Please help me set up a wireless network!

sap1227

DIS Veteran
I do not know anything about this, but my new laptop is on it's way and I want to set up the wireless as soon as it gets here.

Please tell me what I need to buy:confused: :confused: :confused:

I connect via Cable.
I am getting a Dell 5100 (in case it matters)

How difficult will this be (my computer experience is limited to installing a CD drive).

What should I be aware of (security???)

Thanks so much for any help. I have searched the WEB and really do not understand what the sites are talking about (I need the Idiots guide!!!)

Christy

I wish I could help...but DH is away on business until tonight and he's my computer guy. So I'll bump this for you and ask him when he gets home. But I'm pretty sure there are some DISers that can help.

Amy

Just Ted says "easy!" He just recently made our house wireless.

If you only have a laptop and cable, you need a wireless cable router and a wireless LAN adapter for the laptop (it plugs into the pcmcia slot on the side of the laptop)

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11159620&m=488&cat=540&scat=1572

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11159618&m=488&cat=540&scat=1572

You could get these cheaper online at a place like www.tigerdirect.com

At least the links give you an idea of what you need to get.

As for security, I would suggest searching online for a wireless LAN security or 802.11b security.

Enjoy wireless!

Holly

Go to http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/topics/segtopic_3_lma_truemobile.htm
for step by step instructions.

Your laptop has an internal antenna and will take an internal wireless card. If you didn't order it with the system, you should be able to install it yourself.

For security, set a new domain name instead of the default and turn on WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) at the least. Windows XP is very easy to set wireless up in. The built in help is pretty good as well. If you can install a drive, you should be able to handle wireless.

Buz

I am hoping the computer will be here early next week, so look for posts of frustration then!! Thaks for all of the insight, it is good to know that I should be able to do it on my own. I'll let you know how it goes!

Christy

Personally, I would not buy the gear directly from Dell. You can get a WAY better deal elsewhere.

For instance:
D-Link Wireless Router (Recertified) $39.99 after $30.00 Mail in Rebate Here
TrendNet wireless card $24.99 after $5.00 Mail In Rebate Here

Compared to Dell's TrueMobile router for $79.99 and TrueMobile Wireless card for $49.99, it is a slightly better deal.

Ted

I am not getting the wireless stuff from Dell, I am a bargain shopper and know I will find it cheaper else where!

Thanks for the links!
Christy

Originally posted by Ted and Holly
Compared to Dell's TrueMobile router for $79.99 and TrueMobile Wireless card for $49.99, it is a slightly better deal.

It's half the price! Wow!

Other than I believe our stuff is more reliable (I manage Dell Reliability for peripherals), I like the internal card from Dell as you don't have the card's antenna hanging out to get hit, or have to be removed to put the system in the case.

I have a wireless router from SMC I bought last year and have been very happy with it. Know lots of folks that have DLink hardware.

Good luck and enjoy wireless. It is great to sit on the couch and Dis Chat!

Buz

It is OK to get the internal card from "Dell" (or where ever) and then get the router from some where else and they do not need to be the same brand? How do I know that they are compatable? I do like the idea of the internal card.

As long as they are the same protocol (802.11b), you will be OK.
Buz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter