Permit Filed: France Pavilion at Epcot

Disney has a 4 to a room policy for the vast majority of their on property rooms. Where they allow more it is often cheaper to get 2 rooms anyway. All their ticket specials are bundled for 4, and that 5th gets expensive. It's almost morbidly funny for people with families larger than 4.
I really don't see how big families do Disney. I think doing it with our one is just perfect. We can move faster, don't need two rooms, etc;

Back on topic, I wasn't a fan of Ratatouille, despite loving France, but it would still be fun to have another attraction.

Back off topic, I am still stunned at the AK half day park people...especially now! We were there a good 8 hours and would have been longer had Kali not broken down and we hadn't had to get back to our hotel for a dinner reservation.

Sorry for coming late to the party, but I already quoted all this crap, so I'm gonna drop it on you. :duck:

But Hercules and Hunchback? Where are they today? Do kids clamor for a meet & greet or their merchandise? Is anyone in their right mind interested in a ride or show at the parks based on those movies? Not even close.

I have to admit, during Wishes, I got misty eyed every freaking time that trumpet belted out "I can go the distance".

I actually think the elsa boats have NOT done as well as they thought they would.

Can you expound on that? I mean, has there ever been a time where it was walk-on from the standby line? Or how do measure success of a ride if it's not that there is always someone getting on every boat that comes up? (I haven't been there in a year, so maybe it's not that way anymore)

Or bite the bullet and put in the austrailia section that near everyone has wanted since day 1...it just makes too much sense.

How about Australia in the WS??????:duck:

I actually think Ratatouille's Paris is spot on in DLP. They can just copy and paste it in Epcot and I'll be as giddy as a schoolgirl.
I was watching a ride video of it (really showing what kind of social life I have right?) and when I was the facade I was like dang plop that into Epcot and it'll blend right in

I actually was thinking that adding Crush to the Living Seas would be great. I can see what you're saying though.

I would be way more excited about Crush's Coaster than Ratatouille. Even though at 10 years old it still seems to break down all the time (it went down while we were in line for it first thing in the morning in May, luckily we got handwritten passes to skip the line later, because it doesn't have fastpass).

I would be way more excited about Crush's Coaster than Ratatouille. Even though at 10 years old it still seems to break down all the time (it went down while we were in line for it first thing in the morning in May, luckily we got handwritten passes to skip the line later, because it doesn't have fastpass).

Crush's coaster is an 895 hourly rider capacity...

...that's about a 3 hour average wait in wdw even if it ISN'T popular. Anything less than 1500 per in this day and age is a tough sell for the Florida behemoth.

As a DLP AP I'm really conflicted about this. I really don't want all the good, unique stuff in Paris (Crush,Ratatouille) to be replicated in other parks. DLP struggles enough, and the last 20 years has taught us that it can't just rely on the local market. taking more reasons away to visit DLP is a bit worrying. I agree WS needs love (we come to FLA every year) but HS in DLP is now the weakest park in the entire property estate, and has been for a while, so giving up the unique rides isn't going to help its cause.

I completely understand where you are coming from. But I think what will set DLP apart from DW in the future is Marvel. I used to cry on my pillow at night about Ratatouille. Now I will just have something else to pout about.

I'll just have to take a few more walks in the rain, so people don't notice. They may think I'm off my rocker though if I'm kicking puddles saying "Friggin French." ... oh no offense if you're French.

Yeah...but there isn't a cross market much between Euro and WDW...

The brits are going where there's a beach no matter what and beyond that wdw has a nice small percentage European contingent...more or less.

Like it or not...disney is gonna clone everything. I'd RATHER it be from Japan...but we're pretty desperate.

I spent years railing on the need for wdw to develop unique rides...notably in complete opposition to carsland being asked for studios...

...but they have really fallen behind under iger in outfitting/updating the parks in Orlando...they've broken me:sad2:

The brits are going where there's a beach no matter what and beyond that wdw has a nice small percentage European contingent...more or less.

Like it or not...disney is gonna clone everything. I'd RATHER it be from Japan...but we're pretty desperate.

I spent years railing on the need for wdw to develop unique rides...notably in complete opposition to carsland being asked for studios...

...but they have really fallen behind under iger in outfitting/updating the parks in Orlando...they've broken me:sad2:

They seem to get the hotel towers up pretty fast though. That's because they can't still make money off of it, like they can the parks. Hollywood is a total mess in the back of the park, but they are still charging the usual price for it. So Disney is actually getting their visitors to foot the bill for the new lands. And then they are charging them again to go to those lands. Genius.

They seem to get the hotel towers up pretty fast though. That's because they can't still make money off of it, like they can the parks. Hollywood is a total mess in the back of the park, but they are still charging the usual price for it. So Disney is actually getting their visitors to foot the bill for the new lands. And then they are charging them again to go to those lands. Genius.

Ain't that the truth...

Amazing how they can pour swamp footers and build a 300 unit dvc tower in about 2 years flat...but a frozen overlay on an existing ride takes the same amount of time, huh?

Finally! As suspected, the World Showcase will get a bit more exciting. They can add a ride to EVERY pavilion and tie it into a Disney IP for all I care. I mean the "immersion" was already broken with Frozen in Norway, so why not now.

The "education" theme of the World Showcase is long game it feels .. and frankly even when I was a kid that was a long, boring walk around the World Showcase. While I appreciate the food now as an adult, I still find it a waste of space in a Theme Park .. (I can find more exotic food choices in Disney Springs).

I am not opposed to IP in EPCOT. I love EPCOT, and love the old school edutainment concept, but the truth of the matter is, that doesn't keep kids attention. DS is 13 now, and willing to spend some time in World Showcase, but when he was younger, it was a hard sell. The only thing that drew him out there was the two rides, and the promise of doing Kim Possible, and later Phineas and Ferb missions.

IP doesn't have to ruin World Showcase. If they keep the facades true to the host countries, I am fine with IP being used. I honestly don't even mind Frozen in Norway. I loved the Maelstrom, but there are a LOT more people getting in line for Frozen Ever After than there were for Maelstrom, even though it is exactly the same ride. The IP drives the popularity.

I am excited for Ratatouille coming to France, I think it can be a fantastic addition, as long as they make the building facade fit in. I hope this is just the beginning of some real investment in EPCOT. I would love to see rides / attractions in more of the World Showcase pavilions. That will go a LONG way towards drawing families with kids into the World Showcase.

If the show the love to Future World that they have already promised, EPCOT will once again be an amazing park.

I completely understand where you are coming from. But I think what will set DLP apart from DW in the future is Marvel. I used to cry on my pillow at night about Ratatouille. Now I will just have something else to pout about.

I'll just have to take a few more walks in the rain, so people don't notice. They may think I'm off my rocker though if I'm kicking puddles saying "Friggin French." ... oh no offense if you're French.
None taken, I'm from London. Hopefully Marvel will be the catalyst for a regen of HS, it sorely needs it.

Crush's coaster is an 895 hourly rider capacity...

...that's about a 3 hour average wait in wdw even if it ISN'T popular. Anything less than 1500 per in this day and age is a tough sell for the Florida behemoth.
Its rarely below 90 minutes in Paris, it loads WAY too slow for Florida.

Alright, back on topic.

I can't friggin wait for Ratatouille. It may sound crazy, but I'm looking forward to it more than Star Wars Land. The ride looks awesome and it's for the whole family. If they bring the restaurant over too, man I'll be dancing in France with no pants. It would go from a boring looking restaurant to a very family friendly one.

I would love it if they brought over the "land" and it's restaurant. It was so cute- like a "little paris". The ride is not awesome (motion sickness- I hate screen rides) but I think today's video game obsessed kiddos would love it.

Do you really think the cross market is so small? I mean, I spend time on a few other travel boards, and I feel like Paris and London are the two most likely European destinations for Americans. Then there's the fact that there has been several posters who are determined to go spend a week at DLP and day trip to Paris once...which seems backward to me, but I suppose if you've got really young kids, it's probably more tempting...

Do you really think the cross market is so small? I mean, I spend time on a few other travel boards, and I feel like Paris and London are the two most likely European destinations for Americans. Then there's the fact that there has been several posters who are determined to go spend a week at DLP and day trip to Paris once...which seems backward to me, but I suppose if you've got really young kids, it's probably more tempting...

Well...I used to work in wdw and studied numbers and demographics...so I'm pretty sure...

...but I don't want to overstate "small"...it's a solid base...at least when there's no recession when it basically dries up.

A nice segment of the business...but not large enough to affect whether they would clone rides from Paris or not. If they have something that fits...they'll pull it without a second thought.

I like DLP...but remember that ratatouille and crush are the first things built there that would be worth exporting to other sites...everything else is a variation on other domestic rides/concepts.

And that is the biggest thing. The author was Danish and the original story was loosely based in Copenhagen and Denmark.

Using IP that have clear story or historical connections to any one of the pavilions is a bit different. I can think of IP for France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, USA, Mexico, China and maybe Japan that would fit. Not entirely sure how I feel about Big Hero Six as a representative of Japan. That leaves Canada, Morocco and Norway as countries without concrete Disney related IP. Honestly if they wanted to they could put a water ride into Canada and it would fit.

Frozen and Norway just seem off. But the deed is done and we have to live with it. Let us hope that any additions to the other pavilions are worth the wait and anticipation.
Canada - Brother Bear

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter