Question about pre-purchased character dining vouchers

Meldev

DIS Veteran
I am likely going to purchase dining vouchers for Minnie's.

Here's my question. We are a family of 6; however, DH may have to briefly meet with an industry colleague in Disneyland. He did this last year and I told him to go when we had a dining reservation if possible. That way we only pay for 5 of us, and he could grab something easily on the go thereafter (And I'm not then dealing with odd riding numbers, etc...)
So, if I go ahead and purchase 6 dining vouchers, and he ends up going to the meeting during that reservation, can he use that voucher anywhere else? Or is it only for character meals? I thought I read somewhere it just applies to whichever bill...

TIA!

Honestly, you don't save enough on vouchers to take any sort of a chance.

It's not so much the savings as it is having it paid for ahead of time and not having to think about it.

Could you just set aside the cash? Then it's 'paid for' and you aren't risking losing out on a voucher.

Yes I can do that. I could give him a separate gift card easily.

I actually try to budget all of our sit down meals and put them on a card. Paying for a meal tomorrow (by way of the vouchers) just seems like another way of making things easier. And if I knew for sure he could use the voucher elsewhere it'd be great. If it isn't that simple, then I'll just add the meal to my dining gift card estimate.

If you want to purchase vouchers to keep on budget, but you are not sure about your DH, what about just purchasing 5 vouchers for the rest of you that will for sure go and then pay OOP if your DH can make the ressie?

To answer your questions, yes you can use the voucher anywhere else. You'll just get the value that you paid for the voucher.

However, at only a few of the character meals will using the vouchers save you money. Some you lose money because it'd be cheaper to pay out of pocket. Which one were you thinking about doing?

You won't get change when you use a voucher for face value elsewhere. Make sure it's on a large transaction. If the vouchers actually save money, I'd do as PP suggested and just buy 5.

Whenever we have done Minnie's it works out to be a couple of dollars cheaper per person to pay out of pocket. We have used the vouchers in the past, when it saves money, but otherwise I just budget Minnie's onto a GC with what we have budgeted for meals. I usually budget each day's meals onto a GC and then bring just the one to the parks along with a small amount of cash and leave everything else back at the hotel. Usually, we have a surplus at the end that buys an extra treat or gets added to the kids souvenir budget.

To answer your questions, yes you can use the voucher anywhere else. You'll just get the value that you paid for the voucher.

However, at only a few of the character meals will using the vouchers save you money. Some you lose money because it'd be cheaper to pay out of pocket. Which one were you thinking about doing?
Minnie's at the Plaza Inn

Whenever we have done Minnie's it works out to be a couple of dollars cheaper per person to pay out of pocket. We have used the vouchers in the past, when it saves money, but otherwise I just budget Minnie's onto a GC with what we have budgeted for meals. I usually budget each day's meals onto a GC and then bring just the one to the parks along with a small amount of cash and leave everything else back at the hotel. Usually, we have a surplus at the end that buys an extra treat or gets added to the kids souvenir budget.
Interesting, I didn't realize Minnie's would cost less than the vouchers!

The vouchers include tip so you do come out ahead using them
Yes, I'm running lots of numbers here and it seems to me, since the vouchers include both tax and gratuity it doesn't matter where we eat I come out ahead by purchasing them.

Yes, I'm running lots of numbers here and it seems to me, since the vouchers include both tax and gratuity it doesn't matter where we eat I come out ahead by purchasing them.
Until you factor in the convenience charge - then it's $2 more for vouchers at Minnies...I got it now...

For a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, Goofy's Kitchen would cost $97 out of pocket. After factoring in tax and tip, that would be approximately $123. Vouchers would cost you $152. You'd also lose money at Surf's Up-- $141 after tax & tip, vs. $152 for vouchers.

I do need to amend my claim that you'd lose money at Plaza Inn, though-- it looks like you would save a few dollars there by using vouchers.

For a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, Goofy's Kitchen would cost $97 out of pocket. After factoring in tax and tip, that would be approximately $123. Vouchers would cost you $152. You'd also lose money at Surf's Up-- $141 after tax & tip, vs. $152 for vouchers.

I do need to amend my claim that you'd lose money at Plaza Inn, though-- it looks like you would save a few dollars there by using vouchers.
I'm getting a lower voucher price - $38/adult and 22/child then $12 processing fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!