Professional printing? UPDATE 3/23

jackskellingtonsgirl

DIS Veteran
The T-shirt shop in the mall said they can print my shirts for me if I just provide them the link to the design I want. Has anybody done that instead of going the "do it yourself" route? I can see dozens of ruined shirts in my future if I try to do them myself. (Think of that man in the credit card commercial who sets the broom on fire and knocks everything off the counter. That would be me, only with an iron.)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone? :confused3

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
The T-shirt shop in the mall said they can print my shirts for me if I just provide them the link to the design I want. Has anybody done that instead of going the "do it yourself" route? I can see dozens of ruined shirts in my future if I try to do them myself. (Think of that man in the credit card commercial who sets the broom on fire and knocks everything off the counter. That would be me, only with an iron.)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone? :confused3

I was wondering a similar thing. I've seen some online printing shops that do t-shirts. After all the time creating a design, I would really prefer them to last longer than a wash or two. One site prints using a "sublimation printing technique for crystal clear detail and a bold, durable photo".

If the design would hold up through multiple washings, perhaps it is worth the extra $ to have a professional do the printing.

I think it definitely might be worth the money, as it's certainly a different quality than iron-on transfers, IMO. Just as a side note though -- he dark paper that I had has lasted countless washes now and looks good as new :thumbsup2 Wish I could say the same for the light paper ones... :sad2:

All that being said, just make sure the place you are trying to use allows copyrighted images. I might look into this myself for the next round of shirts, but I know some (for example, cafepress) won't do it with Disney images.

Good luck!

Let us know how you decide and maybe a picture of the result. Unfortunatly for me, there are no t-shirt shops around here that I could use that I've been able to find. Ideas??? would be appreciated!

stenogoddess said:
Let us know how you decide and maybe a picture of the result. Unfortunatly for me, there are no t-shirt shops around here that I could use that I've been able to find. Ideas??? would be appreciated!

We don't have any malls or t-shirt shops anywhere near us either, but there are several places online that will do it. I can't post links yet, but I'm sure you can find them if you do a google search.

Besides t-shirts, you can have the images made into mouse pads, posters, coffee mugs, etc.

I think I'll have some of the character name designs made into coffee mugs for family members.

I haven't tried it yet with Disney images, so I don't know if they will print them or not. But, it's worth a shot.

I get my photos printed at Yorkphoto.com and they do this printing of shirts, bags, coffee mugs (had 2 of those done for my brother in law for xmas of shots of his kids) Not sure what they alow but that is one online palce to try.

We just bought a digital camera, so theoretically I could post some pics. :) The problem is our computer is VERY old and moody so I don't know if it would be up for the challenge!

Our trip isn't until August so I won't have finished shirts until closer to time for us to leave.

I thought about running into problems with the copyrights. Right now I am just thinking of doing text (Disney font) on the back and then some sort of image on the front that doesn't have a copyright. Maybe some of the "2006" mouse ear logos or something. The shirts have to be light - white or heather gray - since we'll be there in the brutal heat. I can see having problems with the shirts scorching and whatever, so I thought it would be better to have the T-shirt shop deal with it. An added bonus is that I will know after the first shirt if I like the results. If I don't care for the way it turns out I can just pay for that one and be on my way. If I ordered them from somewhere I would want to order for all 5 of us at once, and if I didn't like them I would be stuck.

Kate did a terrific design for me but I am thinking we might go with something else. The dates of our trip have changed and that design isn't as relevant as it would have been. I guess if the first set of shirts are fabulous I could always have a second set done with the original design! ;)

I had one shirt done at the mall today! :thumbsup2
It looks FABULOUS! It is a 100% cotton white T-shirt. The front has the diamond shaped logo with the icons from each park, the back has royal blue Disney script. It was $30 for the shirt, the printing, tax, etc. (Cheaper than setting my kitchen on fire, I assure you!)

The guy at the shop said to wash it first in COLD water with a cup of white vinegar (no detergent). After that it can be washed in cool water with mild detergent and put in the dryer on low. After I wash it and dry it I will decide if I am going to go back and buy shirts for the other 4 people in our group. The shop doesn't stock 100% cotton shirts in Youth sizes so they will have to order one for DS. Strangely it is less expensive to let them order it than to bring in my own shirt. :rolleyes:

I have already decided if this works it is well worth the price. My design is saved in their computer so it will be very quick & easy to have 4 more shirts made.

I used Zazzle to print some of mine last year (from a design that we'd had done for us with us as characters/caracatures) and they came out great and have withstood numerous washings.

You can also upload pictures/designs that you have on here and put them on their shirts as well.....just in case you don't have a shop nearby. I think last year when I did it it was around 15-20 per shirt?

We took our shirts and transfers to a local t-shirt shop and they used their heat press to apply the transfer to the shirts for a dollar each. It was so worth it. We could not get our iron hot enough and it was so much quicker too. We would have ordered our shirts from them but they couldn't get two of the sizes we needed in the color we wanted. They would not make the trasnfers though due to the Disney images. That was OK as my mil has an excellent printer and they came out great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter