Packing Help! ((weather))

TigrLvsPooh

Travel Channel's Ultimate Disney Fan
We leave this weekend for WDW and I'm trying to get the boys packed. (3 year old and 16 month old) Those of you who just got back or are going soon are you packing mostly shorts and t-shirts? Then pants and jackets for the evenings? According to weather.com it's going to be in the 80's. It's so cold here I can't even imagine what 85 feels like. ;) Are the evenings chilly???

Thanks! :)

bumping you up back to the top....

Can't help you much since it was three years ago we went in October. I remember packing a few pairs of pants and a light weight jacket for the evenings and shorts and t-shirts for the days.

Have a great time and say hi to Mickey for me!

We go in Winter so that is even harder. My sister's family always goes this time of year (leaving Friday) and they never need more than shorts and t-shirts even at night. The exception is that my sister carries a jacket for cold air conditioned shows and resturants. I always way over pack and try to take two sesasons of clothes. I have learned that we always end up washiing out and wearing over and over our few favorite WDW t-shirts and our shorts or jeans. Have a blast and look for my sister's family. she has the brightest red hair you have ever seen.

jordan's mom

We've been in September, October, November, and December...and you just never know what the weather will be like. Could be very warm, or could be very cool, and sometimes on the same day. I bring shorts and T-shirts, and then sweat pants and a light jacket. They dress in the shorts and T-shirts. If it's cool in the early morning they put the sweats and jacket on over the shorts and T-shirt. When it warms up they just peel off a layer. I keep a bag in the stroller to carry the extra clothes. (Don't know what I'll do when we don't need a stroller any more! Probably rent a locker.) Then if it cools off again they just re-add the layer.

We'll do the same thing for the flight down. They'll wear shorts under their sweats, and take off the sweats when we get there.

And while I'm typing anyway, I'll pass on the best packing tip ever (learned here on the DIS board): pack each matching outfit (shorts, shirt, socks, underwear, hair doohickeys, everything) in a Zip-Lock bag. Then when it's time to get dressed in the morning, just toss a bag to each child. Everything is there and coordinated. You can even squeeze the air out of the bags to make them take up less space. Save the Zip-Lock bags when you get home. I put all of mine in a WDW shopping bag and stored them in my closet. I just got them out again to start packing for our trip next week!

Ohhhhhhhh Barb I like that tip! I have 2yo twins and that would work really well for me. Then DH or DS11 could help us all get ready faster since im always the last one done!! Thanks im gonna try it out!!

Disnee Dad Says.....................................We always go around this time of year. It can get into the upper 80's like a couple days ago, but is usually a little cooler more like 80. The problem is going to be in the evenings when it may cool down a little one night and get down to 50 the next. You will need to pack some kind of sweatshirt at the least. A combo of t-shirt, regular shirt and sweatshirt should cover you well if you hit a cold night. And remember 50 is not cold to some people, out here in California we break out the sweaters if it hits 75!

What about February? Please bear in mind that we'll be coming from a cold wet climate, so anything other than wet miserable weather is a bonus! :cool:

ps Will somebody PLEASE tell me how to inser at "vacation countdown"?

We swam in the pool last February, but some nights were chilly. We wore shorts to the parks during the day, but brought sweatshirts. At night we wore pants. I think it's hit or miss during January and February. Have read reports of people wearing winter coats past years.

October - Remember that weather.com is giving you the highs. Check the lows as well, particularly if you are going to be doing early mornings or late evenings. We usually pack a jacket or sweatshirt - and a pair of long pants "just in case." With small kids I'm be even more cautious - you'll feed like a horrible parent if there is a cold snap and your three year old only has shorts. (We found a number of lightweight pants for our tot set - then we'd just take them off and throw them in the diaper bag when it warmed up).

Feburary - definately bring long pants and sweatshirts or jackets, in addition to shorts. We had one day where the high hit 80, most days the high hit the low-mid 70s last year. But mornings were very chilly. If you are the type that carries, bring some nylon jogging pants, then you can take them off and stick them in a backpack (or a locker) without needing to return to the room to change.

(I'm from Minnesota, so anything in Feburary that doesn't involve ten inches of snow and frostbite is a bonus - but I'd still wear long pants if it were going to be 48 degrees in the morning.)

Thanks for the advice - it's helpful to get it from someone who's used to a cold climate! ;)

We're back! :) I did pack some pants and jackets for the kids but they never used them. It was hot everyday and didn't really cool off that much at night. One day it rained a little and we broke out our ponchos, but that was it. :)

Originally posted by Barb D
And while I'm typing anyway, I'll pass on the best packing tip ever (learned here on the DIS board): pack each matching outfit (shorts, shirt, socks, underwear, hair doohickeys, everything) in a Zip-Lock bag. Then when it's time to get dressed in the morning, just toss a bag to each child. Everything is there and coordinated. You can even squeeze the air out of the bags to make them take up less space. Save the Zip-Lock bags when you get home. I put all of mine in a WDW shopping bag and stored them in my closet. I just got them out again to start packing for our trip next week!

Probably the best tip I've heard - thanks! :sunny:

Originally posted by Barb D
And while I'm typing anyway, I'll pass on the best packing tip ever (learned here on the DIS board): pack each matching outfit (shorts, shirt, socks, underwear, hair doohickeys, everything) in a Zip-Lock bag. Then when it's time to get dressed in the morning, just toss a bag to each child. [/QUOTE

LOL! I think I'll do that year round!!! What a great idea

PlutosMyFav

Just back today! We needed jackets in the early morning and evening some days, but not others. One night was so chilly that we had towels over our legs on the beach at the Contemp while we waited for the Electrical Water Pageant to pass by. It can truly go either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter