Park shoe recommendation

I've decided I'm going to start off the day in my Hoka sneakers, then switch to my Birkenstocks when I need a change. I wear moisture wicking socks so my feet don't sweet and that cuts down on the blisters. Hoka's are very comfortable but I think after 8 hours I'll want to take them off and slip on a pair of sandals to let my feet be free. I'm just not at all sure I want to carry a sling bag with another pair of shoes, ugh I think I'll be hot!!

Are Hokas super comfy and wide? I wear Altra Paradigms as daily sneakers and they are nice and wide and super comfy. They helped cure my plantar fasciitis.

Bumping for more input.

Looking at the Keen Newport H2. Has anyone worn these with thin little socks?

The Chaco sandal Z1 classic seemed a little hard on the footbed, but I like the idea of minimal straps.
My daughter insists on wearing hers with socks. The fashion crime drives me crazy but it works for her so I shut my mouth.

I have two pair of go to shoes for Disney. First is a pair of Nike Air Monarch sneakers. I pretty well live in them at home, and it is not unusual for me to walk 10 to 12 miles a day in them, so I'm pretty comfy walking in them at the parks as well. My second choice is a pair of Teva sandals that I bought last year, which are lovely, and a much better choice if it happens to be raining than the sneakers are.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I LOVE my Skechers "Rasta" sandals! I have a pretty large bunion on my left foot, and these are perfect because they are comfortable and do not rub on it. I also have a pair of Tevas (not sure the style) that I like. My shoe secret that's not so much a secret, is to never wear the same pair of shoes 2 days in a row so that they are hitting in different spots. It hasn't failed me yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Wom...qid=1495286072&sr=8-1&keywords=skechers+rasta

Are Hokas super comfy and wide? I wear Altra Paradigms as daily sneakers and they are nice and wide and super comfy. They helped cure my plantar fasciitis.
Yes I have a size 11 WIDE!! They are for people with plantar fasciitis and no archs. They are super cushiony, in fact they are very chunky. I'm a few inches taller when I wear them.

https://www.footankle.com/can-maximally-cushioned-shoes-like-hoka-relieve-foot-pain/

But I still don't feel I could wear them to the parks for 10 or 12 hours. I don't think there is a shoe made that I could wear for that long. After a while my feet just feel too confined in tennis shoes. I'm thinking bringing my birks to change into later on will help me out.

Yes I have a size 11 WIDE!! They are for people with plantar fasciitis and no archs. They are super cushiony, in fact they are very chunky. I'm a few inches taller when I wear them.

https://www.footankle.com/can-maximally-cushioned-shoes-like-hoka-relieve-foot-pain/

But I still don't feel I could wear them to the parks for 10 or 12 hours. I don't think there is a shoe made that I could wear for that long. After a while my feet just feel too confined in tennis shoes. I'm thinking bringing my birks to change into later on will help me out.

You are talking about the Hoka One One, right? From what I understand, It's a very similar design as the Altra Paradigm.

I just got my shoes for my trip and I settled on a pair of Adidas NEO cloud foam and Baretraps Tipper active sandals. I'm usually a flip flop person but I have finally learned from my mistakes. My high arches can't take anymore abuse on a WDW trip so I am prepared, plus the Adidas shoes are so friggin' cute! I also have wide feet and both are very comfortable, I'm wearing them in already...I am determined to have my first blister free trip!!!
It also helped that I had over $100 worth of DSW gift cards :laughing: So yes, I picked up a pair of Roxy flip flops just for funsies!! Cheers to all of you will the same high hopes of not using a single bandaid this vacation :flower3:

I wear only shoes with zero lift and zero support, usually called "barefoot" or "minimalist" shoes. My favorites for the parks are by Soft Star, Original RunAmoc in the LITE leather with a leather sole. A period of adjustment is needed before going minimalist but once you do, the benefits are major. For people without flat feet or plantar fasciitis, this way of wearing shoes makes a lot of sense. If you think about it, our ancestors walked for miles and miles with no support. The more supportive our shoes have become, the weaker our foot muscles and strength and the higher the incidence of feet problems! I wear the same pair of shoes for 10-13 miles per day at Disney, with thin SmartWool socks. I do bring an extra pair in case the ones I'm wearing get wet. The only time my feet will get tired is if I'm doing too much standing on concrete in one place at the end of a long day.

My RunAmocs are turquoise with a white stripe and white with an orange stripe. They're odd looking but they do get a lot of attention - strangely enough, from Europeans. I have suede ones and other styles for winter and more formal dressing.

My 13-year old daughter cannot wear these as she has very flat feet and other structural problems. She wears custom orthotics. Her feet problems are so significant that we have to rent a wheelchair for her as she can't manage more than a couple of miles without incapacitating pain :(

ff5e28009ea82467ac0c34548e4bf5a1.jpg

Last edited:
I wear only shoes with zero lift and zero support, usually called "barefoot" or "minimalist" shoes. My favorites for the parks are by Soft Star, Original RunAmoc in the LITE leather with a leather sole. A period of adjustment is needed before going minimalist but once you do, the benefits are major. For people without flat feet or plantar fasciitis, this way of wearing shoes makes a lot of sense. If you think about it, our ancestors walked for miles and miles with no support. The more supportive our shoes have become, the weaker our foot muscles and strength and the higher the incidence of feet problems! I wear the same pair of shoes for 10-13 miles per day at Disney, with thin SmartWool socks. I do bring an extra pair in case the ones I'm wearing get wet. The only time my feet will get tired is if I'm doing too much standing on concrete in one place at the end of a long day.

My RunAmocs are turquoise with a white stripe and white with an orange stripe. They're odd looking but they do get a lot of attention - strangely enough, from Europeans. I have suede ones and other styles for winter and more formal dressing.

My 13-year old daughter cannot wear these as she has very flat feet and other structural problems. She wears custom orthotics. Her feet problems are so significant that we have to rent a wheelchair for her as she can't manage more than a couple of miles without incapacitating pain :(

ff5e28009ea82467ac0c34548e4bf5a1.jpg

Softstar Runamocs and especially Moc3's (as well as Lems) were my favorites before I got plantar fasciitis. I can't say why I got it because I was accustomed to those shoes. Anyway, I tried all sorts of foot strengthening for the PF (pen-penny exercise, rolling out with a foot rubz ball, running uphill, swimming with flippers), but nothing worked. Finally, someone recommended the Altra Paradigm and that shoe cured it for me. It's a maximalist shoe which means, zero-drop, wide forefoot, but with padding (and some sort of system that prevents your foot rolling in but in an active way(?)). I preferred to try that over going back to regular sneakers (don't want to ever squeeze my foot, again!) with orthotics.

Now I still wear the Paradigms most of the time, especially working all day on concrete floors, except I also wear the Ecco sandals in the summer, which are cushioned but flexible, and move with the foot. I'm barefoot when I'm at home. I'm going to start alternating with minimal shoes again, soon, but I'm not going to do it all at once. Also, I can't give up my tall boots, so I'm not going to ever be a 100% full-time minimalist shoe person.

So I'm confused about what is better for flat feet - something with arch support or not? I see some ppl in this thread say they have flat feet so anything with arches hurts, but then others say if you have flat feet then you need something with arch support. So which is it? I have flat feet.

So I'm confused about what is better for flat feet - something with arch support or not? I see some ppl in this thread say they have flat feet so anything with arches hurts, but then others say if you have flat feet then you need something with arch support. So which is it? I have flat feet.
I have flat feet and i need the arch support. When I walk barefooted my feet and back hurt. I always wear Birkenstock clogs or sandals in the house.

I imagine everyone is different.

It's my understanding that people with flat feet are at greater risk of problems from wearing shoes with too little support. My daughter has a pair of custom made orthotics and she had to wear them for only brief periods of time while she was adjusting. Pre-made orthotics or shoes with heavy arch support may not be the right form for the person with flat feet.

I have flat feet and i need the arch support. When I walk barefooted my feet and back hurt. I always wear Birkenstock clogs or sandals in the house.

I imagine everyone is different.

Ok that helps. I have noticed lately that my lower back starts to hurt with the shoes I was wearing to the parks that really didn't provide arch support. So this time I bought some Olukai flip flops and Hoka sneakers. I've been breaking them in and so far so good.

I have flat feet, and I need some support, but some shoes have too much arch, and they just hurt my feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter