Party of 2 for Paris and DLP or Party of 5 for Disneyland California?? Trying to decide.

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Over the weekend DH and I have been talking about what trips, and things that we are committed to from now till the end of the year. So then we started talking about whats going to be our big trip next year. After all the possibilities, We got it down to 2 options

1) Party of 2 - Heading back to Paris and Disneyland Paris - just DH and I - 10 nights visiting the sites and tours that we added to our list from our trip this past May... We would be staying at the same hotels that we stayed at this year, We loved both of them... The Hotel in Paris was in a perfect spot for us, one block from the Arc de Triomphe and Newport Bay hotel at DLP. We would be changing up tours and there is so much to see in Paris... Using same transportation options.

or

2) Party of 5 - Going to Disneyland in California and taking DD, SIL and Our Sweet little Grandson who will be 4 by the time we are planning on going.... looking at 5 nights. We more than likely we will stay where DH and I stayed at when we went to Disneyland 5 years ago, it was a off site good neighbor hotel. It has changed names I think its now called "Majestic Gardens Hotel" . But we are also looking at the " Anaheim Marriott Hotel" - I would love to stay on site but with 2 rooms I don't think that the budget will be able to support it.

Honestly it will run about the same cost... I am running the numbers...With staying off site at Disneyland, I can control some of the cost, but with park tickets there is no wiggle room... as well as dinning which with a 4 year old we will be leaning more toward, QS meals, possibly a character meal, and I know at least 1 table service for DD 30th birthday, but most like 2 TS meals... We will use private car service to and from the airport... Also with our Marriott points, will weigh in and free shuttle service to the parks will also play into our budget...
One of the reason we are thinking about going next year is our grandson with be only 4 and not in school yet, so vacations are easy... but once he starts school we will be limited to vacation time. Plus a special way to celebrate DD's 30th birthday...

So what would you do???? any suggestion would be most appreciated...

Oh, I'd celebrate having a 4 year old in any Disney Park. (Actually, I'd do a week WDW over DisneyLand and only 4 days there.)

Don't get me wrong, right now I'm all about making fun travel plans for me right now. Truth is, I'm really just gearing up as I'm seeing my last year of college tuition about to go out the door! But if I had a 4 year old to play with at a Disney Park - well those plans would easily wait a year or two. I think the primary reason that I love Disney so much is all the fun that dd and I had there together when she was young. I miss going to Disney with a little one so much.

That said - I'm truly not sure how in the world 2 people for 10 nights in Paris costs less than 5 people for 5 days at DisneyLand. But dd and I did some incredibly inexpensive trips to WDW when she was little. Darn those APs - once you sunk that cost, and for only 2 it wasn't that bad, trips were cheap!

If you decide Disneyland, you may be able to "rent" Disney Vacation Club points to stay onsite. That would offer you a kitchen to cook some meals in too..helping out the budget some.

Gotta go with the four year old and Disneyland :love: Four is such a fun age and what a great place to spend time with family!

If you decide Disneyland, you may be able to "rent" Disney Vacation Club points to stay onsite. That would offer you a kitchen to cook some meals in too..helping out the budget some.

I wouldn't count on that as a realistic option at Disneyland. There are very few Disneyland DVC rooms available and are notoriously hard to get unless you actually own at Disneyland. Certainly not impossible, but I'd bet not as cheap as Disney World DVC since you'd be more likely to need to rent "Disneyland DVC points" instead of "any DVC points" in order to get availability at 11 months out.

But I hear it's a wonderful place to stay if you succeed.

I am a bit biased since Disneyland is my home park... but I vote for Disneyland with your family as well. I agree with others that family time at a Disney park is amazing! It's what created this obsession with me after all. :-)

If you are planning on utilizing Marriott points, there is also the Fairfield Inn on S. Harbor Blvd that is VERY walkable to the parks and has recently been refreshed. That would eliminate a need for a shuttle and may be nice if the kiddo needs to take an unscheduled afternoon break. There is also the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance that is also a Marriott property, but that one would cost more points (although a somewhat nicer property).

Another vote for taking the 4yo grandson to DLR. I'd do that in a heartbeat! As you mentioned, once he begins school, travel will become more complicated. Enjoy this time where you don't have to worry about school schedules. You and your dh can always do trips for the two of you later.

I think either are great options for a trip you’ll always remember. That’s what makes it so hard!

I was getting ready to buck the trend and say Paris, but then I saw that you were just there last May. I still think I’d lean toward that, though. You want to go back and have a list of things you want to do there and you don’t want to put off those things forever. I’m also in favor of longer trips, usually. Sometimes on a 5-day trip you barely feel like you get to settle in.

That said, 4 *is* a magical age to be taken to Disney. But so is 5, although school does make travel more complicated. Kids and grandkids are only young once, and it’s fun to spend time together as a family. So idunno. Both are good options.

Like another poster I guess I’m surprised/confused as to how five nights at a good neighbor hotel at Disneyland ends up being the same cost as a ten-day trip to Paris and Disneyland Paris, even factoring in the cost of the extra meals and tickets. Not to be impolite, but are your DD and SIL in a position where they are able to help contribute to the cost of a trip for them and (I’m assuming here) their young son? I understand that it’s your DD’s 30th birthday but that is an extremely generous birthday gift. If they’re in a stable financial situation I don’t think it’s unreasonable to approach them about helping with the cost and they may well want to, if they know that you’re giving up a ten-day trip to Paris to accommodate them.

Either are great options and I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time no matter which you choose. I’d push back on the idea that “you can always do trips for the two of you later” though. None of us knows what the future holds.

We took my son at almost 5 and almost 6. He really didn't remember much about the first trip. Not that it's necessary he remember, just giving you my experience.

As a teacher, it might be surprising that I would say to not worry about young kids missing school. But truthfully, over the years I had many many kids miss school for vacation. It was tarelyva big deal and did not set them back at all. So don't worry so much about that factor.

We took my son at almost 5 and almost 6. He really didn't remember much about the first trip. Not that it's necessary he remember, just giving you my experience.

As a teacher, it might be surprising that I would say to not worry about young kids missing school. But truthfully, over the years I had many many kids miss school for vacation. It was tarelyva big deal and did not set them back at all. So don't worry so much about that factor.

I would totally agree with you about missing school...no big deal imo until high school...However, the OP is wanting to take her 4yo grandson. I know both of my aunts would LOVE to take their grandkids on trips when schools are in but the parents refuse to allow them to miss any school (even at K!). Blows my mind a bit.

I would totally agree with you about missing school...no big deal imo until high school...However, the OP is wanting to take her 4yo grandson. I know both of my aunts would LOVE to take their grandkids on trips when schools are in but the parents refuse to allow them to miss any school (even at K!). Blows my mind a bit.

We did take our kids out of school in elementary school for vacations, but their school was not happy about it. It wasn't that the kids couldn't keep up or missed anything that important - it was because the absences were considered unexcused in our district, and a certain number of unexcused absences for the school meant that they missed the state standard for attendance, so their rating went down. We did try to limit absences out of respect for their position, but sometimes it was the time that worked best for the family as a whole. Just another perspective on missing school that I wasn't initially aware of when they were young. :teacher:

We did take our kids out of school in elementary school for vacations, but their school was not happy about it. It wasn't that the kids couldn't keep up or missed anything that important - it was because the absences were considered unexcused in our district, and a certain number of unexcused absences for the school meant that they missed the state standard for attendance, so their rating went down. We did try to limit absences out of respect for their position, but sometimes it was the time that worked best for the family as a whole. Just another perspective on missing school that I wasn't initially aware of when they were young. :teacher:
Yes this is very true. In our state, funding is dependent on average daily attendance. However, there is also something called EHO or education enhancement opportunity which a parent can apply for. This keeps kids from being truant during these types of absences.

Yes this is very true. In our state, funding is dependent on average daily attendance. However, there is also something called EHO or education enhancement opportunity which a parent can apply for. This keeps kids from being truant during these types of absences.

Unfortunately our principal would not consider any family vacation as an educational opportunity, even though a case could certainly be made for many locations, not just Disney. I think that was the particular principal's decision, though - other schools in the district are not nearly as strict. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately our principal would not consider any family vacation as an educational opportunity, even though a case could certainly be made for many locations, not just Disney. I think that was the particular principal's decision, though - other schools in the district are not nearly as strict. :rolleyes:
I can certainly see that happening. Ours is a district policy. That's a good thing. Makes things consistent.

Both sound wonderful, but are entirely different types of trips. I'd go with your gut feel, whichever one excites you the most. This is something frivolous and fun. And whatever you don't do, there is always the chance to do that another time. With your grandson in the future if need be, you can always do a trip during a school break.

I did Disneyland/LA just a few years ago and did find the Disneyland park in particular to be absolutely charming -- wonderful place to take a little one. I'm actually going to Paris/Belfast in 2020 and am fitting in a one day park hopper at Disneyland Paris too. This will be my first trip back to Paris since I was 16 and an exchange student living in the city with a French family there. I do think of Paris as a magical fun place to go, and DS 22 and DH will be on this mini trip (first for either of them to go to France). DS wanting to go so much is what is getting be to go back -- only now am I at the point where I think I'll be ok just going back for a short vacation trip vs. an extended living situation (loved the place that much).

Do you want a trip for yourself or a trip with the focus on someone else? If you do Cali, the trip will be about your grandson. Both trips would be fun obviously, but very different. If you decide on California perhaps your daughter can chip in for part of the cost.

Oh, I'd celebrate having a 4 year old in any Disney Park. (Actually, I'd do a week WDW over DisneyLand and only 4 days there.)

Don't get me wrong, right now I'm all about making fun travel plans for me right now. Truth is, I'm really just gearing up as I'm seeing my last year of college tuition about to go out the door! But if I had a 4 year old to play with at a Disney Park - well those plans would easily wait a year or two. I think the primary reason that I love Disney so much is all the fun that dd and I had there together when she was young. I miss going to Disney with a little one so much.

That said - I'm truly not sure how in the world 2 people for 10 nights in Paris costs less than 5 people for 5 days at DisneyLand. But dd and I did some incredibly inexpensive trips to WDW when she was little. Darn those APs - once you sunk that cost, and for only 2 it wasn't that bad, trips were cheap!

We live here in Florida, and are WDW AP holders, and he goes all the time.

I check at Davids DVC, and wow is all I can say....

I was shocked when I ran the first round of numbers... I thought that Disneyland would be alot less... not so much. Just the tickets for 5 for 4 days is around 1,800... our 3 nights at DLP was 2,000 that included club level, at Newport Bay, park tickets, and Half board plus dinning. the difference of 2 rooms verses 1 room... No way can we all stay in one room privacy and personal space is a must... not unless its a 2 bedroom suite. Airfare is kind of up in the air... not sure on how many air miles we will have by the time we get ready to book... So this will play into the final cost... We have 2 more trips that involve air travel so I will have to see after that were we are... and of course we have to talk everything over with them... and see what they can do comfortably financially to help... So I will keep running the numbers... and DH and I are still just talking about our options at this point...

I think either are great options for a trip you’ll always remember. That’s what makes it so hard!

I was getting ready to buck the trend and say Paris, but then I saw that you were just there last May. I still think I’d lean toward that, though. You want to go back and have a list of things you want to do there and you don’t want to put off those things forever. I’m also in favor of longer trips, usually. Sometimes on a 5-day trip you barely feel like you get to settle in.

That said, 4 *is* a magical age to be taken to Disney. But so is 5, although school does make travel more complicated. Kids and grandkids are only young once, and it’s fun to spend time together as a family. So idunno. Both are good options.

Like another poster I guess I’m surprised/confused as to how five nights at a good neighbor hotel at Disneyland ends up being the same cost as a ten-day trip to Paris and Disneyland Paris, even factoring in the cost of the extra meals and tickets. Not to be impolite, but are your DD and SIL in a position where they are able to help contribute to the cost of a trip for them and (I’m assuming here) their young son? I understand that it’s your DD’s 30th birthday but that is an extremely generous birthday gift. If they’re in a stable financial situation I don’t think it’s unreasonable to approach them about helping with the cost and they may well want to, if they know that you’re giving up a ten-day trip to Paris to accommodate them.

Either are great options and I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time no matter which you choose. I’d push back on the idea that “you can always do trips for the two of you later” though. None of us knows what the future holds.

This is why it is so hard... to pick... On the one hand pixie dust and priceless family time... on the other hand romantic nights in the city of lights plus pixie dust.. Hard to choose...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!