Question.... kids on the ship while you're in port?

Thanks Sir Duf, I hadn't considered that being the reason why. Now I know, best not to quote someone who is stirring the pot.

When I was little, my mom had a bell and the rule was you had to be close enough to the house to hear the bell, and it was a decent sized bell so the sound carried a ways. When she rang it, it was time to come home. Until then, we'd be running all over the neighborhood.
I would turn someone in today for constantly ringing a large obnoxious bell all of the time. :)

MUN

I'm also a kid of the 70s. My older sister and I would run around the neighborhood by ourselves or with other neighborhood kids with no parents in sight all day long. I always say I had a "Leave it to Beaver" type of childhood. We live in a small mid-western town. There are tons of kids on our street, my 9 yr old dd knows them all because they all go to the same school. When I was a kid you'd go outside and see who was around to play with. Now parents have to arrange playdates with activities. I don't want to arrange your play time. I have enough going on already, just go outside already!

I would turn someone in today for constantly ringing a large obnoxious bell all of the time. :)

MUN

LOL! It wasn't all the time. Usually just at dinner time. Our own "dinner bell." And she didn't keep ringing it until we were home.

Reactions: MUN

I'm also a kid of the 70s. My older sister and I would run around the neighborhood by ourselves or with other neighborhood kids with no parents in sight all day long. I always say I had a "Leave it to Beaver" type of childhood. We live in a small mid-western town. There are tons of kids on our street, my 9 yr old dd knows them all because they all go to the same school. When I was a kids you'd go outside and see who was around to play with. Now parents have to arrange playdates with activites.
DH and I had a similar childhood to this. He was born in 1967, I was born in 1970. We kids were out of the house without parents until it was time to come home for dinner. You'd go around the neighborhood with friends--I remember walking through the woods and swamps with them, biking and roller skating down the street--and this was between the ages of 6 and 12. We kids would walk to school without adults, starting in 1st grade--a crossing guard only at the 'busy' street. All of these are things that you would NEVER let your kids do today. It is amazing how times change.

So, letting our older kids have a little freedom on the ship will help them grow and become confident in themselves. The same with letting them stay home alone for a short period of time once they're in middle school. I am a stay at home mom, with not much of a support system. DH and I are only children. DH's parents passed away when my oldest was 2, my Mom passed away when the youngest was 4...all we have left is my Dad. DH and I don't get much time alone, so it was so nice on the ship to go to Cadillac lounge and relax while the kids (ages 12 and 16) were in the clubs doing activities that they asked to do. It was also nice to leave them sleeping in the room 1 morning, with the do not disturb sign on the door. We brought them food, told the 1 that was stirring that we'd left them food and were leaving the room, and headed off the Cove Cafe to be alone in an adult space for a while and just talk. We all had cell phones with the navigator app, and it worked well for us. By the time DH and I came back, the kids were eating and happily watching Disney stuff on the TV. We spent 99% of our time with the kids, that 1% of time for DH and I to be together was a gift.

How is leaving kids in a secured program with highly trained cms for a few hours consider having parents who aren't taking care of them. Not sure why saying that got my previous post deleted.
Your post made total sense and it's a bummer that your primary message couldn't be left alone. But I don't think the mods can edit a post to remove only a portion, it's all or nothing. Like PP said, it was just deleted b/c of the quote it contained. If you look above, the post you quoted has been removed as well. There's no way you're in trouble for what you wrote yourself!

I've been bringing my kids to the kids clubs at Diseny since they turned 4. They beg to go and we will usually go to dinner or the food and wine festival at Epcot so they are there for a few hours.

They will be 8 when we go on our first Disney cruise next year. I wouldn't think twice about letting them stay in the club on the ship while my husband and I got off.

It's a short cruise so we probably won't (unless they really really want to), but I wouldn't be afraid to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!