Pool hopping for DVC members

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
I saw the list of restrictions, but is there a list of pools that DVC members ARE allowed to 'hop' to? I saw Contemporary Pool is on the restricted list (is it?), but what about BAY Lake Towers pool? ( I mean if the CR resort pool if of limits, what about the BLT pool? and the same for others on the restriced DW list?)

If it’s not restricted, it’s allowed.

I thought about listing them out the other day, but then if Disney changes their restrictions my list wouldn’t be accurate.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools/

DVC now calls it Alternative Pool Use. More details are found at the link above. Also if the WDW pool is not listed then you can pool hop to that resort. The managers at the other resorts control whether DVC members are allowed to pool hop. So the list can change.

As to the Contemporary you can pool hop to that resort. But you cannot pool hop to the pool at Bay Lake Tower. That pool really isn't large enough for guests staying at BLT.

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:

• The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
  • Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
  • Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels
Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
  • Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resorts
  • The leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas
  • The Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
  • The Copper Creek Springs Pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • The pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
  • Boulder Ridge Cove Pool at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Blockout Dates

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, you and your overnight guests may not pool hop during the following dates:
  • Friday, May 25, 2018 through Monday, May 28, 2018
  • Sunday, July 1, 2018 through Saturday, July 7, 2018
  • Friday, August 31, 2018 through Monday, September 3, 2018
  • Monday, November 19, 2018 through Saturday, November 24, 2018
  • Friday, December 21, 2018 through Wednesday, January 2, 2019

As for the Uzima Pool (Jambo House) & Samawati Springs Pool (Kidani Village) at AKL/AKV, you can use either pool if you are staying at AKL/AKV.

I saw the list of restrictions, but is there a list of pools that DVC members ARE allowed to 'hop' to? I saw Contemporary Pool is on the restricted list (is it?), but what about BAY Lake Towers pool? ( I mean if the CR resort pool if of limits, what about the BLT pool? and the same for others on the restriced DW list?)

That is backwards - you can hop to the CR pool but BLT pool is restricted from hopping. Even CR guests can't use it.

As for the Uzima Pool (Jambo House) & Samawati Springs Pool (Kidani Village) at AKL/AKV, you can use either pool if you are staying at AKL/AKV.
Thanks, but lets say you're staying at CBR and want to visit ANY pool at AKV, what options if any do you have to swim there?

Thanks, but lets say you're staying at CBR and want to visit ANY pool at AKV, what options if any do you have to swim there?

Both pools at Animal Kingdom Lodge/Villas are excluded from pool hopping. Only guests at Kidani and Jambo are permitted to use Uzima pool and Samawati Springs.

Going one step further, a member staying at CBR is actually not eligible to hop to ANY pool. You have to be staying at a WDW DVC property or Vero Beach in order to pool hop. CBR guests can use the CBR pools.

That's easy - you have to stay at AKL/AKV. Both AKV pools are excluded from any hopping so staying there is the only legitimate way to use the pools.

As mentioned though, if you are staying at CBR then you aren't eligible for hopping anyway. It is not a perk that just comes with being a DVC member - you also have to be staying at a DVC resort on your membership.

"When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:"

That is backwards - you can hop to the CR pool but BLT pool is restricted from hopping. Even CR guests can't use it.
I think the issue with the BLT pool is that it is small. Like someone stated there is not enough room for people staying ther never mind anyone else. I was very suprised how small it was when we stayed there in April. It was nice, but too small for the size of the resort. Loved the view from the resort, but the pool is too small.

It's also important to remember that there is nothing scientific about these decisions. They aren't applying a formula involving room counts and average occupancy to determine if pool hopping should be allowed or not. The decision is made by the resort general manager. And once those decisions are made, they are rarely revisited. Well, at least not to the extent that a resort which is excluded decides to go in the other direction.

Basically any pool worth hopping to is on the restricted list (Stormalong Bay). I never understood the whole pool hopping thing to begin with. The thought of having no place to change and taking Disney busses to a park to transfer to another bus just to go to a pool that you already have at your resort is too much work for me. It's bad enough that you have to go thru it to get to a water park. I really think that Disney offered it as a benefit thinking that no one would use it.

Basically any pool worth hopping to is on the restricted list (Stormalong Bay). I never understood the whole pool hopping thing to begin with. The thought of having no place to change and taking Disney busses to a park to transfer to another bus just to go to a pool that you already have at your resort is too much work for me. It's bad enough that you have to go thru it to get to a water park. I really think that Disney offered it as a benefit thinking that no one would use it.

The one exception I have been mulling over is going to the kids splash area at GF from Poly. It's a short walk and looks pretty nice. That's really the only one I can think of, though, as all other moves would require a drive or monorail ride, or a downgrade in pool.

The splash area at GF is good for toddlers, but for kids that are a little older Poly’s splash area would probably be more fun. But you never know what your kids will like....

I haven't been to all of the WDW resort feature pools but the ones I have visited have small changing rooms with private showers.

We don't pool hop often but it's a nice change of pace for a particularly long visit. During one stay at Saratoga Springs, we visited both Old Key West and POFQ. It's quite easy if you have a car to get around. I'm not really sure why people are often so critical of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!