Putting Pet to sleep :(

:hug: Sending thoughts of caring and love your way. I put my 15 year old dachshund down in 2004 after a lenghty illness. She let me know it was time the night before so I made her comfortable and then DH took us as early as possible the following morning. It was quick and painless for her. I stayed home that day and DH gathered her things to put away. We had her cremated. Our family always buried our pets, but with Herra it seemed easier to let go knowing she would still be with me in some way. She came back to us in a precious tin shaped like a dog-bone with puppies decorating it. They had placed her in a white bag protected with tissue paper and sent several cards home with her. Our vet made a small donation in her memory to Auburn University's Verterinary School.

It was very comforting to know she would still be with us. A year later I had the opportunity to rescue a Jack Russell puppy--Trinity. DH had said he wanted one (a JRT) and she just popped into our life when we needed her. She is a precious addition to our family. When/if the time comes to make the decision for her, we will know it--she has been trully loved by us and knows it. She loves us too and we know it.

:hug: to the OP, but also to all who have posted of having to allow peace to come to a furry family member. I too had our dog put to sleep. She was in my arms, and DH was beside me. The kids remained at home. DH & I thought we would be "okay". We knew it was the right thing to do. Jewel had been sick for a long time. throat cancer. The vet said it took the least amount of medication she had ever used. I'm not sure if knowing we had waited until the end made me feel better or worse. But, even through the heart break of her final nap in my arms, I knew it was the compassionate thing to do for her.

And, I'm sorry your DH can't be with you during this difficult time. I thank you all for his service in protecting me & my family. God Bless you all.

A couple of years ago we had to put our cat to sleep. She seemed to go downhill so fast but looking back we could see signs of decline. The vet and her staff were amazingly compassionate. They asked if we wanted to be in the room when it happened. My partner couldn't but for me I had to be there. They gave us some time to say our final goodbyes to dove and my partner left. They had dove on the table so i knelt down in front of her and put my hand near her nose so she could smell me. It was very peaceful and I know I was the last thing she saw before she passed.

A couple of years ago we had to put our cat to sleep. She seemed to go downhill so fast but looking back we could see signs of decline. The vet and her staff were amazingly compassionate. They asked if we wanted to be in the room when it happened. My partner couldn't but for me I had to be there. They gave us some time to say our final goodbyes to dove and my partner left. They had dove on the table so i knelt down in front of her and put my hand near her nose so she could smell me. It was very peaceful and I know I was the last thing she saw before she passed.

:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter