Please critique my purchase plan.

If you do 200, ask for 100 and 2 50s. That way if you need to downgrade back to 150, you can.
This is exactly what I did. Going to get the extra 50 because it comes out so cheap per point. Also it seems most people have more than 200 points so we will probably add on at some point but having 100/50/50 makes for some decent resale opportunities as well. Thank you everyone for the help. It took us 2 years and about 6 trips to commit but I can see us going every year or multiple times a year, just as a couple, mother/daughter getaway, getaway with friends who otherwise couldn't afford to go, trips for food and wine, trips for our kids when they get older focusing more on water parks or even using our points to stay at Poly but trying out Universal one year when our kids are older. I would be happy to just go and spend the entire trip at The Poly eating a dole whip and sitting in the amazing smelling lobby! I know the money we will save by having the resort prepaid and the discounts on passes/dining/etc will probably be outweighed by the fact that we will go so much more often with DVC but for me it is just knowing that our family will have that special time set aside every year (or 2) to go back "home" and spend time together. One of our first trips we met a couple probably in their 50's (while we were riding the monorail) who were traveling with their daughter and her fiancé and were going to be traveling soon with their other daughter and her family and they were DVC members and had been since their kids were little. They went every year and were just so helpful with all that they told us and seeing how they were still benefiting from DVC and now bringing adult children and grandchildren. I'm sure that is a pretty common scenario but I am so thankful to them because we never would have considered buying otherwise. It seems every trip we meet new DVC members and the comments are overwhelmingly positive. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and suggestions!

This is exactly what I did. Going to get the extra 50 because it comes out so cheap per point. Also it seems most people have more than 200 points so we will probably add on at some point but having 100/50/50 makes for some decent resale opportunities as well. Thank you everyone for the help. It took us 2 years and about 6 trips to commit but I can see us going every year or multiple times a year, just as a couple, mother/daughter getaway, getaway with friends who otherwise couldn't afford to go, trips for food and wine, trips for our kids when they get older focusing more on water parks or even using our points to stay at Poly but trying out Universal one year when our kids are older. I would be happy to just go and spend the entire trip at The Poly eating a dole whip and sitting in the amazing smelling lobby! I know the money we will save by having the resort prepaid and the discounts on passes/dining/etc will probably be outweighed by the fact that we will go so much more often with DVC but for me it is just knowing that our family will have that special time set aside every year (or 2) to go back "home" and spend time together. One of our first trips we met a couple probably in their 50's (while we were riding the monorail) who were traveling with their daughter and her fiancé and were going to be traveling soon with their other daughter and her family and they were DVC members and had been since their kids were little. They went every year and were just so helpful with all that they told us and seeing how they were still benefiting from DVC and now bringing adult children and grandchildren. I'm sure that is a pretty common scenario but I am so thankful to them because we never would have considered buying otherwise. It seems every trip we meet new DVC members and the comments are overwhelmingly positive. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and suggestions!
Welcome Home!

We love Poly.

Congratulations! I was going to add - we have 185 at BLT and wish we had 200. And we are likely going to add on at another resort in the next year. We've had the same experience talking to long time DVC owners - some have been friends for years, and now take couples' trips; others still have little kids. We definitely go more often now, (I know, hard to believe looking at my signature, LOL), but it's making us take a little break from our workaholic lives and take real vacations with our kids instead of trying to jam a "vacation" into one of our work conferences.

Regarding DVC members talking it up...I did the same thing on my last trip. I was golfing with a guy and I spent probably an hour talking about how much I loved my DVC. I joked that Disney should be paying me a commission. Hahaha

Regarding DVC members talking it up...I did the same thing on my last trip. I was golfing with a guy and I spent probably an hour talking about how much I loved my DVC. I joked that Disney should be paying me a commission. Hahaha
I know what you mean. That was another thing that sold me - how much this family raved and really seemed invested in convincing us to purchase. (Probably saw our 2 very young children and knew we were in it for years to come). I was expecting them to say "and our name and member number is ______ so be sure to mention we referred you". I think I may have even asked and, unlike so many other things, there was no benefit to them for referring us (so no ulterior motive imo).

I know what you mean. That was another thing that sold me - how much this family raved and really seemed invested in convincing us to purchase. (Probably saw our 2 very young children and knew we were in it for years to come). I was expecting them to say "and our name and member number is ______ so be sure to mention we referred you". I think I may have even asked and, unlike so many other things, there was no benefit to them for referring us (so no ulterior motive imo).

Disney does actually provide referral benefits if your home state allows it...but I just shoot people straight and don't worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter