Pregnant Prime Minister

New Zealander contributing here. Jacinda did not know she was pregnant during the election, but found out during talks with a coalition party when a government was being formed after the election. She has said they were told that falling pregnant naturally probably wouldn’t be an option for her and her husband, so it was a total surprise for them.

As a kiwi who didn’t vote for her, I’m still very happy for her and her husband, and don’t have any concerns about the running of the country while she’s on maternity leave. There are certainly some ‘backward’ and negative comments coming from some people, but I would say the majority of NZers are just happy for her and ready to move on to the next piece of news for the day!

Edit: When you find out your leader has a medical condition (temporary in this case), it’s not crazy to wonder how it will be handled. Hopefully, she will have an uneventful pregnancy and it will be a non-issue.

Personally I don’t think being a Prime Minister or President is a normal job and has different expectations as a result.

OP did not seem to be questioning how it is going to be handled. OP out-and-out stated that female Prime Ministers and Presidents should have different expectations then men in these roles. Goodness, when are we finally going to be able to prove once and for all that women can be pregnant and mothers while still performing duties that are important? Seems like we have been proving this point for untold generations....

Actually she only had 2 of her 4 children while “ruling” and given there was a government in place it was a figurehead role.

And part of her role as queen was to produce heirs.

The prime minister of NZ is also not married, creating some other conversations.

New Zealander contributing here. Jacinda did not know she was pregnant during the election, but found out during talks with a coalition party when a government was being formed after the election. She has said they were told that falling pregnant naturally probably wouldn’t be an option for her and her husband, so it was a total surprise for them.

As a kiwi who didn’t vote for her, I’m still very happy for her and her husband, and don’t have any concerns about the running of the country while she’s on maternity leave. There are certainly some ‘backward’ and negative comments coming from some people, but I would say the majority of NZers are just happy for her and ready to move on to the next piece of news for the day!
I'm confused you say she and her husband I thought she wasn't married

OP did not seem to be questioning how it is going to be handled. OP out-and-out stated that female Prime Ministers and Presidents should have different expectations then men in these roles. Goodness, when are we finally going to be able to prove once and for all that women can be pregnant and mothers while still performing duties that are important? Seems like we have been proving this point for untold generations....

I was responding to FlightlessDuck. I was not even thinking about the OP when I wrote my response. I don’t have an issue with the PM trying to get pregnant or getting pregnant. It sounds like they struggled with infertility, so good for them. I’m just not going to pretend that it has no possibility of a bigger issue than 6 weeks maternity leave, which on this thread seems tantamount to saying she should resign. Hopefully, it’s an uneventful pregnancy and newborn stage. I had Hypermesis Gradvium, had to be induced (way past due date and huge baby), and then we had colic and protein allergies, so I probably tend to think more about the what if’s than someone who had a normal pregnancy and a healthy newborn.

I had Hypermesis Gradvium, had to be induced (way past due date and huge baby), and then we had colic and protein allergies, so I probably tend to think more about the what if’s than someone who had a normal pregnancy and a healthy newborn.

It probably is natural to worry if you've been through all that, but I think "uneventful" is far more common.

Goodness, when are we finally going to be able to prove once and for all that women can be pregnant and mothers while still performing duties that are important? Seems like we have been proving this point for untold generations....

I think it's partly a matter of convincing people not to "think like themselves". - I said above, for instance, that I couldn't do what she's doing...The thing is, that doesn't make me believe that someone else can't. (But it did take me some time to realize that.)

I think the part some people forget is that anyone rising to this level of power likely has a lot more resources available to them as a new mother than many of us did. Nannies, nurses, housekeepers and cooks can all go a very long way to helping one get through those early days with less lost sleep and sanity intact. I'm sure some of them even have the option of bringing the baby to work. I know the CEO of Yahoo had a nursery built next to her office. None of that is remotely close to the experience I had as a full time working mom.

Last edited:
She has admitted that it will definitely take a village to raise this child, so I don’t think she’s under any false impressions about how much juggling will be involved. Her partner will be a stay-at-home dad, and if she does need more time off for health reasons, there are definite systems in place to keep the country running smoothly, same as if any leader had a medical condition.

Most people do not tell the public at large about a pregnancy so early because of the possibility of miscarriage. Perhaps she did know, but that really doesn't change anything? She can go ahead and have the child. What if someone in office was diagnosed with cancer and needed chemo and radiation which can go on for months? Just because this is a known medical leave, does not make it a bad medical leave.

You are really worried about a pregnant woman and mom being a leader of government? I really don't know what to say about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter