Paradise Pier Hotel?

Andrea0710

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Paradise Pier Hotel when we go to DLR in November. We basically picked Paradise Pier for location to the parks and view of Carsland since my 5 year old is obsessed with the movie Cars. However, I keep reading reviews that aren't too positive, so I am a little nervous now about the experience. We have been to WDW numerous times and have stayed in deluxe, moderate, and value, so I feel like we would know what to expect. Anyone stay here who can give me a comparison of this hotel to a hotel in WDW? What were the pros and cons of staying here? Thanks in advance!

Full Disclosure - I didn't stay at PP but we just got back and stayed at Disneyland hotel.

PP is a fair walk from the parks and there isn't transportation so keep in mind there will be a walk. The view of DCA would be amazing though if you're on the right side of the hotel. Reviews are usually written by grumpy travelers who didn't get exactly what they wanted - or had unrealistic expectations. We had similar concerns about DL and had an amazing time and felt like the hotel was awesome but we had realistic expectations of crowds, price and amenities.

We stayed at PPH in 12-2014. We loved it! I think it compares to a moderate Resort in WDW. We loved the day bed and 2 queens. We were upgraded to theme park view and it awesome! Being able to DCA at night was beautiful.

In 2014 we were able to walk through the Grand California to downtown Disney and the parks.

We stayed at GC in February and walked to DLH and back through downtown Disney to GC. They walk wasn't bad at all. I would let the walk bother you.

We have stayed at this hotel twice and both times have been thoroughly disappointed. I don't believe it was originally built by Disney, and you can tell that when you walk through the "lobby" and see the amenities. It does not feel like you are "in the bubble" of Disneyland whatsoever, and for the price you could get something far nicer off-site. I can't think of anything at WDW that really compares... it is very VERY lightly themed and feels like a Hilton.. If you can manage the cost for GCH or the DLH, do that. You will not regret it.

We are staying at Paradise Pier Hotel when we go to DLR in November. We basically picked Paradise Pier for location to the parks and view of Carsland since my 5 year old is obsessed with the movie Cars. However, I keep reading reviews that aren't too positive, so I am a little nervous now about the experience. We have been to WDW numerous times and have stayed in deluxe, moderate, and value, so I feel like we would know what to expect. Anyone stay here who can give me a comparison of this hotel to a hotel in WDW? What were the pros and cons of staying here? Thanks in advance!
When in November are you going?

We have stayed at PPH several times. Mainly because I didn't have the budget for either the GCH or DLH.

If you want a good view of DCA, you'll need to be on one of the top floors. Last Feb trip we had a 9th floor room and the view was perfect!

Being on lower floors, you run the risk of having trees interfering with the view. If you have paid for a theme park view, when you check in if you aren't on the 9th floor or above, let the CM know the importance of an unobstructed view of CarsLand. They can move you if you are checking in early enough in the day.

Geemo

I've stayed there three or four times. Room was clean, everything was in good condition. Surfs up buffet is great and they have a little coffee shop and a really nice gift shop. Other than early entry it does not give you an advantage over any of the close hotels on harbor. I would determine if that's worth the cost or upgrade to DLH. The walk is definitely farther than the "crosswalk" hotels on harbor.

PP is similar to the Swan or Dolphin. Location is not far from the parks or downtown, but the hotel does not have a true Disney feel. Rooms are nice and clean but a little pricey due to being a Disney property. We had a view of DCA which was nice, but did not spend much time in the room to really enjoy it.

My family loves PPH, but don't set your expectations too high. We think the walk is easy and prefer not being out on harbor (you will love being able to walk everywhere vs WDW transportation). I think the walk is similar to walking back to the Boardwalk from the international gateway at Epcot....at least on the way back, when you can cut through the grand. Bedding, toiletries, amenities, room type put all 3 Disneyland hotels in the deluxe category , but w/o the heavy resort theming (only GCH was built by Disney).
Like I said, we've always enjoyed our stays at PPH because you still get early hours, we prefer the walk to being out on Harbor w/ traffic/smoking,etc. and we like the pool area ( even though it's fairly plain) because it's usually not the wild madhouse you have at DLH. We've been upgraded to park view room a couple times and it's nice, but I'd rather have a cabana room. I noticed during our New Years stay this year that and our window kept fogging up (I guess cuz it was cold outside?), so everything just looked blurry.
We like all 3 DL hotels for different reasons and don't mind over paying to stay at them vs an offsite hotel.

Here is a pedometer of the walk ,not bad, about .6 of a mile , Used to be able to take a short cut thru GCH for entry, but not anymore. You can return thru the GCH though. You can compare the distance with Harbor hotels. The PPH is ok, clean and comfortable, just not as upscale. You can watch the fireworks from the 3rd floor pool area and they pipe in the audio.

PP 1aa.jpg

Since we chose Paradise Pier for the view of Carsland, we are going to stay with this choice. Other that park view of 9th floor or above, should I ask for anything else to make sure we have a prime view? I really want this trip to be an extra special surprise for my 5 year old.

Pros: walking distance to park.

Cons: way overpriced with even more resort fees.

In the old days it was nice when any Disney hotel key allowed use of any pool. And early entry was only for resort guests. And the DCA entrance at the Grand was only for all hotel guests. But now I hear the Grand won't even let you through the front door?

We really enjoy the PPH now that they fixed the elevator issues. We stay at the DLH most, but also enjoy PPH. Rooms are large and friendly.

1960069_10203341356078206_1318315148_n.jpg

1625569_10203341356998229_137803044_n.jpg

1509138_10203341357158233_80854482_n.jpg

988802_10203341355198184_1902854529_n.jpg

1655860_10203341356798224_1661931433_n.jpg

We really enjoy the PPH now that they fixed the elevator issues. We stay at the DLH most, but also enjoy PPH. Rooms are large and friendly.

1960069_10203341356078206_1318315148_n.jpg

1625569_10203341356998229_137803044_n.jpg

1509138_10203341357158233_80854482_n.jpg

988802_10203341355198184_1902854529_n.jpg

1655860_10203341356798224_1661931433_n.jpg
Do you happen to remember the room number for these photos?
It might help the OP to know.

It's a fine hotel. But except for early entry I don't see a reason at DLR to stay on property. There are so many off property places that are less expensive. And BWPPI is actually closer walking than PPH. But we aren't the type of family to be in our room long enough to care about views or pools. When we go to DLR is for the parks. It's not the same as WDW. WDW I'm all about being on property usually.

Since we chose Paradise Pier for the view of Carsland, we are going to stay with this choice. Other that park view of 9th floor or above, should I ask for anything else to make sure we have a prime view? I really want this trip to be an extra special surprise for my 5 year old.

I think at 5 yo, buying him a mickey ice cream bar would make a special trip to the happiest place on earth "extra special". You'd be surprised how much kids appreciate the little inexpensive things.

They fixed them? How and when? I was just about to post that the elevator situation at PPH is horrible if you are on the middle floors and that that was a primary reason we never stay there anymore.
It was the primary reason we wouldn't stay there. It is MUCH better, but not perfect. Now when you approach the elevator, you push the floor you want to go to and it assigns you an elevator. It stops everyone rushing on one elevator. I didn't really think it would help, but it did.

Do you happen to remember the room number for these photos?
It might help the OP to know.
No, I don't keep track of those things. I believe it was either on the 8th or 12th floor. (I know it wasn't the 14/15th floor.) And it was even numbered since it is facing the park.

ETA - And all the rooms I have stayed in have been similarly themed. We will be staying there next weekend, will try and get pics.

Will a 5 year old know that the rocks are CL? And is he talk enough for RSR? If he can't ride the only recognizable part of CL, you may want to rethink how thrilled he'd be with that view.

Will a 5 year old know that the rocks are CL? And is he talk enough for RSR? If he can't ride the only recognizable part of CL, you may want to rethink how thrilled he'd be with that view.
At 5yo, unless there is something very delayed, he should be able to ride RDR. My granddaughter (who is on the taller side) was riding RSR at 2.5yo, and Screamin' at 5. Her cousin who is on the very small side rode RSR just before his 4th birthday. And yes, as soon as Mom points them out, he will know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter