Peru: trip report 7/16

Does anyone remember the age of the youngest child on their Peru trip and how they did?
We had a 5-year-old and a four year old. My son was 9 at the time. Both the little ones were rockstars! The four year old even did the hike to moon gate. He made it no problem. I thought that under 7 could not do the rafting but both little guys went on the rafting, too.

Great report and fabulous pictures. Peru is climbing up my list as well. May be a 2019 destination for us...

On this trip I took my Nikon Df with a 28-300mm lens. On my Costa Rica trip I took my new Fuji X-T20. I am a professional photographer so I have a little collection of cameras ;)

Another point of advise that I like to throw out there. Since my wife and I are not professional photographers but do like some of the options and lens options from high end cameras. Those cameras and especially the lens can get REALLY expensive to buy. We have been using borrowlens.com to rent different bodies and lens for the last couple of years. This has allowed us to try all sorts of cameras and specific lens for different trips we have taken that might need that zoom or wide angle lens. There are other sites out there that rent cameras but we have had awesome success with Borrow Lens.

Another point of advise that I like to throw out there. Since my wife and I are not professional photographers but do like some of the options and lens options from high end cameras. Those cameras and especially the lens can get REALLY expensive to buy. We have been using borrowlens to rent different bodies and lens for the last couple of years. This has allowed us to try all sorts of cameras and specific lens for different trips we have taken that might need that zoom or wide angle lens. There are other sites out there that rent cameras but we have had awesome success with Borrow Lens.

Yes! When we went to South Africa (not through ABD) I rented a lens from lensprotogo for the trip, so I wouldn't have a buy a mega-zoom just for that trip. And I've heard great things about borrowlens (interestingly they are owned by shutterfly). The new fuji X-T20 body that I mentioned is a compact mirrorless, and actually very reasonably priced to buy (under $900), but renting the zoom lens for it (I used the 100-400mm) might be a good idea. When using the online rental places you have a plan a little in advance to reserve it and have time to have it shipped. I ended up buying my Fuji 100-400mm lens locally rather than renting because I just ran out of time before my most recent trip. But now at least I will have it for my next couple of trips :)

Excellent trip report! Two questions for those who have done this trip. 1) I am very afraid of heights (can't do Astro Orbiter, Soarin' or even Barnstormer!). Does that make me unsuitable for Peru? 2) Is vegetarian food available? My daughter is vegan but will eat vegetarian when necessary.

Excellent trip report! Two questions for those who have done this trip. 1) I am very afraid of heights (can't do Astro Orbiter, Soarin' or even Barnstormer!). Does that make me unsuitable for Peru? 2) Is vegetarian food available? My daughter is vegan but will eat vegetarian when necessary.

The fear of heights might be an issue at some of the sites, like where you have to walk along a rather narrow edge at the salt pans, but most of the others are pretty nicely terraced as not to seem to steep. I'm not sure how it would translate at Machu Picchu--the bus ride might be tough, but after you are up there it's not too bad.
Re: food, I think Disney is good about providing vegetarian options on trips.

Just make sure you let ABD know ahead of time to note it on your reservation, and talk to your Adventure Guides when you meet them the first day.

Sayhello

The fear of heights might be an issue at some of the sites, like where you have to walk along a rather narrow edge at the salt pans, but most of the others are pretty nicely terraced as not to seem to steep. I'm not sure how it would translate at Machu Picchu--the bus ride might be tough, but after you are up there it's not too bad.

Just make sure you let ABD know ahead of time to note it on your reservation, and talk to your Adventure Guides when you meet them the first day.

Thanks both!

Thanks for the trip report! Your photos are absolutely sensational. You've definitely earned your Photogal title. My husband and I have signed up for the early July 2018 Peru trip and will add a 4 day Galapagos trip to the end. :thanks:

Thanks again for the great review! We booked Peru for Christmas 2018 with the whole family. It will be the first ABD for my 2 youngest - ages 5 & 9.
You will love it at Christmas! Such a great trip. Let me know if you have questions. Finally, I've been on one before you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!