Question for anyone who's done the luau

gidget1212

Earning My Ears
I would like to buy tickets to the luau and hoping not to have to get VIP tickets. I've seen a few people who have said that they had VIP and that they thought it was worth it to get in early and not have to wait in lines. Has anyone not had VIP and wish that they did? Or had VIP and thought it wasn't quite worth it? I wouldn't mind paying for VIP if it was just my husband and I, but would feel kind of ridiculous spending over a hundred dollars for my 3 year old. Seems like it's already expensive enough as it is, but we want to have a good experience. Are the lines crazy if you don't have VIP? Seats not as good?

I’m going on July 17th with VIP tickets, so am curious to see other people’s thoughts, as well.

We attendended last summer, VIP tickets. VIP gains you early admission which gives you some time to do all the activities without having to combat the crowds (great when you’re toting a toddler). The included alcoholic drinks, close seating and first dibs at the buffet were all great. We felt it was worth it and would do VIP again.

Fwiw, we could see the luau from our lanai, and it never looked super crowded, plus it seemed like they give you plenty of time to get your food. There are places built into the show where it stops so you can get food. It may seem different "on the ground," but from what we saw it looked very well managed. Plus at different points the performers come out onto like a runway or center aisle so everyone can see no matter where you're sitting (the lawn isn't that big, relatively).

Btw, fyi... 3 y.o. may be a bit young, but they do have a section early in the show where all the keiki are invited to come up and do the "Aulani hula," which they may have learned previously at one of the resorts' everyday activities. :)

We had VIP tickets and thought it was really worth it for us but I don't really see a huge downside if you decide not to, especially with a really young one. Getting in early allows you to do some of the activities with fewer people but I'm not sure a 3 YO would really be able to participate and you'll have your hands full with said 3YO so may not be able to participate as much yourself. It's not like the food runs out or gets cold if you have to wait until after the VIP group and, although the VIP tickets get you more upfront seating, there's not such a crowd of people that you won't be able to see it. If it was just the two of you I'd say definitely go for it but with a young child, you'll probably not see as much benefit.

FWIW I had a hard time staying awake for the show first time (I've done it twice, which was one too many IMHO). And that was when we had moved to Kailua, so had no time change. It is a long show.

I'm pretty sure we left before the end that time.

Second time, years ago, I went with my mom and my friend (left the kids with our other friends). We're on the East Coast now, and I knew my kids would not stay up for it. That time we did VIP. It was nice not to have to get up to get our food. Included alcohol was crap so I drank beer. Show is LONG. I cannot imagine a 3 year old doing anything but falling asleep during it (to me it got quite boring actually).

I'd look into a sitter maybe? Not that I ever did that on vacation, but for us it's a 6 hour time change in the summer, so my kids were asleep by 7. Well, at that age at home they were also asleep by 7 or 8 at the latest in the summer.

Side note: my oldest was born on Oahu, and we've been taking them back at least every other year since they were 5 and 7. At the younger ages, they would not make it too late at all.

I’m going on July 17th with VIP tickets, so am curious to see other people’s thoughts, as well.
I probably don't have the answer you are looking for, but we did VIP and thought it was worth every penny. We got in to do all the activities before it got busy with regular tickets, and our seats were in the front row. (obviously not all VIP seats were in the front row, but they were all excellent) VIP goes through the food line first, with regular guests right behind. That is what you are paying for. If you are non VIP, you can still do everything. But you will wait in line more. You would be waiting in line quite awhile to be first in the regular line. It was already building when we entered at the front of the VIP line. You will see the luau, but it will not be as good.

I agree that I would look into a sitter for the 3 year old. We enjoyed the show, as did DS 13 and 10. But two other tweens at our table fell asleep. The pacing is a little slow. There is no way I would spend VIP (or probably even regular money) on a 3 year old.

We just got back a few weeks ago and had VIP seating. I actually had the same question as the luau is already expensive but VIP makes it even more so. That said, I think the seating location is worth paying for VIP - you’re guaranteed to be closer to the stage and some of the seats are none to close and off to the side. We had a grand total of one alcoholic drink and didn’t like the food at all but would definitely pay for VIP if we were to go again to ensure we had a good view of the show, which was excellent.

We had a grand total of one alcoholic drink and didn’t like the food at all but would definitely pay for VIP if we were to go again to ensure we had a good view of the show, which was excellent.

I think the amount of alcoholic drinks you plan to enjoy should be a significant factor in your decision. We found the bartenders to be quick and efficient, and the drinks were good quality and not watered-down like the weak punch they distributed to the VIP ticket holders upon arriving. if you're not planning to drink, the VIP package is much less valuable IMO.

My daughter is 3 and the VIP seats were worth it for her because she really enjoyed doing the crafts with no lines and it was great to get to the buffet early. So it worked well for our impatient toddler. But if you don't drink, that reduces the value of VIP a lot, it's true.

Last edited:
For whatever it’s worth, I think my husband and I each had only one cocktail (not sure if he had one so might have been just me). Still thought it was worth it for us. But my kids are older.

We felt it was worth it and would do VIP again.
You get in early, get more free (weak) booze, better seating for the show. If those things are worth it for your family, go ahead. But if not, you'll still have a good time with the regular admission.

You get in early, get more free (weak) booze, better seating for the show. If those things are worth it for your family, go ahead. But if not, you'll still have a good time with the regular admission.

We didn't experience 'weak' drinks at all, except for the very weak punch they gave everyone as you walked in. Maybe it was because I chose to walk up to the bartenders to get our drinks rather than wait for the spread-too-thin table servers to get to us, but when I ordered mixed drinks from the bar I found that the bartenders poured the alcohol very fairly.

We're not drinkers. We did the non-VIP Luau. yeah, you waited in a crowd. But, it was pleasant outside. We also had plenty of time to get photos and see all of the crafts being made before the show started. We were about 4 tables from the stage and had great seats. So, if you don't need the drinks, I'd say skip it and just do the basic.

The show is really great BTW. Reminded me of what my Mom said about seeing Don Ho back in the 70's :rockband:
Definitely worth doing!

We didn't experience 'weak' drinks at all, except for the very weak punch they gave everyone as you walked in. Maybe it was because I chose to walk up to the bartenders to get our drinks rather than wait for the spread-too-thin table servers to get to us, but when I ordered mixed drinks from the bar I found that the bartenders poured the alcohol very fairly.

I agree with Pete W. The punch was weak but for every drink thereafter acquired from the bar was pretty strong!

The VIP is good for early access to the activities (lei making, poi making, tribal tattoos, lots of photographers) and the alcoholic beverages (which were great). If you aren't interested in these things you will be fine with not VIP. It isn't a huge crowd so you should be able to see and everyone should be able to get in line to eat pretty fast (and there is plenty of food). For us, it was totally worth it because my group likes to drink and take lots of pictures and we had kids who loved having time to do the activities (with very minimal crowds).

How many drinks (or tickets?) come with general admission and how many with VIP?

Everyone (GA/VIP) gets one punch drink when you arrive. After that, for VIP it is open bar throughout the event. No servers - you just go up to the bar. Maybe we had a good bartender that night, but the bar drinks were not weak at all. The punch was, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter