to consider your next racing endeavor.

Andrew - Wonderfully inspiring race report:woohoo: . Glad you guys had a great time.

Leana - Awesome race report with pics:cool1: :woohoo: !!

Andrew – Nice finish time. Congratulations to you and Darcy!:woohoo:
Leana – Congratulations! Nice photos.:thumbsup2
Bekkiz – Congratulations on your first 5k!:yay:

Andrew: Congratulations on a good time and helping a great cause.

Leana: Thanks for the pictures. Congrats on your race.

Bekkiz: I'm glad that your first race was such a positive experience. Be careful, it can be addicting. Congrats on your good time.

Cindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter