Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

DSC00429-X2.jpg

DSC00673-X2.jpg

So I'm going through photos last night and cleaning my gear and like a bolt of lightning I realize something. I'm using the Minolta 200mm 2.8 on the A7rii with an LA-EA1 adaptor, meaning that the shots I took with it are APS-C cropped. So the swim photos above (except for the diving one which I took with an Olympus Zuiko 100mm 2.8 + full frame adaptor) are not full-frame. I believe I would have been better off shooting them with the NEX-7. Lol.

Also - received the FE 55mm 1.8 yesterday.

Interesting perspective. Unlike some of the recent Sony artisans, he actually is a long-time Sony user, who really understands their systems.

He agrees with what I've been saying about A-mount -- Unfortunately it is dead, and they may just string long time users along with a new body occasionally.
I'm surprised that he opined APS-C e-mount is now video only --- The A6300/6500 are performance-still cameras, as well as video. While Sony's emphasis is definitely full frame, I think they do see APS-C are more than just video.
It does seem tho, that Sony's philosophy now is not to introduce any entry level type cameras --- Just tell low budget buyers the older models at discount. Every new camera seems designed for higher budget customers... When was the last Sony camera that was introduced at a MSRP under $1000?

Interesting perspective. Unlike some of the recent Sony artisans, he actually is a long-time Sony user, who really understands their systems.

He agrees with what I've been saying about A-mount -- Unfortunately it is dead, and they may just string long time users along with a new body occasionally.
I'm surprised that he opined APS-C e-mount is now video only --- The A6300/6500 are performance-still cameras, as well as video. While Sony's emphasis is definitely full frame, I think they do see APS-C are more than just video.
It does seem tho, that Sony's philosophy now is not to introduce any entry level type cameras --- Just tell low budget buyers the older models at discount. Every new camera seems designed for higher budget customers... When was the last Sony camera that was introduced at a MSRP under $1000?

I agree that the A6300/6500 are also great stills cameras. However, it does seems that important buyers of those cameras are videotographers who appreciate the small size and now stabilization. An A6500 with the 10-18 is light enough to use on a small gimbal. Brandon Li uses this combo to produce some stunning short films.

I believe Sony recognizes this and is catering to this market. The latest is opening up the e-mount for other lens makes. In fact, Fuji just came out with an 18-55 1.8 cine lens for emount exclusively.

Starting to put the FE ZA 55mm 1.8 through it's paces. The rendering reminds me of my Sony ZA 24mm 1.8, which isn't too surprising since they're both Sonnar Zeiss lenes. The 55mm is sharper however and as good as the 24mm bokeh was (especially for a wide angle) it can't match the creamy 55mm.

DSC01744-X2.jpg

DSC01737-X2.jpg

DSC01408-X2.jpg

a few more with the 55mm...

DSC01449-X2.jpg

this was taken in the middle of the day, in the middle of the desert. I was able to keep the sky in check and pull shadows pretty easily in post.

DSC01686-X2.jpg

Starting to put the FE ZA 55mm 1.8 through it's paces. The rendering reminds me of my Sony ZA 24mm 1.8, which isn't too surprising since they're both Sonnar Zeiss lenes. The 55mm is sharper however and as good as the 24mm bokeh was (especially for a wide angle) it can't match the creamy 55mm.

Great pics..... and that's the full frame difference. If you try out a 85/1.4 or 85/1.8.. you'll really be blown away by the background blur.

How is the 10-18 working on the A7rii?

a few more with the 55mm...

this was taken in the middle of the day, in the middle of the desert. I was able to keep the sky in check and pull shadows pretty easily in post.

Those recent Sony sensors (including the one in the D750) are absolutely amazing at pulling from the shadows. Dpreview calls it ISO-invariance -- You can underexpose, and lift shadows in post, without any noise penalty (beyond what you would have gotten by shooting higher ISO in the first place)

Great pics..... and that's the full frame difference. If you try out a 85/1.4 or 85/1.8.. you'll really be blown away by the background blur.

How is the 10-18 working on the A7rii?

It's wide!

I discovered when I attached the lens to the body it automatically went on APS-C mode. I had to switch that off to go back to full-frame mode.

So far the image quality seems very good. On some images the distortion and smearing at the edges look worse than on my NEX-7, but I'm not quite sure if that's in crop or ff mode. I was switching things on the fly.

I have to do some more testing with it. Since the 55mm showed up, the 10-18 has been a bit neglected.

The 55mm btw is a beautiful lens.

On another note - I'm going to remove the plastic baffle on my LA-EA1 adaptor to get to 98% full frame opening. We'll see how that goes.

Carrying of the Epitaphio during Good Friday evening service.

ISO 20,000 with no noise reduction.

DSC02111-X2.jpg

I want the A9.

If it wasn't $5000, I'd be switching brands fully back to Sony right now.

Lol. you beat me too it.

No more compromises with mirrorless and plenty of advantages. Kinda amazing it took until 2017 to say that. Very much overkill for me but what a beast!

Lol. you beat me too it.

No more compromises with mirrorless and plenty of advantages. Kinda amazing it took until 2017 to say that. Very much overkill for me but what a beast!

I'll say very few compromises.. still some. Like the need for the camera to wake up instead of being instantly ready.
But overall.. it seems that the A9 blows past the capabilities of traditional dSLRs.

I wonder how much it would cost to rent the A9 with lenses for 2 weeks for my summer vacation...
Only full frame native lens I own is the 70-200/4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter