Play Disney Parks - Does everyone need a separate account?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
we are trying to set up the Play Disney Parks app so we can play The Fab 50 Challenge when we enter the parks for our first day tomorrow (all of us have MB+) I definitely think I'm doing something wrong. I manage everyone's plans on the MDE app (myself, DH, DD8 and DD6) all 3 of the others are on my friends and family list and say "plans managed by me" under their name and character icon. DH and DD8 both have MDE installed on their phones but logged in with MY account info so it says "Hello, *my name* on their app main page as well. I suspect this is where the error is but I have no idea how to fix this and give them their own accounts without accidentally unlinking them and messing up our dining and park reservations. Can anyone explain like I'm 5 what you're supposed to do?

also DD6 does not have a phone does that mean she can't play?

I don't have an answer but I was actually going to mess around with this today because I put the play app on my 11 year old's phone and want to make sure she can play the games, especially in Galaxy's Edge. I haven't set up an MDE account for her yet so I was thinking I would be able to set her up her own account and keep it separate from the one I manage but forgot the magic band would be linked to the one I manage and that would have to be linked in the app to play the games.

I'm sure there must be an easier way.

Just noticed this is almost a week old and you are there now. Did you figure out a solution?

Last edited:
Ok -- I don't know what OP did -- but this is what i ended up doing...
Situation: Currently all the kids (3DS, 16, 13, 8) have plans managed by me. DH has his own Disney account but doesn't use it (i control it). The kids have new MB+. Older two have their own phones, youngest will use mine.

For DS16 and DS13 -- on their phones -- I downloaded the Play app and MDE.
1. I logged on to MDE on their phone with my account. This probably could have been done on my own phone, but I wanted to make sure their MB+ was paired on their phone (I really dont know if this is necessary).
2. From the threeline hamburger on the bottom right, chose MagicBands and more. Since their profiles were all managed by me -- i could see them. Paired the respective DS MB+ to their profile. I had to do the weird tilting thing to get it to pair.
3. Updated their MB+.
4. Went to Play Disney app -- I had to create a new account -- I thought because they are still minors -- there would be a way to still have it managed by me, but no. You have to enter their birthdate (this became important for the DS8 who is too young to have a truly separate account), and then setup a disney account (email and password. I did this and picked something I would remember and not rely on the kids).
5. Then in the play disney app, picked one the games that requires a MB+ -- and clicked pair (doing this from memory so exact wording is probably something different) -- this then pushes you back to the MDE. I log off of my account in their MDE, log in as their new account.
6. Once I'm in their new MDE account, again, go to the three line hamburger on the far right, but scroll down till you get to "My Profile"
7. Under "My Profile", scroll down to "Show my linking code"
8. Then - back on my own phone with my own MDE account logged in, I go and selected "Family and Friends List" -- where I see DS16/13. They should have a greyish QR code type icon -- select that and scan their linking code into your account.
9. It will ask if you want to Merge -- check the info and hit yes.
10. From here -- they should have their Play Disney app linked to their magic bands (instead of saying link MB+ it will just say "Start Quest" or something for those games.
11. I recall I either had to go back on DS MDE or email account to accept the link so we could plan together. I also had to the do the same between the kids accounts so they could see each other (otherwise, I could see everyone, and they could only see me and DH in their profile).

I'm sure there were step I did that were redundant, but it seems like it worked.
For DS8, who was going to use my phone for the Play app -- Steps 1-3 is the same but on my phone.
Step 4 - create a new account -- but when I enter his birthday -- it defaults to asking for a Parent email and that's he's too young for his own.
Step 5 - check your disney email -- approve the request to create an account.
Step 6 - a little hazy on this -- I think I went back to the Play Disney -- and either went to a game that needed MB+ or to his profile and it *I think* prompted the QR code??? (it also gives a alphanumeric equivalent incase you're using the same phone)
Step 7 - on MDE (with myself logged in) go to Friends an Family - his name had the same greyish QR code symbol and enter the code in. It should now be linked and say "Linked Disney account Play" in grey.

i wanted him to also be visible to his brothers so I had to request a link from each of his brothers phones to him but since he's underage he can't "accept" through the email that gets sent to my acct (as the parent) -- bt somehow it still manages to link to him (probably because they are linked to me).

What I haven't checked yet is if DH can still see the kids on his phone's MDE (logged with his account). But he won't be the one getting the Virtual Queues or LL's.

Overall -- I think I have it linked correct but man, it took awhile to get the right configuration. At one point, I tried to do DS8 on DS13's phone and that was a mistake because it wouldn't let me take back the Birthday. I had to uninstall and reinstall the app. I'm glad I did all this in advance of the trip or I would have wasted time while in Batuu trying to link the darn things and gotten frustrated. It was also frustrating how long these things take to charge. So -- charge it, do the linking in advance. They better like this bounty hunter game and Ducktales after all this...

Good luck for anyone else trying to figure this out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter