Peru: trip report 7/16

You are quite the overachiever! Loving this...We loved Seminario. We got the most amazing lamp there. We also flew Avianca! It was crazy cheap and pretty nice!

This trip is very high on my list.

Can you tell me what kind of camera you have? Your photos are STUNNING!

What month did you travel in? What was the weather like?

OH WOW!! I'm going to join the others saying what amazing photos you take! I'm going to ask also: What kind of camera do you use? I'm looking for a new camera, and would love to know what you used.

You are *really* making me seriously consider this trip for 2018. I'm still scared of the altitude, but it sure looks like it's worth the risk...

Sayhello

This trip is very high on my list.

Can you tell me what kind of camera you have? Your photos are STUNNING!

What month did you travel in? What was the weather like?

On this trip I took my Nikon Df with a 28-300mm lens. On my Costa Rica trip I took my new Fuji X-T20. I am a professional photographer so I have a little collection of cameras ;)

We traveled in July, which is technically winter south of the equator. The weather was pretty good for our trip, mostly jeans and t-shirts with jackets for the mornings and evenings.

Lovely pictures as always! We're considering Peru next year. Do you know if there was an alternate activity if you didn't do the rafting on Day 3?

Lovely pictures as always! We're considering Peru next year. Do you know if there was an alternate activity if you didn't do the rafting on Day 3?

No, there wasn't an alternate activity. The guests who didn't want to go on the river came along and watched from a bridge, and one guest who hadn't been feeling well stayed back at the hotel.

Wow! Peru is moving up my list fast. Thanks for posting another trip report with amazing photos!

There was no alternate activity on our trip and Sol y Luna is pretty remote but you could walk into town and shop at the market or just chill at the hotel. The rafting is SO FUN, though. It was our favorite activity of the trip. The Hike on the Salt Pans was second. You know it's an awesome trip when Maccu Picchu was third!

My wife and I skipped out on the rafting on our trip in 2016. Our guides arranged a car to take us into town where we spend some time just wandering through the market. Our driver waited for us in the town square and when we were ready he took us back the resort. We then had transport provided to met up with the group for lunch that afternoon. When the group did a trip into town the next day to the market and a local artist shop we enjoyed a much needed day of relaxation.

Here is a link to our trip report for more details.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/peru-–-adult-only-20-–-29-sept-2016-trip-report.3549595/

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the age of the youngest child on their Peru trip and how they did?

We had a July trip and there were a lot of kids. We had everything from college-aged kids traveling as adults with their parents, to older teens, and then a lot of preteens/younger teens like my girls who were 11 and 12 at the time. The youngest in our group was a little sister with two older siblings, and I don't recall her exact age, but she was maybe 8 or 9? She was the one who struggled most with altitude and had some problems keeping up throughout the trip. Not sure if that was due to age, though, or the altitude. We had a 6-year-old boy on our trip to Costa Rica last week, and surprisingly he did everything including the rafting and zip line.

We had a July trip and there were a lot of kids. We had everything from college-aged kids traveling as adults with their parents, to older teens, and then a lot of preteens/younger teens like my girls who were 11 and 12 at the time. The youngest in our group was a little sister with two older siblings, and I don't recall her exact age, but she was maybe 8 or 9? She was the one who struggled most with altitude and had some problems keeping up throughout the trip. Not sure if that was due to age, though, or the altitude. We had a 6-year-old boy on our trip to Costa Rica last week, and surprisingly he did everything including the rafting and zip line.

That's very helpful. Thanks!

On this trip I took my Nikon Df with a 28-300mm lens. On my Costa Rica trip I took my new Fuji X-T20. I am a professional photographer so I have a little collection of cameras ;)

We traveled in July, which is technically winter south of the equator. The weather was pretty good for our trip, mostly jeans and t-shirts with jackets for the mornings and evenings.

Thank you! My son would love the cooler weather (he doesn't do well in the blistering summer heat).

I think I may take him next July while my daughter is at camp. I have wanted to visit Machu Picchu for quite some time.

Now we have to decide -- ABD with what I'm sure will be an amazing group of fellow travelers, or A&K (not the family trip -- which stays at the Inkaterra MP, the regular adult one), which stays at the Belmond Sanctuary right at MP (essentially having the ruins to ourselves and the other hotel guests for a while before the buses start arriving). That is going to be a tough choice. I really like both itineraries and the cost is similar.

Now we have to decide -- ABD with what I'm sure will be an amazing group of fellow travelers, or A&K (not the family trip -- which stays at the Inkaterra MP, the regular adult one), which stays at the Belmond Sanctuary right at MP (essentially having the ruins to ourselves and the other hotel guests for a while before the buses start arriving). That is going to be a tough choice. I really like both itineraries and the cost is similar.

ABD has lunch at the Sanctuary hotel and since many of the tourists leave for lunch, you do get a little more private view in the afternoon. But staying up on the mountain does sound wonderful! I believe our guides told us why Disney chose not to stay up there but I don't recall the reason (perhaps having to switch hotels/pack luggage one additional time?). The Sol y Luna was a great hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter