Question about Club 33 (and other Disneyland "secrets")

stephdwyer_77

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are big Disney fans (something I think we get from both of our mom's) and since a trip he and I made last Christmas my mom has been subtly hinting that she would like to make a trip too. You see, my parents divorced when I was young and since then it has been just my mom, brother and I. When I returned from my first Disneyland Christmas experience in 2002 with a friend my mom and I started dicussing the fact that we have never taken a trip together just the three of us. We also realized that neither her or my brother had been to Disneyland in 15 years. So for Christmas 2003 my mom went all out and splurged on a 5 day vacation for us to Disneyland complete with accomodations at the Grand Californian. We had hoped it would be the start to a yearly family tradition but unfortunately we have not had the $ to keep it up since. So this year my boyfriend and I are going to try, as a Christmas gift, to suprise both of our families with a trip to Disneyland for all 8 of us together in 2007. I'd like to try and line up a few other suprises while we are there that I know they would enjoy, such as the secret of watching the Fantasmic show from the gallery balcony. Of course the opportunity to dine at Club 33 would be the icing on the cake and would definitely make for an unforgettable trip, I have heard a few people mention that at times members will auction an evening at the Club for charity? I have been checking E-Bay and will continue to do so, but I am wondering if anyone has information on other organizations that participate as well that I could possibly look into? On a side note, does anyone have any other recommendations of fun/original things to do while in Disneyland?

Any information you might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Club 33 members are no longer allowed to do on line auctions, they are limited to live auctions. Best thing to do is just mention it to everyone, some times its surprise who might have an in.

That's too bad about Club 33, not only is it a great way to raise money but also one of the few opportunities to experience such a historic part of Disneyland. Thank you for the info!

Personally, I don't see it as "too bad". If waited 10+ years and paid thousands for membership I would Disney to protect my investment by limiting how many other people can be there. And, I see ebay and other online auctions as a way for people to make money for themselves rather then for a charity. Limiting it to live auctions keeps things a little more honest.

I think Club33 has gone away from Walt's orginal idea of a meeting place, a place to do business and relax. It appears that it is now designed to keep the commoner out, kinda like many golf clubs and private "men only" clubs in the US. I find it noble members donate or just give away inivitations to people who really appreciate being in the club and being part of Walt and Roy Disney lives.
Investment is defined in part as: a thing worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.
I find it difficult to understand the different from profit from selling invitations or investing in the club. To me it all breaks down to the size of house you live in, the car you drive and the private schools that your kids go to. Prestige, power and control is the name of the game in the world today..to bad we can not go back to 1955 where life was more simple.
This is not meant to be advisarial, just an opinion.

Have a great day,

Jack pirate:

blackjackdelta said:
I think Club33 has gone away from Walt's orginal idea of a meeting place, a place to do business and relax. It appears that it is now designed to keep the commoner out, kinda like many golf clubs and private "men only" clubs in the US. I find it noble members donate or just give away inivitations to people who really appreciate being in the club and being part of Walt and Roy Disney lives.
Investment is defined in part as: a thing worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.
I find it difficult to understand the different from profit from selling invitations or investing in the club. To me it all breaks down to the size of house you live in, the car you drive and the private schools that your kids go to. Prestige, power and control is the name of the game in the world today..to bad we can not go back to 1955 where life was more simple.
This is not meant to be advisarial, just an opinion.

Have a great day,

Jack pirate:

I'm a commoner & they've haven't kept me out :rotfl2: !

The company my Ex-husband works for has a membership and I've eaten there a couple of times but since he's now my ex I have to be super nice to him if I want to get in :rotfl2: The food was great along with the mixed drinks and the atmosphere is O.K.

But I have to agree that the membership is pricy and I can't afford a membership of my own (at least not at this point of my life).

It is a great experience and good luck trying to find a way in. But you'll have a great time even if you don't.

:sunny:
Katie

I have stopped trying to find a way in. I just wanted to express an opinion that some people have a hard time saying. Being an old dude I had numerous oportunities in the late 50's and early sixties to be in that area. My uncle was a wildlife photographer and independent movie producer and shot many miles of film for Walt. Being a young lad back then, I was invited on a few occasions to go with him when he had business meetings with Walt and even had a lunch with Haley Mills.
I quess my point was that DLR should sell invitations to those who meet what ever requirement so people may actually see the interior again and try to bring back those memories. The place had a very unique smell.
In my line of business I do not have the opportunity to have any social life which includes hobnobbing with the Daddy and Mommy Warbucks of this world. The most important possessions I have are my family, the rest does not amount to a hill of bean's, I am definately not afraid to speak my peace.
Time to go back to work, you all have a great day.

Jack pirate:

blackjackdelta said:
I quess my point was that DLR should sell invitations to those who meet what ever requirement so people may actually see the interior again and try to bring back those memories.
Jack pirate:

You can still see the interior of the Lobby during the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Unless they've changed something in the last year. You don't get to go upstairs, but they do let you see the downstairs waiting area were the cage elevator is.

I got a very nice CM to let me into the lobby area last August when we were there, but could not go any further...she said she would loose her job.
The area has changed, but who or what has not. Thanks for all the info.

Jack pirate:

stephdwyer_77 said:
Hello,
My boyfriend and I are big Disney fans (something I think we get from both of our mom's) and since a trip he and I made last Christmas my mom has been subtly hinting that she would like to make a trip too. You see, my parents divorced when I was young and since then it has been just my mom, brother and I. When I returned from my first Disneyland Christmas experience in 2002 with a friend my mom and I started dicussing the fact that we have never taken a trip together just the three of us. We also realized that neither her or my brother had been to Disneyland in 15 years. So for Christmas 2003 my mom went all out and splurged on a 5 day vacation for us to Disneyland complete with accomodations at the Grand Californian. We had hoped it would be the start to a yearly family tradition but unfortunately we have not had the $ to keep it up since. So this year my boyfriend and I are going to try, as a Christmas gift, to suprise both of our families with a trip to Disneyland for all 8 of us together in 2007. I'd like to try and line up a few other suprises while we are there that I know they would enjoy, such as the secret of watching the Fantasmic show from the gallery balcony..., does anyone have any other recommendations of fun/original things to do while in Disneyland? Any information you might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Just wanted to say what a WONDERFUL thing to do!!

As MamaKate said, many corporations have membership, so check and see if anyone in your party works for someone who does. Of course in asking, I guess it wouldn't be kept a secret...

I've seen a listing of the menu, and was stunned at the prices! It would definitely be a special occasion to go though. Good luck! If that doesn't work out, and if you have adults (and perhaps older children) in your party, it might be fun to dine at one of the nicer Disney restaurants, like Napa Rose or Granville's. Or Blue Bayou! I wanted to go just for dessert once I saw the place while on the Pirates ride, but didn't think to make a PS until it was too late - They were booked solid for the remainder of our stay! If you have youngsters in the group, go for a character meal! We did Goofy's Kitchen and Lilo and Stitch, and the kids (and DH and I!) had a blast.

And if you think your family would be into it, make matching t-shirts for everyone to wear at the park! It's very noticeable when a large group comes through in matching shirts, plus wearing similar (especially bright colored) shirts makes it easy to find everyone. And there are some cool Disney designs on this site in the General section (I think the specific grouping is called 'Creative Corner' or something like that.) We saw a huge group in lime green shirts that said something like 'Grandma's Goofy Gathering', another group in blue and each family member had the name of one of the 7 dwarfs on the back, cute! Also several families (including us) wearing matching Disney antenna-topper shirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter