PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL INFO...FAQ`s and more.......

We just got back from our first Universal trip. It was a quick 2 night trip after we had spent a week at Hilton Head Island. We surprised the kids with 2 days after they thought our vacation was over. We stayed Portofino Club Level for 2 nights with 2-day park-to-park passes. I've stayed on site a couple times but just for meetings - not for leisure. So I don't really count those and they were quite a while ago.

We really liked the hotel! It was beautiful and the theming was everything we had hoped. Check-in went great. My husband bought the tickets while I checked in (we used gift cards) and we went for our express passes. We ran pretty hard for 2 days. That was all we had so we wanted to do as much as possible. We had been at the beach for a week so we didn't want to use our time for swimming or sitting by the pool. We wanted to make the most of the club level and the parks.

Our room had a great view of the bay and we were close to the club which was very convenient. We spent about equal times at both parks and really enjoyed both of them. We used our express passes like crazy and loved them! Will always stay at a deluxe hotel there for that reason! It was well worth it. We got pizza from Sal's one evening and it was very good. We also ate at Three Broomsticks and Monsters Cafe in the parks. They were both good (especially Three Broomsticks) but we were blown away by the cost of food. Even for theme park standards we were pretty surprised. We spent almost $100 on 4 regular meals and butterbeers just for lunch. But, they were very good and we enjoyed ourselves. I think our favorite attractions were Spiderman, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Transformers, Gringotts and our absolute favorite was Forbidden Journey! We rode it 4 times in 2 days. I could ride it over and over and never get tired of it! Such an amazing experience!

We loved having the boat to take to the parks. It was very relaxing and we never had to wait very long for it. No issues at all with the security lines. I would say there were only a couple things that could be improved such as having to carry so many cards (ticket, express pass, room key, and a club key). Even with lanyards it's too many. Would love to see them simplify that in some way. But, we knew about it ahead of time and it certainly didn't dampen our experience. And, unfortunately I have to say that we were pretty disappointed with the club level experience. I don't think I would pay for it again at Universal. No one ever attempted to greet us or talk to us during any of our stops in the lounge. We didn't receive turndown service the 2nd night which is one of my favorite things about club level. We were out the entire day so I know they didn't have trouble getting into the room. And, we thought the offerings were very disappointing - especially for kids. We really didn't enjoy them at all. We liked breakfast and having the soda and water accessible - but that was it. The afternoon was basically just bags of chips and the evening offerings had a very small and unappealing selection. But those were the only drawbacks of a wonderful stay.

Loved the hotel and loved the parks. Really liked everything being so compact and close together so we didn't have to spend hours going back and forth between places. And, I loved being able to text them any questions or requests at any time. I used that a lot and they always answered quickly. Can't wait to go back and spend more time. I think we'd like to try Royal Pacific next. Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

unnamed (10).jpg unnamed (13).jpg unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (6).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Wow!!

So glad you had such a fantastic time at PBH and the parks! You're review is fabulous.....and nice pictures too......

Shame about the Club Level experience.......sorry it wasn't everything you hoped it would be, always disappointing when that happens.

But, thank you for taking the time to review it for this thread.......we really appreciate it........:thumbsup2

Quick question.... sorry if it has been asked before.

How do you make room requests for PB? We are staying there for our first universal trip this summer. We have club level and want to be near the lounge.

Thanks!

Elandon call the resort directly and let them know your request. People who are in club usually get rooms in areas that are closer to lounge, but during busy time like summer not always. They are truely lovely there and will try to make every accomadation. Also if you are celebrating anything i.e. Birthday, Anniversary etc. let them know. I stay there often and absolutely love the Portofino.

I would call back a few days before your trip just as a reminder.

Have a fantastic trip. You will love the Portofino pixiedust:

How far in advance should I request room location? I would prefer the west wing. I am going in July so I know I may not get it. Do I call the hotel directly?

Thanks

How far in advance should I request room location? I would prefer the west wing. I am going in July so I know I may not get it. Do I call the hotel directly?

Thanks

I would call now and let them know of your request for the West Wing. I let them know on the reservation line where I would like to be when I put my initial reservation in and I also call the resort directly. They can look at the reservation and confirm that the request is there. Also when you check in remind them of your request. They do try to meet requests if possible.

Have a great stay at Portofino and a wonderful time in the parks pixiedust:

I would call now and let them know of your request for the West Wing. I let them know on the reservation line where I would like to be when I put my initial reservation in and I also call the resort directly. They can look at the reservation and confirm that the request is there. Also when you check in remind them of your request. They do try to meet requests if possible.

Have a great stay at Portofino and a wonderful time in the parks pixiedust:
Thank you!! I made the reservation on the Universal web site but I never saw a reservation line where I can add what location I would prefer. It just said Bay view. Thanks again, I will call the hotel.

Just got back today from a 2 night stay. We were in room 3340 and loved it. Room was in West Wing close to boat to the park. Room had view of the pool which was fun. We paid extra when we got there ($125 per night) for club room access and thought it was totally worth it for the 5 of us. Food was decent in there and it was so nice to have a place to spread out in when the hotel room was too cramped for all 5 of us. Staff was great. Small misunderstanding about luggage delivery to room, but everything worked out just fine. No complaints. I will definitely stay at Portofino again.

Just got back today from a 2 night stay. We were in room 3340 and loved it. Room was in West Wing close to boat to the park. Room had view of the pool which was fun. We paid extra when we got there ($125 per night) for club room access and thought it was totally worth it for the 5 of us. Food was decent in there and it was so nice to have a place to spread out in when the hotel room was too cramped for all 5 of us. Staff was great. Small misunderstanding about luggage delivery to room, but everything worked out just fine. No complaints. I will definitely stay at Portofino again.

Thanks for coming back to tell us........

So glad you had such a lovely time at PBH.......it is a beautiful hotel.

Just got back from our 4-night stay to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, thought I'd share some highlights.

So glad I switched from a bay view to garden view room. Saved $40 per night, and we were hardly in the room much anyway. Ended up putting that money to good use another way. . .more on that in a bit. I requested West Wing, and we got a room overlooking the Beach Pool, but with some nice foliage breaking a "direct" view. It was a very nice room, and very easy to get to the boats.

Ate at Il Trattoria, breakfast buffet one morning. We really enjoyed it! I especially liked an individual frittata and a huge slab of brioche toast. This was a nice way to start our "leisurely" day (no parks). Also ate at Sal's for lunch our last day - expensive but good. And from the pool restaurant one evening - pretty good for pool food.

Had a wonderful surprise when we got back to our room on Friday - a bottle of champagne and 4 large chocolate covered strawberries!! I didn't notice it at first, and was shocked when I finally clued in! I had made nice contact with the young woman who checked us in the previous day. She had arranged for the gift, in celebration of our anniversary. It was an absolutely delightful, totally unexpected gift, and we were touched. She also arranged for a delayed checkout for us today, so we were able to have a park morning prior to our departure. It was really incredible service. We had similar service, but under very different circumstances, when we first stayed at Portofino in December. Our college-age son was sick upon our arrival, and staff went above and beyond in trying to help him/our family. After these two experiences, I just can't say enough about the level of service at Portofino.

Park travel - boats ran constantly. We never waited more than 5 minutes.

Last thought - cabanas at the Villa Pool. What a bargain! They clearly have a supply/demand ratio issue - there are about 15 cabanas, and on any of the days we were there, not more than 4-5 were rented. So they're CHEAP!! Seriously, it was $100/day (price varies with season). And included a fruit platter (worth about $18 from the restaurant) and 6 bottled beverages. There's a tv and a ceiling fan. Constant shade (which my husband requires whenever it's above 75 degrees out). And either a "living room" or "dining room" set up, along with 2 chaise lounges. We spent the better part of two days in a villa, and it was a highlight of our trip. This is where I spent the $160 I "saved" by moving from a bay view to garden view room - and it was so worth it!

Overall, it was one of our better vacations, and I'm sure we will return in a few years!

Well, I was unaware that I could book a Universal Hotel this far out but I just did. Portofino, King room, bay view for October 27-Nov 3 2018. Yup 16 months away. I was originally going to switch resorts halfway through our stay but decided...no, the price was right for Stay More Play More and DH hates to move. Loving it! HHN and Universal here we come. Well, after a stint at POR at WDW.

Does anyone know if the beds in the kids suites are regular size twin beds? They look short in pictures, but it may just be the design that makes it look that way. I think this would work great for our family, but my teen is 5'8 and I worry the bed would be too short. Thanks!

I read in another hotel thread where pc stang stated the beds were regular twin size

Can anyone confirm all rooms have mini fridges now?
I read they were switching from mini bars but had not heard if this is complete. Also Universal's websites under room amenities does not list fridge but "Refreshment pantry (fees apply)"

I read they were switching from mini bars but had not heard if this is complete. Also Universal's websites under room amenities does not list fridge but "Refreshment pantry (fees apply)"

I can't speak to all the rooms being changed over, but our Garden View room in the West Wing was a regular fridge instead of a minibar.

They were starting to change over beginning March this year I was told.

I would imagine most rooms if not all have been done. Anyone who has been and come back to tell us about it have all had a fridge from what I can see.

However, it may be worth calling and having the fact you require a fridge put on your reservation.

Does anyone know if the in-room safe at Portofino Bay is big enough to fit a laptop?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!