Question about ADR/Theory

Mich Mouse

Poly Loving Disney Bride
Is there any validity to the theory that ADR's are released in tiers? For example if Chef Mickey's is completely booked at four months out, and you try at 3 months out, more tables will be released into the system?

Last year when we were planning our trip, and the online ADR system was new, there was discussion about this theory.

I have not been on the DIS much since planning our trip last summer so I am wondering what I might have missed on the topic! I see that ressies are now once again 6 months out. (which is why I am posting about Chef Mickeys! ) I thought I was ahead of the game at four months out in my beginning planning stages.

Any thing else I may have missed that you may fill me in on?

Disney really has no benefit in holding back blocks of reservation - they simply want to fill the tables with reservations as soon as possible. I dont think they'd hold back spots just to keep people who make late reservations happy.

I think when you find that you are able to get into a popular place after the 180 days, it is usually a case of someone cancelling a prior ADR that opened up a space for you.

Not sure about the theory, but there are still plenty of people who overbook way to many ADRs, hold them until closer to time, and then cancel the ones they don't want. We have been able to get last minute ADRs or move things to a different time than what we originally booked when we called closer to our visit.

I also don't believe that they release availability in tiers. There is no benefit for Disney in doing this.

For our upcoming May trip it seems like a lot of reservations were cancelled about 3-4 weeks out. I was able to snag two hard to get ADRs about 3 1/2 weeks out from the trip that I couldn't get previously. This seems to line up with the cancellations as they appear in the Cancellations thread as well.

I've not officially heard about ADRs being released closer to the actual date, but I have heard from fairly reliable sources that all reservations are not in the computer on the 180 +10 date.

Disney releases a small percentage of tables at the 180 +10 date, and hold back the rest for 180 days out. I've experienced it myself (and read other posters here who had the same thing happen) where I couldn't get a reservation in my +10 window, but had no issue with the same reservation exactly 180 days before I wanted to dine at that restaurant.

I've sometimes wondered if they hold back some for customer service issues and/or "preferred'" travel agents. I have no idea if this is actually so or not, though.

I've sometimes wondered if they hold back some for customer service issues and/or "preferred'" travel agents. I have no idea if this is actually so or not, though.

I absolutely know for a fact that there are always ADRs in the system for certain level CMs, but as far as I know they are never released for the general public.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter