Power bill YIKES!

LilyWDW

Going to My Happy Place
Anyone else open their power bills and freak out a bit? I thought I was going to be ill. Last months bill was "normal" at $86 though I always budget for $120. This month? $226! We have been below freezing most of the month and have had multiple days/nights in the negatives. Plus I have had issues with the hot water pipes wanting to freeze at those temps due to how my place is set up.

Remind me to set up budget billing when they open it back up!

Yeah... we live in Maine and it was really really really cold in December. I ordered oil and had to order again 2 weeks later- and the price went up 15 cents a gallon in TWO weeks. Crazy cold this winter, so far.

Thankfully we have a gas fireplace. We still used heat strips some, but our power bill was $109 which I can live with.

We got a notice that our next bill was on track to be $580. Blah. I'll guess we'll see when it gets here.

Thankfully we have a gas fireplace. We still used heat strips some, but our power bill was $109 which I can live with.
I have a fireplace, but the one time I tried to use it I was stressed because the kitties were very very interested in it. Since it is in the living room, I can't shut the cats somewhere away from it and don't want to risk them getting hurt.

I have a fireplace, but the one time I tried to use it I was stressed because the kitties were very very interested in it. Since it is in the living room, I can't shut the cats somewhere away from it and don't want to risk them getting hurt.
A firescreen is your friend in that type of situation.

Same here in Western MD. I budget pay $105 all year. Most of the time I have a big credit. I just got a bill saying that we used $272 in electricity last month??--there is no way we used that much, that's almost 3 months worth normally. I went onto their webiste to look at bill,and it was 'estimated'. I went out , read meter, (the meter was less than half of what their estimated reading shows). I called them , gave her the meter reading, and asked how the heck they estimate such a high amount. She said it will even out when they actually read it next month. I said it had better , or you will be getting a not so nice phone call again, lol. She said I've been getting them all day. I don't know why they don't just read the meters every month. We have a wood stove, and that's how we heat the house all winter. I think I am going to start calling my meter reading in every month, or doing it online, and see how that works out.

My electric bill doesn’t change much throughout the year. I live in sourlth Jersey. Averages 175 a month. When I don’t use heat or air it might be 50 dollars cheaper.I leave credit in my electric account usually about 500 dollars.

We are on the budget plan for gas/electric, almost $500 a month, 12 months out of the year. We don’t even have central a/c. I’m glad our house is small!

Mine averages $350 in the summer, but since it’s been colder here than usual my gas bill has doubled. Granted it’s only $75, but my winter electric is still like $250 :(.

We are on the budget plan for gas/electric, almost $500 a month, 12 months out of the year. We don’t even have central a/c. I’m glad our house is small!

Something is defintely wrong you paying that much. That’s about double what you should be paying. Where are you from?

We're in the $300 a month range for water and power, with it going higher in summer (AC) and winter (heat). With the below freezing temps I anticipate January's bill to be MUCH higher than a typical winter bill. Older homes with poor insulation and outdated AC suck.

We are on the budget for $300 a month for gas & electric, most years I have a credit but there are some where I haven't.

I'm expecting next month's gas bill to be up, we had some subzero temps for a stretch, and just general below average temps. I on average pay about $60ish/month for electric except in the heat of summer when the AC can give me a bill as high as $150... but that's usually just July or August. But gas during the summer is like $18 while during the winter has been as high as $180. Fortunately those 2 high bills are on opposite ends of the year so it all tends to even out.

Except for out heat, which is oil. Everything else in our house is electric. There's no gas in our house. Our oil delivery is around $550 3 x's a year and our electric bill is $550-600 a month!! I hate this house!

I’m expecting next months bill to be quite a bit higher. Last year there was a huge difference and it’s been super cold here. Our budget plan is $109/month for gas and electric which I don’t think is too bad since we live in a house that was built in 1921 and it still have the original windows.

I bought a nest 3 months ago and it’s done wonders to our power bill. Our bills are much lower than last year at this time.

We have gas heat and hot water heater. Our last light bill was about $90 and the gas bill was twice that much. In the summer they switch except the gas bill is much lower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!