Questions about my digital camera

Marseeya

<font color=blue>Drama Magnet<br><font color=deepp
Hey all, I have some questions about my digital camera. I have a Fujifilm Finepix S5100 that I bought for our trip last year. I bought a couple of digital photography books and read the instruction manual that came with the camera (might as well have been written in Chinese!), but I really never learned to use it to its full potential. Classes are out of the question, as I've looked for them and haven't found any where I live.

Do any of you have any good book recommendations that will explain in detail all the different functions of a digital camera (fstop, shutter speed, things like that)? Any websites?

I know one thing I would have benefitted from with that camera would have been having a tripod. This particular camera doesn't have an anti-blurr feature, so I can't take any decent pictures without the flash. Is there a decent tripod I can use that would also be portable? Is it even worthwhile to carry around the parks at WDW without being a major pain in the rear?

I'd appreciate any tips or pointers you an give me! :wave2:

Shells9 said:

This is the book I would also recommend. I'm am reading it now. I have a new Nikon D50 dSLR and its been almost 20 years since my last photo class and I've been away from SLR's for a quite a few years. This book is excellent. A lot can also be applied to P&S digitals as the majority of them also have a Manual mode where you can set the ISO, f/stops and/or shutter. This book gives you a very good understanding of that process and how it can effect pictures.

I don't have the Fuji, but on my digital P&S there are different setting you can use like sports, landscape, portrait, nighttime, ect that will change the f/stop and shutter speeds for you. I would always use either the auto, portrait, or sports settings when I used my P&S. Just something to think about.

If you've read the manual, read books, and are still confused, I don't think the answer is another book - at least not until you are grasping the basics. My guess is you probably do understand the basics more than you think, you just aren't confident in what you know. Ask some questions here on the things you aren't sure of. People like to help.

Oh, and I fully agree about the value of a tripod. A tripod will do much, much more than any anti-blur feature. If you don't feel like taking a full-sized tripod around with you, get a mini-tripod. You'll usually have to prop it up on something, but it'll make a *huge* difference in your nightime pictures.

I have just invested in a digital SLR and like you hadn't realy got a clue (always been a point and shoot ) we have got the digital photograpy for dummies it is good because it treats you like a novice instead of someone who knows what they are doing straight away.

On my list of things to buy (it grows and grows) is a monopod. Less bulk to carry around and most times all you may need for extra stability...

E.

I have a tripod, but I would like a monopod as well. DD is a figure skater and it sure would be nice to use.

I just found this dvd, which I am going to order, and comes highly recommended to help me as well.

I have a tip or 2.

I am not familiar with your camera, but I can relate our experience. We bought a (at the time) 'prosumer' digital camera about 5 years ago. At that time the D-SLR's were another mortgage on the house, so we made do. Our new camera had many features that allowed the user to 'take over' the camera (in other words--NO AUTO!!).

The first thing we did was set it so that the ISO setting was fixed at 200 (worked well for this particular camera).

Then we set it at aperature priority (usually wide open) and allowed the camera to choose the shutter speed. (At this point we got into using a tripod). We were more pleased with our pics at this point (we tend to take landscapes/low-lighting pics so we can get away with this).

Once we were comfortable with this we took over completly and put the camera on Manual.

The great thing about digital (as I am sure you and everyone knows) is that it costs nothing to make a mistake. Play around with all the settings and see what you come up with. It is fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter