Portable shower chair for Disney trips

arminnie

<font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br
I have found that I now need to use a shower chair. I've seen conflicting information about whether someone should borrow one or rent one at Disney if not in a HA room. As I do not have to have a HA room at present I leave them for the people where it is essential.

I am able at this point in time to take a couple of steps to transfer to a chair. I just cannot stand up in the shower long enough to take a proper shower or to wash my hair. I tried a small one (tripod stool) which was a disaster. No way I could get up from it, and it was not stable at all. My DH had to rescue me.

I borrowed one from my sister who needed it after surgery. It has helped immensely. I decided to try for something that I could take to Disney (and stops on the way). I found this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY464SP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a backless stool with upturned seat that I can get a good grip on to stand up. It appears to be very stable. It folds up very compactly and only weighs about 9 pounds. I think I will use it in the shower at home as it can easily be folded up and put out of the way when my DH uses the shower. Right now he's taking the big chair in and out of the shower. There were others that were a little less money, but the reviews said those were not as stable. I will willing to spend an additional $20 for stability.

We drive so it will be easy to transport it. Some articles that I've read said that it is durable medical equipment that will not count as baggage for air travel.

This would not be the solution with no mobility, but I wanted to share it as an option for someone like me who has partial mobility.

That's very nice - thanks for sharing that link, I have bookmarked it.

We travel frequently to a favorite location where the rooms have showers, but no seats; I can take something like this and it will go easily in the back of the car!

I just noticed that it costs $6 more today than when I bought it two days ago. I've noticed that Amazon prices can vary day to day. When I bought my scooter it was $635. A few months later it was well under $600. And then recently it's been $700.

We were happy with the shower chair our Disney resort provided when we asked, but I've heard from others who haven't been. Probably luck of the draw.

I just noticed that it costs $6 more today than when I bought it two days ago. I've noticed that Amazon prices can vary day to day. When I bought my scooter it was $635. A few months later it was well under $600. And then recently it's been $700.

You have to watch the vendor too - I purchase some of my medical supplies on Amazon, and we have had the exact same product page show up for multiple vendors; some allow Prime shipping, and others don't, and shipping charges can vary wildly too.

What is the current situation with Disney and shower chairs? Every hotel I've been to since needing a shower chair (well, there were only 3) has had one (or more). Even DHHI had one for me. Yet, I heard that the Disney resorts in Orlando don't lend shower chairs for liability reasons, and you must rent one or bring one from home. Apparently the Disney resort on HHI didn't get that memo (lucky for me!). I love that chair you showed. I wonder if it would fold up for putting in a suitcase? If I'm flying, can I do that? If not, how do I get a shower chair at WDW?

I honestly don’t know the Disney situation with shower chairs. And I probably wouldn’t trust an answer from calling MS.

When I recently flew with my ECV I checked my walker when I checked my luggage. It was not packed in anything. They just put a tag on it. It always arrived safely.

There was no charge for the walker as it considered medical equipment. I think you’d have to check with the airline directly to get a definite answer about a shower chair.

Last I knew, WDW does have some shower chairs available to borrow. The condition of that chair may be questionable. Supply may be limited. And the style of chair may not be your preference or suit your needs. To be certain of having what you need, it’s recommended to rent. Orlando Medical Rentals appears to have taken over from Care Medical; there may be other vendors in the area.

Enjoy your vacation!

What is the current situation with Disney and shower chairs? Every hotel I've been to since needing a shower chair (well, there were only 3) has had one (or more). Even DHHI had one for me. Yet, I heard that the Disney resorts in Orlando don't lend shower chairs for liability reasons, and you must rent one or bring one from home. Apparently the Disney resort on HHI didn't get that memo (lucky for me!). I love that chair you showed. I wonder if it would fold up for putting in a suitcase? If I'm flying, can I do that? If not, how do I get a shower chair at WDW?
We took a road trip recently & some hotels had shower chairs & some didn't. You couldn't even be sure a room with a roll-in shower would have a decent bench. When we were checking in to a Holiday Inn, we were told we could choose between a tub room or roll-in shower room. The shower room had no hand held sprayer that could be reached from the bench so we asked to see the tub room. It had a sprayer but they had no shower chair even though it was an HA room. We settled on the shower room & I noticed there was a pipe on the wall to connect a sprayer. My husband asked if they could take the hand held sprayer from the tub room & put it in the shower room. The check-in lady said the maintenance guy had left but my husband could do it. They think the previous guest stole the sprayer. The lady said she'd order a new one & my husband told her she might want to order a chair for the tub room since most people who need a HA room could use a chair.
We learned from that trip to bring my own chair on non Disney trips. If we book a HA tub room at Disney, I bring my transfer bench. Anytime we've gotten a chair from them it wasn't what I needed. That's the problem with hotels supplying equipment. Some guests can manage with a small stool while others need a transfer bench. Also, they can't know how many will be needed. They could just supply one in each HA room but I'm sure lots of guests in regular rooms request them also. Our last Disney trip only a shower room was available so I didn't bring my bench. I trusted that any Disney resort would have a suitable bench in a roll-in shower. The bench was nice but I still prefer a tub room even though traveling with the chair is a hassle. The folding one looks nice & easier for traveling but it wouldn't work for those that need the type that goes over the side of the tub. We have a large suitcase mine fits in after the legs are removed. We don't bother with the back, less to disassemble & reassemble. We put other stuff like toiletry bags & shoes in that suitcase so it's not too bad. When we didn't bring my bench, we had to bring a duffle bag for non clothing items so still 2 pieces of luggage. With the folding one, you wouldn't have to put it in a suitcase & it wouldn't count as an extra piece of luggage. Hopefully they'd treat it gently & it arrives unbroken. We did have an issue once with the resort airline check-in refusing to take my walker even though they'd done it many times before. We called after we got home after noticing they had taken strollers. I was told they should've taken the walker but it could be they were concerned about damage. You could run into a similar issue when flying with a shower chair that's not in a suitcase.
After all that back story, my experience is, if you really need a shower chair or require a certain type, bring your own or rent one. Resorts may have what you need but maybe not. In any Disney resort, a roll-in shower room should have what you need. Holliday Inns, don't count on it. That folding one looks nice, wish it worked for me but great for those it does work for. Traveling with a shower chair is a little bit of hassle but not as much as not having the equipment you need to safely bathe.

You can never be sure what you will get in an accessible room...on 2 of the 3 occasions when I chose a roll-in shower room, I could not use it because in one - the water controls were not anywhere near the provided seat, which was bolted to the wall and 2 - the sink was in the way of transferring to the provided bench. Provided tub benches are usually of the less sturdy variety, usually do not have a back rest, and don't come over the edge of the tub. If I go someplace for more than a night, I would definitely rent something that makes for a safe and comfortable shower experience.

I love my new shower chair. I just used it yesterday for the first time. I have a walk in shower (small step in) at home. I actually prefer the stool with no back as I felt it was easier to wash all over and to dry myself afterwards. My shower has what kind of looks like small stones or pebbles on the floor. I was concerned that my shower stool might not be totally stable on an uneven surface but it was. I could easily scrub my scalp with both hands (I have thick hair) and not have to hold on to something with one hand. I had no difficulty getting up from it.

The best part was being able to take the time I needed (I have a very short window of how long I can stand even when holding on to something) for my shower and hair wash. And I was not exhausted when I exited. Made me feel a lot more "normal".

And I am glad that it is portable enough to travel with so I no longer have to worry about how I can arrange something as simple as washing my hair. When I had to stand I could be wiped out for half of the day. Not a good thing at Disney.:)

Shower stools come in many styles and hopefully something to suit everyone's needs. Next time I get one I want one that can be used facing either way, because for the past few years I have not been able to face the shower head. I have to reach back and turn it on... and make sure the seat is placed to get directly under the spray because once I am sitting on it I can't move it. I dislike handheld showers unless they can be switched back and forth for the regular spray. They are good for directing the spray at certain areas, but I don't like being cold while the spray is not on me and having to hold it and not have both hands free, or putting it down and having the spray go everywhere, or shutting it off and putting it down, picking it up and turning it on. People always ask me why I don't get one of those, and I tell them why.

Shower stools co, me in many styles and hopefully something to suit everyone's needs. Next time I get one I want one that can be used facing either way, because for the past few years I have not been able to face the shower head. I have to reach back and turn it on... and make sure the seat is placed to get directly under the spray because once I am sitting on it I can't move it. I dislike handheld showers unless they can be switched back and forth for the regular spray. They are good for directing the spray at certain areas, but I don't like being cold while the spray is not on me and having to hold it and not have both hands free, or putting it down and having the spray go everywhere, or shutting it off and putting it down, picking it up and turning it on. People always ask me why I don't get one of those, and I tell them why.
I totally get what you are saying. My shower at home has both - a rain type shower head that is high up and a hand held. My preference is to sit directly under the overhead shower head. My handheld is mounted very high (I think the person who redid this bathroom was a giant). I can barely reach it when standing. I've ordered another holder so I can hang it up lower, but I do not like having to dedicate one hand to hold it.

I want both my hands for soaping and shampooing. Apartment managers are looking into getting the kind that I can switch. They just installed a grab bar for me and asked me where I wanted it and what height, which is good because sometimes they are put too high or in a place where I can't actually use them. I can get along without it, but it's an extra thing to lean on while moving this way and that. Speaking of giants, whoever decided to make the kitchen cabinets so high in my apartment building must have been one. Even a tall person who can stand up has a hard time to reach the top shelf. I can't stand and can't reach the bottom shelf. There are some lower cabinets and drawers though. This is in a unit with some extra features to make it more accessible like the breakfast bar is a little lower. Anyway, when I stayed at Disney World I was at the Polynesian and I don't remember what the shower bench was like but it was fine. I loved the zero entry pool.

Zero entry pools are the best. The hardest thing for me is to walk up steps. I can do it with effort and a railing - but all too often I find myself in a situation with a few steps with no railing like at someone's home. My DH has learned how to simulate being a pseudo railing.:) Some people think that just offering me a hand is enough - but that doesn't work for me.

I am sure they must have zero entry pools somewhere else but I have not seen them. I wish I'd had more time for the pool at Disney but it was only a few days and of course we all wanted to get in the time at the parks. I would have enjoyed a whole day at the pool, especially with the water being so warm.. I don't like cold pools. Now many hotel pools have lifts. But yes the pools at people's homes a lot of times have no railing. People like to offer me a hand too but I can't use it at all as I can't stand up and I need both arms to move myself and if you grab my arm I can't do anything. If someone wants to help it's the legs they need to grab and that can be kind of embarrassing (for them more than me). That situation usually arises when I get a taxi or Uber car and it's not a regular car, it's a high car like a mini-van. I can't lift myself up that high without an assist with the legs.

I am sure they must have zero entry pools somewhere else but I have not seen them. I wish I'd had more time for the pool at Disney but it was only a few days and of course we all wanted to get in the time at the parks. I would have enjoyed a whole day at the pool, especially with the water being so warm.. I don't like cold pools. Now many hotel pools have lifts. But yes the pools at people's homes a lot of times have no railing. People like to offer me a hand too but I can't use it at all as I can't stand up and I need both arms to move myself and if you grab my arm I can't do anything. If someone wants to help it's the legs they need to grab and that can be kind of embarrassing (for them more than me). That situation usually arises when I get a taxi or Uber car and it's not a regular car, it's a high car like a mini-van. I can't lift myself up that high without an assist with the legs.
There are many WDW Resorts with zero entry pools.
Post 17 of the disABILITIES FAQs has information (including pictures) about zero entry pools. This is a link to that thread; you can also find a link in my signature or look for the thread near the top of this board.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

All WDW pools have lifts, including ‘quiet’ pools and hot tubs.

I have not been to Disney in some time, may visit Disneyland next summer when I visit my son in LA. I am glad they have lifts for hot tubs as well as pools because it was always a problem figuring out how to get in them (really no way unless some strong person was around to lift).

We have one at home for my youngest, but it's a bit smaller than the one you're looking at from Amazon (we also got it from Amazon). It was roughly $27. We actually sent a new one to our timeshare in Hawaii last summer, as we were there a month, so he could have it the whole time (then we left it for their housekeeping to clean and offer to another guest).

Disney does have them through housekeeping, but yes, they vary. One trip they brought us almost the exact one we have at home, which fit in the tub perfectly. The next time, they brought us some monstrosity that didn't work at all, so if we couldn't book a roll in shower room we'd ship a new one from Amazon to us ahead of time.

I do think bringing your own is the best! At least you have what you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter