Permit Filed: "Project S" at Epcot

Mainly because a lot of these companies don't have a pot to pee in and recognize that even an optimistic 15mm random people a year through EPCOT seeing their "showcase" is a heck of a lot less than they can reach for less money than a sponsorship by doing a TV ad. Oculus is owned by Facebook. Facebook does not need to advertise at Disney. Now if Disney were to pay for Oculus tech to work in one of their rides, you might have some kind of symbiotic partnership. But they don't need to advertise that way. All the other VR companies are essentially start ups, and they don't waste what capital they have to raise in private equity issuance by blowing it on a small advertising campaign.

Uber runs massively in the red. Google and Apple have no need to pay to have products in EPCOT. GM is doggedly hanging on as a sponsor but demands more advertising in every Test Track iteration. Nest is owned by Google, the others are start ups. See above. IBM needs Disney like they need a hole in the head. They have no consumer products any more. They are almost completely geared toward corporate needs, and corporations don't visit EPCOT. Cloud Tech is dominated by Amazon, Google and Apple. Again, see above. They have no need to run a small advertising campaign costing them big bucks to have a sponsorship in EPCOT.

The model makes no sense. Disney has to pay for their own attractions. A 30 second Superbowl ad cost $5MM this year to air. A million or so to make it and you reach over 100,000,000 people. A sponsorship at EPCOT? GM paid about 10MM a year for their previous sponsorship contract that ran out in 2009. Not sure what they pay now, but it isn't worth it. Heck if you get rid of AP people who come through more than once a year? Less than 10,000,000 people, who are not at all focused on you the way they are on voting for the best SB commercial. Pick up a VR helmet, play for a few minutes, put it down and go on Soarin. Which one do they remember at the end of the day?

Well, when you put it that way......

That's kind of what I meant when I said, can't the $100/ticket holder be treated as a sponsor?

Does that really not hold up a wing of exhibits in conjunction with other rides?

I mean, the last Museum I was in had an actual U-boat inside it. With interactive exhibits to go along with it.

No rides, but I paid $18 to get in there.......

I agree. That's why I said Disney has to pay for their own attractions. They have the resources, they just clung to that sponsorship model with a hope and a prayer because they didn't want to use the resources. It seems like things are changing now. Unfortunately that means more GotG and less edutainment in EPCOT apparently.

This is crazy to me how Disney can't seem to (or doesn't want to) get sponsorships for pavilions anymore. Innoventions to me is particularly bothersome. Look at the original intention of it, showcasing technology and its practical applications. Now look at where we are in this point in time and tell me that there aren't companies out there that would love to showcase their tech in a venue like Disney (and families that wouldn't like to see it). To name a few:
- VR tech (Oculus, Vive, etc)
- Self-driving cars (Uber, Google, Apple, automakers)
- Home Automation/Smart Home (Nest, Blink, etc)
- AI (IBM Watson and others)
- Cloud technologies

IMHO we are in an unprecedented time for technological advances, and more importantly the accessibility of these advances by consumers. Why isn't Disney taking advantage of this?
Disney should show ambition and at least offer to go halvsies on exhibits. I'm sure companies are hesitant to offer up a full investment, but they're not the ones who have an abandoned pavilion in the middle of their second oldest theme park on property either. Disney doesn't exactly have a ton of leverage

Sorry but going to have to disagree with some of your points. Google, Microsoft, Apple, et al have plenty of money to throw into advertising. If they aren't interested in Disney its either because Disney's prices are out of whack or Disney isn't interested in courting sponsors (or both.) Sure it's only 10 million visitors per year, but mostly folks with disposable income who are the prime consumers of these companies' products.

Sample size one, but for me personally and my family, I would love to walk through Innoventions and put hands on the tech these companies want to put in my home. Sure, they could advertise during the Superbowl, but target audience, the ability to be hands-on, and lastly the rep boost that being at Disney (could) be isn't there on TV. And it isn't like TV advertising wasn't around in the early days of Epcot, when the sponsors were there.

Look at Microsoft and Apple. They both still have a big presence in brick and mortar. While one could argue that malls are by and large dying, you wouldn't know by walking by the Apple Store. Trade shows (E3, CES) draw huge crowds wanting to see and touch new tech in person. Again i gotta say, if Disney's not drawing interest it's cause they're not trying.

But maybe they're not, cause it's much easier to just put up an Inside Out meet and greet and keep drawing them in. Doesn't make it "innovative" though...

Mainly because a lot of these companies don't have a pot to pee in and recognize that even an optimistic 15mm random people a year through EPCOT seeing their "showcase" is a heck of a lot less than they can reach for less money than a sponsorship by doing a TV ad. Oculus is owned by Facebook. Facebook does not need to advertise at Disney. Now if Disney were to pay for Oculus tech to work in one of their rides, you might have some kind of symbiotic partnership. But they don't need to advertise that way. All the other VR companies are essentially start ups, and they don't waste what capital they have to raise in private equity issuance by blowing it on a small advertising campaign.

Uber runs massively in the red. Google and Apple have no need to pay to have products in EPCOT. GM is doggedly hanging on as a sponsor but demands more advertising in every Test Track iteration. Nest is owned by Google, the others are start ups. See above. IBM needs Disney like they need a hole in the head. They have no consumer products any more. They are almost completely geared toward corporate needs, and corporations don't visit EPCOT. Cloud Tech is dominated by Amazon, Google and Apple. Again, see above. They have no need to run a small advertising campaign costing them big bucks to have a sponsorship in EPCOT.

The model makes no sense. Disney has to pay for their own attractions. A 30 second Superbowl ad cost $5MM this year to air. A million or so to make it and you reach over 100,000,000 people. A sponsorship at EPCOT? GM paid about 10MM a year for their previous sponsorship contract that ran out in 2009. Not sure what they pay now, but it isn't worth it. Heck if you get rid of AP people who come through more than once a year? Less than 10,000,000 people, who are not at all focused on you the way they are on voting for the best SB commercial. Pick up a VR helmet, play for a few minutes, put it down and go on Soarin. Which one do they remember at the end of the day?

Excellent...

And you went in depth but I think of it this way:

Comapies are 100% about the quarterly call, the day to day stock price, and the dividend...

Epcot sponsorship does NOTHING for that. It just doesn't.

I have to think that a company like Siemens (we know GM is...) is a bit "old and crotchety" to even pay a sponsorship deal.

Disney should show ambition and at least offer to go halvsies on exhibits. I'm sure companies are hesitant to offer up a full investment, but they're not the ones who have an abandoned pavilion in the middle of their second oldest theme park on property either. Disney doesn't exactly have a ton of leverage

And this is the problem...

All indications are that disney wants TOO MUCH and TOO LONG of a deal with sponsors and they have dried up their own lake of candidates.

They are basing this on a 1979 model that doesn't work and adjusting it for inflation and Bob's golden parachute.

Why not (including countries) offer sponsorship for very little? Get some product and employee investment out of it...it will drive visitors there.

Same with country pavilions...settle for the cheap IP labor and pay your own damn electric bill (there's a power plant in the parking lot behind Epcot...and a solar farm shaped like a hamster for that matter)...

Just silly...just like DAK, tiptoeing around instead of making it a spectacle again. That's how you take longterm.

I would offer GE, APPLE, and Exxon 10 years of sponsorship for $1 and some swag...

The amount of convention space booking alone would make it a profit.

And this is the problem...

All indications are that disney wants TOO MUCH and TOO LONG of a deal with sponsors and they have dried up their own lake of candidates.

They are basing this on a 1979 model that doesn't work and adjusting it for inflation and Bob's golden parachute.

Why not (including countries) offer sponsorship for very little? Get some product and employee investment out of it...it will drive visitors there.

Same with country pavilions...settle for the cheap IP labor and pay your own damn electric bill (there's a power plant in the parking lot behind Epcot...and a solar farm shaped like a hamster for that matter)...

Just silly...just like DAK, tiptoeing around instead of making it a spectacle again. That's how you take longterm.

I would offer GE, APPLE, and Exxon 10 years of sponsorship for $1 and some swag...

The amount of convention space booking alone would make it a profit.

This is my thought too. They could get companies to sponsor with product and maybe even some employees or employee training. I don't see them footing the entire bill any more.

But they could easily fill Innoventions with cool stuff if they were willing to only ask for the stuff as opposed to the stuff plus 5M/yr. But Disney doesn't want to foot their own bill, and they don't want anyone's name mentioned with getting the big bucks for it.

Well now kids, my view on changing EPCOT has changed. I watched this video and thought it to be insightful. If they bring tron to test track (call it "the Grid") if they bring guardians of the galaxy (STILL dont see the appeal) to universe of energy make it good. Inside out characters to "imagination" pavillion (honestly i think this is a good idea). and would somebody get on disneys case of making Wall-E the next PUSH!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Video from Rob Play's on youtube. I dont own any of the video content, I was sharing from the link provided on the youtube website. But seriously follow this guy and watch some videos cause some are pretty insightful and full of "fun facts".

Well now kids, my view on changing EPCOT has changed. I watched this video and thought it to be insightful. If they bring tron to test track (call it "the Grid") if they bring guardians of the galaxy (STILL dont see the appeal) to universe of energy make it good. Inside out characters to "imagination" pavillion (honestly i think this is a good idea). and would somebody get on disneys case of making Wall-E the next PUSH!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Video from Rob Play's on youtube. I dont own any of the video content, I was sharing from the link provided on the youtube website. But seriously follow this guy and watch some videos cause some are pretty insightful and full of "fun facts".

That's funny I shared that same video on the other EPCOT thread. This video gave me hope for EPCOT.

He doesn't address one of my biggest concerns which is the parks becoming more and more alike over time. I don't want to visit three Magic Kingdoms personally. (I exclude AK because it would be so hard to turn it into a clone.) It's nicer to pay the big bucks Disney wants when there is good variety or at least I think so.

They definitely could keep the concepts in place even with IP's but would they bother?

He doesn't address one of my biggest concerns which is the parks becoming more and more alike over time. I don't want to visit three Magic Kingdoms personally. (I exclude AK because it would be so hard to turn it into a clone.) It's nicer to pay the big bucks Disney wants when there is good variety or at least I think so.

They definitely could keep the concepts in place even with IP's but would they bother?
I can see that homogenized concern with Epcot, but the studios id say is fine following it's theme. The studios has always been a place to show off IP (star tours and the Indy stunt show were early editions, and the whole great movie ride is literally random properties showcase) but in a different way than the magic kingdom. I also agree animal kingdom is really a unique place

I think this discussions about characters in Epcot is a question of "how"? How are they incorporating these IPs? Is it to use familiar and beloved faces to promote the same themes or are they trying to shoehorn the pavilions to what is popular. Frozen is the later while I feel something like Mary Poppins or Coco would be the former. I have no problem with characters at Epcot, just so it with a sense of logic and integrity to the original vision of the place.

I saw this video as well and while I don't think it changed my thinking I do think the video does a realyl good job at presented a balanced and fair take on the topic and also like at the end he specifically says "we don't have to like the specific changes that Disney makes"

And I do think that while there are some people who don't want IP at all in EPCOT I think most of us are ok with IP in EPCOT - as long as it makes sense and isn't totally forced ... and that EPCOT retains it's own identity - even if that identity changes we want it to be unique and not MK 2.0

I saw this video as well and while I don't think it changed my thinking I do think the video does a realyl good job at presented a balanced and fair take on the topic and also like at the end he specifically says "we don't have to like the specific changes that Disney makes"

And I do think that while there are some people who don't want IP at all in EPCOT I think most of us are ok with IP in EPCOT - as long as it makes sense and isn't totally forced ... and that EPCOT retains it's own identity - even if that identity changes we want it to be unique and not MK 2.0

Agree, I think that IF Disney is going to make EPCOT more character-esq they need to really watch what content they are putting into that park. Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, the countries (MIGHT) have some leeway because they already have the tres caballeros and donald, as well as the occasional mary poppins, etc etc, but future world needs to play a big catch up when it comes to up holding the EPCOT name. Sure bring innoventions back, but start to talk about solar energy, fusion energy, recycling with wall-e, universe of energy have a much older alex trebek and more bowtie bill nye.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter