R: Some NEW cookie recipes. . .

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
MsSocks was here this afternoon & we finally got started on our cookie baking. We tried 3 new (to us) recipes & I thought I'd share.

By far, my favorites were the Luscious Lemon Snaps

2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c white sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbl lemon zest
3/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c fresh lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets. Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt & lemon zest. Make a well in the center & fill with oil, lemon juice & vanilla. Stir everything together until it forms a dough. (Alternate method: Put everything into the food processor and blend until dough forms.) Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake 10 - 12 min. Edges should be golden brown. For a softer cookie, bake only 7 min. Cool on racks & store in airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen

*** We made the softer version. By softer, I think it means chewy - as opposed to crispy. They were not "soft" as in cake-y. Our yield was ~6 dozen. And because they were so thin, they broke if not allowed to cook on the TRAY before moving to the racks. Nice lemon flavor & definitely luscious! :D

Dreamscicle Cookies

1 1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c buttermilk
1 c white chocolate chips
3 Tbl orange powdered drink mix, such as Tang
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
Glaze:
1 tsp butter or margarine
3 Tbl powdered orange flavored drink mix, such as Tang
1 c confectioner's sugar
water or milk

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease baking sheets. Cream shortening & sugar together until light. Add eggs &vanilla, mixing well. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Add buttermilk mixture, salt, Tang, flour & baking powder to shortening mixture. Mix well. Stir in white chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Frost cookies while still hot with Tang Glaze.

To Make Tang Glaze: Combine butter, Tang, 10x sugar plus enough water or milk to reach a thick yet still pourable consistency & beat until smooth. Yield: 38

***I don't know where they got the yield on this one either - using tsp-sized drops, we got 8 dozen! I don't think 1 cup white chips was enough. A number of cookies wound up without any chips. The baking time on this was a little long, I think. Ten min was more than enough!

My least favorite of the 3 - Lemon Kiss Cookies

Lemon Kiss Cookies

1 1/2 c Butter
3/4 c Sugar
3 Tbl Lemon juice
2 3/4 c Flour
1 1/2 c Almonds, chopped
14 oz chocolate kisses

Powdered Sugar
1 Tbl Shortening
1/2 c chocolate chips

Beat butter, sugar & lemon juice until light & fluffy. Add flour & almonds; beat at slow speed until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour for easier handling. Heat oven to 375. Use a tablespoon of dough to completely cover each chocolate kiss. Roll in hand to form ball. Place on ungreased cookie sheet & bake for 8-12 minutes or until set & edges are lightly, golden brown. Cool for a minute before removing from cookie sheet, cool completely. Lightly dust cookies with powdered sugar. In small pan, melt chocolate chips & shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over each cookie. Yield: 5 dozen

***I screwed up when buying almonds for this recipe, so part of the problem with these may have been my fault. I confused recipes & thought I was supposed to put the almonds in the blender anyway, so I got Almond Meal - finely ground, more like gritty flour. I only used 3/4 c because they would have been too dry with the full 1 & a half cups. They seemed okay when shaping around the kisses, but were very crumbly when done.

I don't know whether air-insulated pans affected the outcome, but they did not get golden brown even in 15 - 18 min! I tried taking them out before they were golden brown on the edges & couldn't get them off the pan in 1 piece. I think the time required was closer to 20 min - and they didn't get golden brown until I put them on the lower rack.

Because they were so crumbly, I didn't want to handle them again to dust w/ sugar & drizzle w/ chocolate. They're tasty this way, though. The cookie sort of has the consistency of shortbread. (At least w/almond meal. ;))

We also made peanut butter cup cookies, but I've done those before & knew what to expect. (The ones that are pb cookies with a Reese's mini in the middle.)

Deb

Has anyone else tried new recipes this year???

Girls, you are better women than I, that in one hec of alot of cookies... whew!
the new ones sound yummy! Those dreamsicle ones-wow! gonna have to try these
My war cry during Christmas is gonna be.. Pass the insulin Please ;)

Well, since MsSocks is the younger sister (do I get big C;mas present points for saying that??? ;)) she was ready to make a batch of Eggnog Snicker Doodles & a batch of regular Snicker Doodles, too! I'm the one that cried "uncle!" My back was killing me!

I guess it was all the extra energy expended baking, but I woke up at 4am both Sun & Mon with blood sugar under 40. Eating a couple of Lemon Snaps didn't make a difference in my insulin requirement. :D :D :D

I wish I could COUNT on that! :D

Not only am I the younger sister but I am also the weakest link. I had worked in the ER for 5 hours before going to Piratesmate's house, then baked cookies for 4 hours, then had to go to Walmart to buy food for the pigs....uuummmmm......I mean, kittens. My grandmother would have looked spry compared to me trying to climb out of the car. And she has passed away and STILL would be more spry? sprier? .....oh crap = more flexible!

The trick is, never stop moving. Ever.

:D

You guys are too funny...if my younger sister were in the kitchen the fire department would be on my front lawn in full gear!! She can't boil water which is sad for a 35 year old!!

The 8th dwarf...cranky now that dwarf seems to be getting around these days!

Thanks for sharing the lemon snaps recipe I'll have to try that one!

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter