Pic transfer on property? HELP

2diamonds&a~gem

Mouseketeer
I have 2 SD cards that will hold about 100- 125 pic's each, I am planning on bringing my moms SD card too, so I will have 300-375 pic's. But this will not be enough. I take 10 or so pics a day on a regular basis here at home and I just know that I will need to transfer the pics somehow so I can take more. (Bit of a picture hound) I do not want to buy another larger card for the trip. I was hoping to find a Do It yourself ATM like thingy (think like what they have at walgreens & walmart) so I can get the pics transfered to a CD. I have been four times in the past 3 years, but I have never needed one before so I cant seem to place it, KWIM? We always had a car before so I used the one @ Walgreens, but we arent getting a car this time. And sadly we will not have our new laptop until after we get back. Please help!

TIA!

You can have your pictures transferred to a CD at the photo store near the entrance of each park.

If I remember, Walgreen's is only about $4 per CD. Disney World is -- I know you'll find this hard to believe -- a lot pricier. Three times as much. You'll have to cough up about $13, I believe (including tax).

The only downside to the self serve kiosks at the camera shop in MK is the slooooow speed of transfer. I have a fast memory card and transferring 240 pix took about 40 minutes, so be sure to plan for this delay.

Each camera shop in the 4 theme parks will transfer your pics to CD for you. Cost is $12.99 per CD, limit 120 pics per CD. Wait times vary from a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on how busy they are.

The camera shops in Magic Kingdom and MGM also have self-service kiosks for transfering pics to CD, for the same price.

Since I bought a digital camera, I have been averaging about 90-100 pics per day at WDW. But I take my laptop with me to download every day; if you won't have a laptop, I'd recommend downloading your pics to CD every 2 days at the most, or every day if you are a heavy shooter.

I generally don't like to have more than 100 pics on my memory cards at any given time, just in case I lose the card, the camera gets stolen, or I decide to drop it into the World Showcase Lagoon for no particular reason during Illuminations.

:sad2: Thanks so much for you help, funny how you dont know it's there, but have walked by it sooo many times. :confused3 After such debate, I will instead take my 2 cards and just plan to get the photopass CD before we leave... I figure then I can be in the pictures too with the characters & just in general shots in the parks & I can save my camera for the millions of soo super cute things my 2.5 yo DD will do. And I will save the $12.99 (now really Disney... it doesnt cost you that much to provide this option :sad2: ) and put that $$$ towards the photopass! YEA! :cloud9:

:wave2: Hi all! I did not know that you could have your pictures transferred to a cd in the park. But can you tell me do you drop the memory card off and they do it for you or do you have to do the transfer yourself. Thank You :cool1:

tinkerbell716 said:
:wave2: Hi all! I did not know that you could have your pictures transferred to a cd in the park. But can you tell me do you drop the memory card off and they do it for you or do you have to do the transfer yourself. Thank You :cool1:

Sorta both.

All 4 parks have a drop off service (if they are not busy you can get it done while you wait, otherwise you come back later).

MK and MGM also have self-service kiosks in their camera shops where you can do it yourself.

Any reason why you don't want to buy another memory card?

512meg SD cards can be had in retail stores right now for ~$50 and less. And of course getting one on the internet is ususally quite a bit cheaper yet. I just picked up a 1gig card for $65 shipped on ebay.

LordAthens said:
Any reason why you don't want to buy another memory card?

512meg SD cards can be had in retail stores right now for ~$50 and less. And of course getting one on the internet is ususally quite a bit cheaper yet. I just picked up a 1gig card for $65 shipped on ebay.

"Just buy more memory" is not the answer for everybody.

Memory cards are a volitile storage medium, and so should be considered temporary storage only. After all, most people transfer their digital pics to CD or DVD once they get home anyway, so transfering to CDs while you're at WDW seems a perfectly logical option for those without a laptop or other storage device. Buying more cards means keeping more pics on the volitile media until you get home, and personally, I prefer not to do that.

If you don't have a laptop but don't feel like sheling out the outrageous $12 per 120 images that WDW charges, another option is to buy a portable CD burner (like this one from Alera). Prices on these devices range from $160 and up (the cost of a few memory cards), but they provide cheap and virtually limitless storage on CD-R discs, which go for around $0.25 each in bulk packs (I got a spindle of 100 last week for $17).

And of course, if you have a car, you can always go off-site to any of the local Walgreens photo centers and have your pics downloaded to CD for only $3.99 per CD, with no 120 pic limit (you can fill the CD all the way up).

While I partially agree with you Will, I wouldn't consider CD the best storage medium either. There really isn't a perfect storage medium yet.

I actually prefer flash memory to CD when on trips for one reason. I've never lost an image on a memory card. I did however return from one trip to find a busted CD in my bag. Certainly isn't white-glove service on the tarmac... (Not to be confused with Tamrac ;) ) My CF cards go through the airport with me in a little CF card "vault", on the plane and then home.

Just a differing opinion :)

After reading all of this info on this post I am VERY glad that I am taking my laptop AND that I have 4 512 cards. I too take many shots. Learned to take 2-3 shots of the same thing. I would rather over shoot then under shoot now that I haved digital.
Thanks!

LordAthens said:
While I partially agree with you Will, I wouldn't consider CD the best storage medium either. There really isn't a perfect storage medium yet.

I actually prefer flash memory to CD when on trips for one reason. I've never lost an image on a memory card. I did however return from one trip to find a busted CD in my bag. Certainly isn't white-glove service on the tarmac... (Not to be confused with Tamrac ;) ) My CF cards go through the airport with me in a little CF card "vault", on the plane and then home.

Just a differing opinion :)

My CF cards also go on the plane with me, along with my camera, my laptop, and any CDs or DVDs I might have.

It takes quite a blow to break or crack a CD. You must have packed it in an outer pocket of your luggage for it to be cracked even by the baggage handlers' rough treatment.

Scratches are a far more common enemy of CDs and DVD, which is why I prefer jewel cases at home instead of paper sleeves or some flipable index that the discs slide into. Sliding can equal scratches. When I'm traveling, of course, CD jewel cases would take up far too much room in my laptop bag, so I use Ziploc bag to hold a small stack of blank CD-Rs and slide it into an inner pocket of my laptop bag.

Molly, I'm also a recent digital convert, and even after 2 years I am still shooting a lot like I did with film - I rarely review individual shots. Mostly I look at groups of pics after the fact, such as when I'm having lunch or taking a water break, and sometimes in attraction lines. I take a lot more shots, but I still don't take several shots of exactly the same thing.

WillCAD said:
When I'm traveling, of course, CD jewel cases would take up far too much room in my laptop bag, so I use Ziploc bag to hold a small stack of blank CD-Rs and slide it into an inner pocket of my laptop bag.

Molly, I'm also a recent digital convert, and even after 2 years I am still shooting a lot like I did with film - I rarely review individual shots. Mostly I look at groups of pics after the fact, such as when I'm having lunch or taking a water break, and sometimes in attraction lines. I take a lot more shots, but I still don't take several shots of exactly the same thing.

When DH and I went to NC last summer we took blank CD's as well. But one of the things I did - to prevent the broken disc thing - I bought the smalled packages of blank cd/dvds that I could find. The plastic spool that they come in was great. I took the disc out - burned it - and put it right back in. It was in a good case and prtected. I think the one I got held like 25 dics and they were all together. I did of course take a marker and mark my dics as well!

Will - thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one out there that is obsesive in taking more then one shot of the same thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter