Question about the intensity of rides at Hong Kong & Shanghai Disneylands

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
So, I'm leaving for the China ABD in 5 days, which includes both Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneylands. And, of course, as is my luck, my sciatica has flared up in the last few days. :( I'm still deciding if I can handle the 16 hour flights both ways or not, but assuming that I do make it, which rides am I doomed to not ride? I'd like to manage my expectations ahead of time. ie, which rides are likely to really aggravate my lower back? Is Tron going to be doable?

To compare, I would definitely not be doing the Matterhorn if I was in Southern California. Space mountain would be out there and at WDW. No Big Thunder Mountain.

Thanks,
Sayhello

If you can't do Space Mountain or Big Thunder, I would probably caution against both Tron and Seven Dwarves at Shanghai, and Space Mountain and Grizzly Gulch at HK. Tron is particularly rough on your lower back with motorcycle style ride vehicles, but there is one regular sitting style ride vehicle available if you want to give it a go - it is a very smooth ride.

There should be no reason you can't experience the awesome jaw-dropping-ness of Pirates in Shanghai though :thumbsup2

Congrats on having a China trip so close.
I'm sorry your sciatica flared up. That's not fun and I hope that it gets better quickly.

I agree with Zanzibar. You should be able to do most rides at Shanghai except for 7DMT. You probably need to check out Tron to see if the sitting style ride vehicle is something that you would be comfortable to sit through. You'll also need to work out if the turns in the ride will put any further pressure on your sciatica.
I don't know if Roaring Rapids would also be out of the equation as well.

In Shanghai, aside from Space Mountain and Grizzly Gulch, you might also want to reconsider the Iron Man attraction. It's effectively Star Tours revamped. Your sciatica might be okay on the simulator ride.

Hope you feel better soon.

Roaring Rapids is very ... "rough". It's the roughest style of those raft rides that I've ever been on. I loved it, but it's definitely not a calm and pleasant cruise and I can easily see someone being injured by a flying elbow one day.

Thank you all so much for your answers! I really appreciate it!

Sayhello

There is a "test" module / pod for Tron out the front, but I don't recall it having the actual "back piece" which holds your back in place. And on our second day in the park, they bizarrely blocked it off and were trying to funnel everyone entering and leaving Tron through a single, narrow entrance / route (using temporary fencing to block off a significant portion of the otherwise wide walkway).

What Shanghai has going for it is how new the rides are. This means that all the rides are incredibly smooth, none of that rattling sensation. I took the Matterhorn at DL once in 2012 and came off feeling like I'd been shaken all over, same goes for Space Mountain at WDW. None of that sensation at Shanghai. So I'd gladly take Tron multiple times in a row, whereas I'd take Space Mountain once in a WDW trip and decide that's enough for me.

There is a "test" module / pod for Tron out the front, but I don't recall it having the actual "back piece" which holds your back in place. And on our second day in the park, they bizarrely blocked it off and were trying to funnel everyone entering and leaving Tron through a single, narrow entrance / route (using temporary fencing to block off a significant portion of the otherwise wide walkway).

Was in SHDL last week and the test seats for Tron out front did have the back piece. They were funneling people through the locker area though, you couldn't get to the Tron entrance unless you went through the locker area first, which made for quite a bottleneck getting in...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter