Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

_DSC0457-X3.jpg

Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon by Adam Brown, on Flickr

I'll be here much more in the future..... started the transition from my Nikon D750 to Sony A7r3....
Have the 70-200/4 (this pic taken with it), I have the 85/1.8 coming.... have the 24-105/4 pre-ordered.
When more of my Nikon gear sells... may do the 12-24/4 and the 55/1.8..... (in the long term.. 1-2+ years... also would consider the 35/2.8, the 90mm macro)

Still getting good use out of the Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8.

_DSC5377-X3.jpg

_DSC5376-X3.jpg

If Sony ever introduces a new adapter that supports screw drive, you're really set... I'll be jealous and want my lens back!
How well does it pixel peep at 42mp? I have to imagine that at 42mp.... the lens must finally be showing it's 35-year-old age!
If not... Sony really really should clone that lens for use on FE mount.

On the APS-C front, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the Sigma 16mm F1.4 Contemporary for my A6300 - I've been longing for a standard wide fast prime...usually options begin at 30mm, which is 45mm with the crop factor - I've wanted something in the 20-30mm equivalent range, and this falls neatly in the middle. Disney dark rides should be fun with the wider perspective, and should be a good walkaround night prime too. Supposed to start shipping Nov 22, and I'm headed up to Disney Dec 6...so *should* have it by then!

I've got a couple Sony lenses on order... paid with paypal credit so I get 6 months to actually pay for them.

Nothing worth sharing yet— but I tried out the 85/1.8 on the A6300.
When combined with eye-AF... wow...
going to totally change my portrait workflow. Perfect focus on the eye, ultra sharp even at 1.8, in every image as long as my shutter speed was fast enough. (IBIS on a7riii should help)

Nothing worth sharing yet— but I tried out the 85/1.8 on the A6300.
When combined with eye-AF... wow...
going to totally change my portrait workflow. Perfect focus on the eye, ultra sharp even at 1.8, in every image as long as my shutter speed was fast enough. (IBIS on a7riii should help)

Did the A7r3 arrive?

If anyone is interested in the Sony A7riii (brand new, USA version, etc), for about 5-10% off, privately message me. (You all know I've been around here long enough, that I'm not scamming anyone).

ISO 6400 looks really good. Any higher than that on any camera and I convert to B&W.

ISO 6400 looks really good. Any higher than that on any camera and I convert to B&W.

I wouldn't be using that ISO 32000 or higher, except *maybe* on a Disney dark ride.

On my D750 -- ISO 3200 was my top for top quality... ISO 6400 was plenty good enough for most of my shooting, and I could live with ISO 12800 if I really needed it.
While I'd still keep ISO lower when possible, I have no hesitation using ISO 6400.... and for casual and family photographs, I think I'm even ok with ISO 16000 on this camera.
At medium and high ISO, DXO gives the A7riii about a 1-stop dynamic range advantage over the D750, and a tiny advantage in noise and color. All really combine in terms of high ISO IQ -- looking at the images above, more than noise, in the ISO 16000 image, you are seeing poorer colors and dynamic range. so putting together the pieces, I feel like I got another 1/3rd to 1/2 stop improvement compared to the D750, which is really darn impressive at this level. (I was really expecting more of a break-even).

On the 24-105 lens, the hybrid OIS/IBIS works incredibly well..... which will also bring down my ISO in a lot of situations.

I wouldn't be using that ISO 32000 or higher, except *maybe* on a Disney dark ride.

On my D750 -- ISO 3200 was my top for top quality... ISO 6400 was plenty good enough for most of my shooting, and I could live with ISO 12800 if I really needed it.
While I'd still keep ISO lower when possible, I have no hesitation using ISO 6400.... and for casual and family photographs, I think I'm even ok with ISO 16000 on this camera.
At medium and high ISO, DXO gives the A7riii about a 1-stop dynamic range advantage over the D750, and a tiny advantage in noise and color. All really combine in terms of high ISO IQ -- looking at the images above, more than noise, in the ISO 16000 image, you are seeing poorer colors and dynamic range. so putting together the pieces, I feel like I got another 1/3rd to 1/2 stop improvement compared to the D750, which is really darn impressive at this level. (I was really expecting more of a break-even).

On the 24-105 lens, the hybrid OIS/IBIS works incredibly well..... which will also bring down my ISO in a lot of situations.

Especially considering you now have 42mp vs. 24mp.

Especially considering you now have 42mp vs. 24mp.

Exactly. I know your mostly a prime shooter -- as am I -- but you should try the 24-105. I could see myself using primes a bit less often.

I took this one this morning... This is just a file transfer to my phone. I still need to put it through lightroom:

Untitled by Adam Brown, on Flickr

(I fear the hightlights were still too clipped but we will see once I get the raw into lighroom)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!