Poly vs Copper Creek & point suggestions

duck_adoo

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am debating poly vs cc. We typically would not go with less then 6 people, so cc works better that way. But I love the location options at poly. Especially down the line if our kids start families. The monorail to 2 parks is a great benefit and we could do 2 deluxe studios. We love Boardwalk when I mentioned this to the CM he mentioned how those contracts expire in 25 yrs and the price per point difference I'd probably still be better off with Poly or CC because I'd get another 25ish years. It makes sense to me, but am I missing something? Is there an avg point that everyone purchases? TIA! Sorry for the long message

Hi! I am debating poly vs cc. We typically would not go with less then 6 people, so cc works better that way. But I love the location options at poly. Especially down the line if our kids start families. The monorail to 2 parks is a great benefit and we could do 2 deluxe studios. We love Boardwalk when I mentioned this to the CM he mentioned how those contracts expire in 25 yrs and the price per point difference I'd probably still be better off with Poly or CC because I'd get another 25ish years. It makes sense to me, but am I missing something? Is there an avg point that everyone purchases? TIA! Sorry for the long message

So are you going to book two studios at Poly for 6 people? Why not buy something for much less on the resale market?

No average purchase of points- everyone buys what they need to get the room they want/need. What you need to look at is the room size -- so for your party of 6 you would need a 2 bedroom. The benefits of doing a 2BR vs 2 studios at poly would be having a full kitchen, laundry and more space. The poly studio would have a little kitchenette - having a full kitchen with that many people is a huge bonus to be able to make/store food for breakfast in the morning.

you could get into a BWV contract for half the money of CCV but like the sales rep mentioned 1/2 the contract life. It depends on how long you plan on using - 25 years is still a long time. Do not buy with any intention of leaving to children because they may not want/need or be able to afford the yearly fees. If in 20 years you still love DVC and you want more time -- then at that point you could buy a resale of CCV or poly.

You really need to make a pro/con list for each resort, research points charts, look at all the financial options - resale vs direct and yearly MF. I would say for your family you will want the ability to book something other than a studio -that is the biggest limiting factor to Poly- those studios become real cramped when you are spending a week with even 4 people.

Rule #1 - Buy where you don't mind staying.

If you love the Poly and the studios are not an issue for you, then purchase at PVB. If you feel that staying in a 1-BR would be better for your family, then you will not be happy with owning at a resort that only has studios and expensive bungalows.

BWV contracts will expire in 2042. For some people, that is not an issue and they're willing to accept a shorter contract life in exchange for the location and a lower cost to buy in. Your guide is comparing direct sales prices for BWV ($165 pp) and PVB or CCV ($176 pp + "free points for life" incentive for 185-point contracts and larger). And in that respect, he has a point. But remember, his job is to sell PVB and CCV. He's going to tell you whatever he can to influence you to buy one of those resorts. BWV contracts on the resale market are much more reasonably priced (closer to $98-$110 per point, depending on the number of points in the contract) but will come with fewer benefits.

I don't think that there is an "average" number of points that individuals purchase. There are several factors that influence that number - family size, frequency of visits, time of year usually visiting, points charts for home resort. Once you take those into consideration, it's easy to figure out how many points you will require to make your usual reservations. Then add a cushion of about 10% to allow you to book at the resorts that require more points per night or as insurance against any future reallocation of points.

I'd buy resale at BLT if I were you, with enough points for a 2br. It has the location you like, and monorail option (which lately in my opinion is not a plus). You can walk to MK from BLT, it's about 5 mins from the front door.

Two things you sacrifice booking two studios: In-unit W/D, and a kitchen. With larger groups, these are both valuable amenities.

Only you know which resorts are your favorites and if buying there is worth a shorter contract life. For us it is, why anyone would buy and stay at a resort just because the contract has a longer termination date is beyond me. There is also a possibility that DVD will extend those contracts, they did at OKW.

:earsboy: Bill

PVB points per night are quite high, so for about the number of points you would book two studios, you can book a 2 bed in most of the other resorts. And if you buy resale, you can save a lot of money too. Not all older resorts expire in 25 years, BLT as other have said is a very good long term option and has a great location.
Are you set on PVB because you particularly like it or just becaise between PVB and CCV you like it more?

You will need a 2 bedroom at CCV for 6 people. The 1 bedrooms there sleep 4 plus an infant (under 3. Sleeping space for the infant is a Pac 'n Play or similar).

I wouldn't buy anything based on what you'd need if/when your kids start families. They may not want to have kids. They may eventually not want to go to Disney or afford the payments if left to them. I would look at what you need for now, as you can always add additional points later.

The points per night chart also goes much farther at BWV.

Let's look at a trip for 6 nights in June just before the summer points season starts, let's say Jun 3-9, 2018.

2 Poly standard rooms will run you 129 points per room or 258 points for 6 night.

A BWV pool view 2br will cost 264 points and that comes with a kitchen and living room. If you are able to book right at 11 months and grab a standard 2br, then the cost would be 235 points.

If you want to compare apples to apples, then same trip in 2 BWV studios: 198 points for 2 pool view rooms, 174 points for 2 standard studios.

It's not just cost per points but also points per nights and BWV will take your points much further.

Plus. The Gondola system is coming to international gateway as a transportation option for DHS. And Star Wars Land.

And DVC has 6 resorts with 2042 end dates. It's a practical impossibility to close, refurb, and resale all those points at once. It'd destroy the 7 month window for the remaining resorts, for one thing. They almost have to stagger those closures a few years apart. I expect 5-10 yr extensions will be offered at some point.

Buy where you want to stay.

My advice: buy a 50 point Poly contract direct to make you a member and get direct benefits and then find a 220 point or so BWV contract resale. That will allow you to bring the group and occasionally have a smaller side trip at Poly.

Let's look at the math of the above purchase:

200 Poly points direct will run you something close to $31,600 with incentives.

50 Poly points would be $8,800 plus 220 BWV points at even a high price of $110 equals $24,200 and throw in another $500 for additional closing cost of 2 contracts and that's $33,500 but that's for 270 total points vs. 200.

(Apples to apples $31,600 for 200 Poly vs $25,800 for 50 Poly and 150 BWV).

Your purchase number of points will go further for the same price and so will your cost per night at BWV.

Last edited:
I agree with others in that putting a lot of value into the extra 25 years is not the best idea. I don't know about you, but trying to plan out what is going to happen in 25 years from now is a fool's errand. Way too many things can happen. Heck, the likelihood of anyone keeping their contract for 25 years is highly unlikely. I don't know the numbers, but I'm confident in saying that it is probably less than 5% overall. The resale market exists for a reason -- lots of people sell their contracts at some point.

Regarding your children -- how old are they? If they are still living with you, I wouldn't worry about trying to buy something now that might also work when they are grown and have kids of their own. Again -- that is so far down the road, it is pointless to plan for it now. If your kids end up having kids, you can always buy in at another resort down the line. Sure, prices will likely be higher, but you'll have a better idea of the wants and needs of everyone. Right now, you'd be stabbing in the dark.

Regarding what resort -- don't forget to look at point charts for each resort. Two lake view rooms at poly for a week will cost 300 points for adventure season and 540 points for premier season (easter and christmas). Conversely, you could get 2 studios at boardwalk for 215 points (adventure) and 376 points (premiere). In other words, poly rooms are about 40% more expensive just on the amounts of points they use. So not only do you spend more initially, you'll be spending more per point.

A 2 BR at BWV would cost 269 points and 477 points, respectively. This is still cheaper than the 2 studio option at Poly, and you'd gain the additional living room, kitchen and in room washer/dryers. Both are excellent locations.

Also -- if you owned at BWV, you could have a shot at the "standard" rooms (they can be very difficult to book even at 11 months, so you can't count on getting them), and these would give you even more value. 152 points for two studios for a week (half the point cost compared to Poly) and the 2 BR is 220 points (poly 37% more expensive).

I agree with others in that putting a lot of value into the extra 25 years is not the best idea. I don't know about you, but trying to plan out what is going to happen in 25 years from now is a fool's errand. Way too many things can happen. Heck, the likelihood of anyone keeping their contract for 25 years is highly unlikely. I don't know the numbers, but I'm confident in saying that it is probably less than 5% overall. The resale market exists for a reason -- lots of people sell their contracts at some point.

Regarding your children -- how old are they? If they are still living with you, I wouldn't worry about trying to buy something now that might also work when they are grown and have kids of their own. Again -- that is so far down the road, it is pointless to plan for it now. If your kids end up having kids, you can always buy in at another resort down the line. Sure, prices will likely be higher, but you'll have a better idea of the wants and needs of everyone. Right now, you'd be stabbing in the dark.

Regarding what resort -- don't forget to look at point charts for each resort. Two lake view rooms at poly for a week will cost 300 points for adventure season and 540 points for premier season (easter and christmas). Conversely, you could get 2 studios at boardwalk for 215 points (adventure) and 376 points (premiere). In other words, poly rooms are about 40% more expensive just on the amounts of points they use. So not only do you spend more initially, you'll be spending more per point.

A 2 BR at BWV would cost 269 points and 477 points, respectively. This is still cheaper than the 2 studio option at Poly, and you'd gain the additional living room, kitchen and in room washer/dryers. Both are excellent locations.

Also -- if you owned at BWV, you could have a shot at the "standard" rooms (they can be very difficult to book even at 11 months, so you can't count on getting them), and these would give you even more value. 152 points for two studios for a week (half the point cost compared to Poly) and the 2 BR is 220 points (poly 37% more expensive).
We were thinking alike and typing and running numbers at the same time.

Wow!! Thank you all for all the great input!! My kids are 21 (twins) & 14. I'm thinking if we haven't outgrown Disney, we never will! I will definitely take all your great comments into account when making our decision! Thanks again!

Wow!! Thank you all for all the great input!! My kids are 21 (twins) & 14. I'm thinking if we haven't outgrown Disney, we never will! I will definitely take all your great comments into account when making our decision! Thanks again!
I'd recommend spending a few months getting educated, esp regarding resale. For DVC to make sense one has to be able to afford it (to me that's pay cash), value staying on property, be able to plan at least 7 months out and be OK with the compromises of a timeshare. Those are the minimum qualifications IMO. IF DVC makes sense it's then resale vs retail, ? home resort, how many points and UY as the decision to make. For most, esp those new to DVC, resale plus a 25 pt retail purchase to get the discounts/perks is the best choice. I wouldn't let the shorter time deter you but I would consider the value overall. IMO BWV is a decent value, esp if you desire that location and will use the standard view rooms choice. SSR is the best value and BLT is second with AKV third IMO overall but individual situations and preferences then come into play.

I know you are asking specifically about CC and Poly but We purchased a while ago at SSR. My kids were young then and we have enough points for 3 bedroom Villas or two bedrooms.

Our reasoning on SSR was that when the kids were older (and my dh and me) we had access to DTD in our backyard. I wanted the kids to be able to go and be able to dine and drink (and my dh and me too) without hassles of busses and have many options (even movies).

In May, after my dd finished her first year of law school, she and her bf went and stayed five days in a one bedroom and used DTD almost every night and golfed one day.

Although being on he monorail is very nice, I wold prefer our resort to be where we would most likely want to wnd up at night, which is DTD, especially as the kids get older.

Let us know what you decide.

I'm not planning on buying until next summer so I am in the early stages of looking into everything. So I'll definitely be researching over these upcoming months and will hopefully be able to digest all this great info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!