"Pal Mickey" information...

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
Some info on the "Pal Mickey" program from Vacation Magic, the quarterly DVC Newsletter (any spelling errors are my typos, not Disney's):

"...Beginning this spring, Pal Mickey will be available as a daily rental (for a nominal fee) or for one-time purchase in each Resort merchandise shop and in select merchandise shops in the four Theme Parks and Downtown Disney Marketplace. Take Pal Mickey along to the Theme Parks and he'll offer suggestions, tips, and of course, keep you entertained.

Pal Mickey will recommend attractions, even pointing out shorter lines! He'll help you locate Disney characters in the Theme Parks, tell stories and jokes, and play interactive games. And if you've ever lost track of time, Pal Mickey offers reminders about parade and show start times, so you won't miss a minute of the entertainment. With Pal Mickey, you'll experience the Parks like never before.

MEMBER PERK

From May 1 through September 30, 2003, receive a one-day complimentary rental of Pal Mickey! Coupons will be available from the Front Desk of your Walt Disney World Resort hotel and in your Welcome Home check-in folder at the Disney Vacation Club Resorts. Present the coupon and your Member Card at the time of rental. A fully refundable deposit of $50 is required at the time of rental. While the rental period can exceed one single day, only one day of the rental fee will be waived (Retail value $8.00). Limit one complimentary rental day per Member family. Offer may be used only once throughout entire duration of the offer period. Rentals will be available at select Resort and Theme Park merchandise locations. Please note that coupons will not be distributed at Disney's All Star Resort, Disney's Vero Beach Resort, or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort."

A bit more... the slogan is apparently "Pal Mickey...He's the talk of the parks!"

From the picture, he appears to be about 10-12" tall.

To steal a phrase from our friend gcurling... "Opportunity cost aside", I think it could be a pretty neat thing. It appears to be $8 a day to rent, which is a bit much, but I'm curious what the purchase price is. Wouldn't be a bad thing to have when waiting in long lines with little ones...oh, who am I kidding, I'll probably play with it as much as any little kid would!

Now, again, I don't see this as any kind of overall shift or improvement in direction, and the opportunity cost aside is a big caveat. Also, I don't see this (taken by itself) as anything that's going to really do much for attendance....my postive comments are merely from the "what will it do for MY experience point of view".

There, how's that for a diplomatic start?

Regardless of my thoughts on the merit of the doll itself, I am very happy that it looks like it’s going to be made available to anyone who wants it. It will be interesting to read the first reports from the people who use these devices.

Just kidding. I think it sounds pretty cool,especially if it helps with ride traffic,show start times,etc. Sounds like they could develope a whole lot more into it if it proves successfull.

I think I heard there is going to be a PDA kinda like the Mickey but for Adults, anyone here anyting abou this?

can you scan or post this info? Would love to see the article and the picture!
THANKS!!

For a while they were testing Compaq PDA devices loaded with Disney programming. The “rumors” are that Disney felt that talking plush would be more marketable than just a computer device, and (more importantly) HP won’t foot the bill.

The “rumors” are that Disney felt that talking plush would be more marketable than just a computer device,...
Personally, I think they are probably correct in this case.

See, I can say it!

I sure hope you can remove the sensor unit because I can just hear it now LOOK at that 40 year old guy with the mickey toy walking around the park!!

I saw a photo of the Mickey doll -- my fear is that if you rent one, how does Disney clean it before they give it to the next child? The Mickey looks "plush" and those capable of holding all sorts of little organisms in its plush-ness. Yikes. Does anyone know if the Mickey "skin" is cleaned nightly at the local Disney laundry mat??

I sure hope you can remove the sensor unit because I can just hear it now LOOK at that 40 year old guy with the mickey toy walking around the park!!
Well, I suppose you could put it in your pocket, but that might generate a whole new set of comments...

I can hear it now... "Is that a Pal Mickey in your pocket, or..."

Well I certainly wouldn't admit to having a Pal _Minnie_ in my pocket...

Okay, imagine I said it with a painted on moustache and a cigar...

Still no?

Oh. Okay. Well, I apologize.

-WFH

Is this part of the Destination: Disney! thing? I have confirmation that someone who booked a room only reservation via CRO (using a discount code) was called by Disney and asked to participate in their testing of the Destination: Disney! program. It does appear that that program will not just be an add on to overpriced WDTC packages. I was curious as to whether this was another component of that program.

We're going in May and I can't WAIT to get my Pal Mickey! I just hope the program will continue and I can use him every year.

Judging from the deposit, I would say the cost is around $50. I will also probably buy one. Further, I am 40 years old and walk around with two stuffed animals in my backpack. I am afraid my 2 dragons might get a little jealous of the new Mickey.

As far as cleaning goes, I think that they will pull out the electronics and wash them. At least I would hope so.

:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter