• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning a trip with a 5 and 1-1/2 year old - help!

ZerasPride

DVC Member Since 2001
Hi all. I don't normally frequent this board because my only son is 16 but I am planning a trip with my sister and two darling nieces and I need help. The girls are 5 and 1-1/2 and we'll be at OKW for 5 hot days in August. I already know we'll have the weather working against us (rain showers in the afternoon?). I plan on spending two days at MK and not including the day we arrive and the day we leave, we've got one more day in between. I think we should do Epcot. I think my sister would enjoy the pavilions and it's my favorite park. I have a few questions that I am hoping you experts can answer:

1) Are there strollers for rent at Downtown Disney? I've read conflicting reports.

2) Is is really a hassle to rent a stroller at each park?

3) Does a touring strategy of getting to the parks in the early morning, taking a break in the afternoon and then possibly returning to the parks in the evening sound reasonable for kiddos of this age?

4) I was thinking about several character meals including Chef Mickey's, CRT (hopefully), Pooh and Friends at the Crystal Palace and my personal favorite the Princess Storybook breakfast. Is it true that kids under 3 eat for free at buffets? Am I missing any good character meals or am I planning for too many?

5) I've read about ordering tee shirts and GOH badges. I've got my own trusty GOH badge and I was thinking about ordering them and tee shirts for the girls. Do you think that is a bit "over the top" for their ages?

I want this trip to be as close to perfect as possible. I promised my niece when she turned 5 I'd take her to Mickey's house and I want to make sure she has a wonderful time. If anyone would like to share general tips for touring (especially in the heat) with young kids, I would really appreciate it. I almost feel like this will be my first trip, I feel so inexperienced! Thanks a bunch again!

my 5 year old dd has a GOH badge, and she loves it - she gets loads of extra attention, and always get's called by her name - I think they are great. The 1 1/2 yr old is just going to go with the flow, but I wouldn't leave her out either/

My dd loves MK and Epcot, they are her 2 favorite parks, although we also have a good time at the others, they are definitely the favorites.

Could you squeeze in a morning or afternoon at Blizzard Beach? She really enjoys the Tykes Peak area there, and even within Tykes Peak there is a mini area for toddlers that the 1 1/2 year old will enjoy.

There are no strollers at DD.

I haven't rented a stroller before, but certainly the baby will need a stroller out of the parks so you need to take one with you. For the older child, I would just see how she does, or check with mom to see what she thinks. We took a stroller at 4 1/2 and used it a fair bit, but it got drenched one day at Epcot and was basically unusable and my dd walked the rest of the day without complaining (which surprised me), I don't think we will take one for her again, but we will rent one if she seems to need it.

if the parks are open late, then that's a great strategy, if not, then I would just plan a lazy lunch and hope for some quiet time in the stroller for the baby, and leave earlyish. We have had some of our best times in MK when we didn't arrive until 6 and then stayed until 10 - the park is cooler, and the lines are shorter, so it's just less stressful (assuming the kids are ok at night, my dd is a night owl like me)

Kids do eat free at buffets (under 3s), they can also share your al a carte meal at any restaurant (kids of all ages). My dd usually shares a meal with us, as she doesn't eat much of a kids meal.
She really enjoyed character meals, and it's a great way to get the photos and autographs without queuing, so I would say do as many as you can afford (time wise and money wise). Pooh and Crystal Palace was probably her favorite, as she knows those characters the best. She also really liked Animal Kingdom's Breakfastosaurus, and she loves the Pocohontas show there, so we sometimes go there for breakfast, see Pocohontas, and then move on to another park.

Have a great trip

Bev

Hi Lisa!

Glad you stopped in...you sound like a terrific Auntie! :)

1. and 2. If at all possible I'd bring a stroller with you.Like you said it's going to be hot and little ones wear out (along with us big kids too!) You'll probably be happy you have it just at OKW going from the bus stop to your rooms.You'll also need it at DTD/MKTPL as there is no stroller rental here.

3.This sounds like a great plan.Y'all will need that break in the afternoon and the parks will be opened later at this time of year.

4.Chef Mickey's is our favorite!Yes kids under 3 eat free.I really didn't start ordering Erich a meal until he was 5 or so,it was a waste.I never had any problems at ANY of the restaurants (except the buffets over 3 has to pay) feeding him some from my plate.

5.I think this is a wonderful idea!The CM's will more than likely call them by there name and make the kids feel all the more special!

I usually go to WDW the beginning of MAY and end of OCT. So when I went the middle of July last year for the first time I was so worried I'd fry and get soaked but the weather turned out not to be that bad.Pool time at night is awesome!!! LOL!

Come back and see us here at the FB! :)

I appreciate the warm welcome and the advice too. I've been trying to gently coax my sister into the idea of taking a stroller (even an inexpensive umbrella type) but she does not like the idea at all. She even told me this morning that I am overplanning this trip (as if!). I explained to her that she will be so glad she listened to me when she sees how well things go when we are down in Florida. She just doesn't understand. You need the proper frame of reference to understand how overwhelming planning for a Disney trip can be. She actually thought we'd just be able to walk up to the podium at a princess meal and wait for a table. I tried not to laugh.

Anyway, I do value all your advice and will continue to try to tell her about the importance of taking that stroller. I know the OKW bus stop is a long hike from the entrance to the MK and the OKW bus stop at Epcot is not much closer. I know a very tired mother who will be carrying a 1-1/2 year old to the bus stops if she doesn't change her mind about the stroller. ;)

Any more advice, guys? Keep it coming - I have a feeling I'll need it!

Welcome to the Stroller Board!! :)

We went this year when DS was 24 months & again at 30 months. Both times he often slept in his stroller, so I was glad we brought it! If he was tired & cranky & didn't have a place to rest in comfort (ie NOT the rental strollers) I don't know what we would have done!! It would have been a pain to leave the park because of that. It was so much easier to just roll him around or go eat lunch while he napped.

Basically, I can't imagine going to WDW without my own stroller with a child so young.

There are several lightweight strollers with baskets & canopies that are great to have. I like the graco kite literider (about $40). kite literider at walmart

I'm sure your sister will appreciate all of your effort once she sees how crazy it can be at WDW! Have a great trip. :)

You DEFINITELY need a stroller for the 1 1/2 year old - just renting them in the parks is not a decent option, it can be a long wait for a bus, or a long walk to the car, and carrying the baby plus all their junk is just not a good plan.

Plus, the WDW strollers are pretty horrible, show her the picture
mk_stro1.jpg

and she may well change her mind.

That coupled with the price of renting means at the very least I would buy a cheapie from Walmart, although personally we like to take a decent one because a comfy baby is a happy baby and that makes for a more enjoyable trip.

There is more stroller info here
Stroller FAQ

I would also like to emphisize the importance of the stroller!!!!!!!

I even took my own last year when DS was five. If not for the parks at WDW then for the ease of things at the AIRPORT!!! First of all it is a good seat for the baby while you do all the waiting around and also a great spot to stash all of the "stuff". Diaper bags etc. EVen when the child is not in it--you can keep eveything together. It is also a lot safer to have your young child seated safely in front of you riding in the stroller through the airport!! You can take the stroller right up to the door where you get on the plane and gate check it. Then when you get off the plane--its waiting for you to RE-LOAD. I would like to keep bringing the stroller forever!! Its a "cart" on wheels!!!

Thanks again for the comments guys. I don't know if my sister will agree to bring the stroller but I am definitely going to show her that picture. It doesn't look very comfortable to me at all! Maybe I'll print out this thread and show it to her. I can't wait for our trip in August. I am busting at the seams wanting to tell my 5 year old niece but so far so good!

Hi.

We went last year at this time with a 5 year old and a 9 month old. A stroller was obviously needed for the baby so we brought ours. We are going back next week and will be bringing a stroller again for the now 1 year 9 month old. They are pretty necessary for DTD, BW, etc.

But if you don't bring one, renting one is painless and although they may not look comfortable, they are comfortable (according to my daughter). They are very stable and easy to move around. If you do rent one, you get a receipt. If you go to another park later in the day you can show your receipt and you don't have to pay again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter