Question about paying for seat assignments on Allegiant ?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for non stop flights for my son. Allegiant has some cheap non stop flights. I have never flown with Allegiant and know nothing about them. I was reading and came across they charge to pick your seats when booking? It says the fee is $0 to $80.00. What exactly is the fee to pick your seats?
If it is 80.00 a person that is a pretty steep price!
There will be 2 adults and a 7 year old and they would like to sit together.
Do they need to purchase their seat assignments?

Go through the booking process all the way until the last step – before you have to pay – to see exactly how much it is.

If it's important that they sit together, you should pay that fee. Do not count on anyone switching seats because you chose not to pay.

If they want to sit together, they have to pay. They'll get nickel and dimed for everything else, too. It'll likely end up costing about as much as a flight on a major carrier

Just so you know, they have the worst safety record in the industry. You might want to look into that before you make a decision.

Allegiant flies into Sanford, not Orlando International Airport. If you are pricing things out, don't forget the cost to get from Sanford to the hotel.

It says the fee is $0 to $80.00. What exactly is the fee to pick your seats?
If it is 80.00 a person that is a pretty steep price!
There are different prices for different seats. The exit row, for example, will be more expensive since it has more leg room. Rows toward the back of the plane will be cheaper. Whenever we book flights we consider the total price of the flight + seats + bags and compare that to the other airlines....sometimes the discount carriers (Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc) are cheaper...sometimes not.

You may want to look up the 60 minutes piece on Allegiant. I won't fly them, nor will I let a family member fly them.
I decided to forget allegiant. I did find a non stop with Spirit. I know it has had bad reviews too but surely it's better than Allegiant?

IMHO you have to be careful when booking - like a pp said go through the entire process and see what all the fees are, once you pay for a seat, a checked bag, a boarding pass (in some cases) and even a carryon (in some cases) your better off booking an airline that bundles that all into the fare.

You also have to be aware of what happens if/when a flight is canceled or delayed, how many flights does this airline offer per day - could you reschedule etc.

I decided to forget allegiant. I did find a non stop with Spirit. I know it has had bad reviews too but surely it's better than Allegiant?

Agreed. The service is terrible but at least they have new airplanes and a far better safety record than Allegiant

I have flown Spirit many, many times and never had any issues. Perhaps I was lucky, but for the significant price difference between Spirit and other airlines, I'll continue to take my chances.

IMHO you have to be careful when booking - like a pp said go through the entire process and see what all the fees are, once you pay for a seat, a checked bag, a boarding pass (in some cases) and even a carryon (in some cases) your better off booking an airline that bundles that all into the fare.

You also have to be aware of what happens if/when a flight is canceled or delayed, how many flights does this airline offer per day - could you reschedule etc.
They want a non stop flight and the only two that have that are Allegiant and Spirit. Spirit only has one flight on each of the days they will be flying yikes!

I have flown Spirit many, many times and never had any issues. Perhaps I was lucky, but for the significant price difference between Spirit and other airlines, I'll continue to take my chances.
Oh good thanks for posting. They want to take a chance on Spirit cause it is non stop and is the best price and times.

I'd honestly let your son deal with this. If it were me, I'd abdicate the responsibility to the people actually flying – especially if the airlines are less than ideal.

If they truly want a non-stop flight, they'll have to deal with the risks of flying Allegiant or Spirit.

I'd honestly let your son deal with this. If they truly want a non-stop flight, they'll have to deal with the risks of flying Allegiant or Spirit.
I fly every year never on Spirit or Allgeiant though. He has not flown in 20 years or so lol. So he wanted we to help find something.

If they fly to MCO over Sanford that alone would make it better. My MIL uses Spirit all the time and has never had an issue.

They want a non stop flight and the only two that have that are Allegiant and Spirit. Spirit only has one flight on each of the days they will be flying yikes!

I see - personally I would not fly an airline that has only one flight per day, I fly often and 1 out of about every 5/6 times I fly there is an issue. Most recently we were onboard an aircraft and then there was an issue with the flight crew, since it was a legacy airline I just went to the nearest kiosk, changed my flight and arrived in time for my plans.

I would take a layover vs frontier or spirit but that's just my opinion - lots of people never have an issue! For me I don't want to waste a day waiting on a new flight in either direction and for me one flight a day isn't an option.

Lots of people never have an issue with these airlines either so I agree with the pp to let your son make the decision. Nothing like giving advice and then having something go wrong.... It happened to me once when I booked a flight for my mil and fil - you would have thought I was the cause of the delay :)

My dd does like frontier - she flies alone so she doesn't care where she sits, has a flexible schedule and can get by with carryon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter