Packing for next weeks trip Dec 16-22?

Disneygrl71

Mouseketeer
The weather is looking pretty good as of now, with a chance of pm rain on Monday. I’m mainly thinking Capris/blue jeans with a mix of short/long sleeve shirts and my northface jacket. I’m curious (because humidity can make a huge difference in how it really feels) if Dec is typically humid in FL, that may determine a different packing strategy lol

We are there the same dates. I'm planning shorts for Sun/Mon and possibly Tues as of now. My husband will probably wear shorts some of the other days too. Long sleeves/pants for Saturday and Thursday (only two days below 70 right now.)

We arrive the 20th and I'm planning to wear shorts during the day and possibly jeans in the evening.

I think the humidity has an opposite effect below 70, and makes it feel cooler. I.e. this evening at 7pm is a real temp of 61 with a “Real feel” of 56.

Standing in the FL sun, with no breeze, 65 feels closer to 80. But as soon as clouds cover the sun (or most queues are shaded) and a breeze starts, it can feel chilly. You may want some cooler clothes when it’s above 70 and warmer clothes, especially if it gets below 60.

There's pretty much no humidity at all in December.

I'm going Dec 19-27 and am packing capris, short & longer sleeve shirts, two pairs of shorts in case the weather turns, and two pairs of jeans. Taking a medium weight hoodie as my jacket.

We will be there about the same time 17-21 (spur of the moment last minute let's go to Disney trip, darn you APs). We were there the same week last year and it really was a mix bag of weather. It was predicted to be the same as it's showing right now but nope. Day we got there it was warm, I had on capris and a light weight long sleeve shirt and almost burned up, then a gully washer came out of nowhere about 4 pm and it lasted a good 30 min. or more. We got our text our room was ready at Dolphin so got soaked to bone getting there, which got me cold and the jacket had to come out for the night. After that it was warmish but windy most days. I had capris and long sleeve shirts and a scarf, ended up having to buy a pashmena at Morocco one morning it was just too cold, it ended up wrapped around my waist in the afternoon and back over my shoulders at night. One day I had to buy a fairly heavy jacket at HS, yes I had one with me but it was in my room and I was cold right then (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). This time I'm taking a pair of light weight leggings and a pair of light weight joggers, a couple of pairs of capris, light weight long sleeve shirts that can be layered with something under if it gets colder and maybe a pair of jeans and a couple of different weight jackets. I'm a Georgia girl and those 50s at night are just too cold for me. I'm guessing I'm going to start the mornings with a jacket and end up with it tied around my waist toward afternoon then back on by the time the sun sets. It was sunny and 62 here yesterday afternoon and I had on a jacket while outside.

There's pretty much no humidity at all in December.

Except for the moisture in the air as the wind blows across all the water in FL and chills you to the bone when the temperatures are lower.

I’ve never felt that jeans keep me warm. They didn’t help us during the various trips we’ve taken in late fall and through winter in FL when it was cold.

I would feel properly packed right now for FL with shorts, shirts, normal socks, wool socks, warm shoes, flip flops, longjohns, running pants with extra layers, sweatshirts, puffy coats, knit caps, warm gloves, and swimsuits.

Everything from my drawers. :)

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I’m going to pack couple Capri leggings, 2/3 pairs of long yoga pants and jeans with a couple short/long sleeve shirts, couple hooded sweatshirts and a light sweater layered with a shirt underneath for the Christmas party night. A lightweight northface jacket should be good for the warmer days when I wear short sleeves, I’ll just rent a locker or tie it around my waist if it gets to warm during the day. I always stay cold so I think I’m good without shorts. My 14 year says he just wants jeans and jogging type pants with sweatshirts and mixture of short/long sleeve shirts with a jogging type jacket. I Feel like we are going to have so many clothes , but better safe then sorry!

I packed 2 days ago. Looks like I need to add a few more long sleeve shirts and a hoodie. If the wind blows they will be needed. One year it got so cold I had to buy some heavy sweat pants.

Local Floridian here. Don't rely on the forecast. If a cold front comes through unexpectedly, you'll want warm clothes. The moisture in the air makes it feel colder than it is. I can't tell you how many tourists we've run into at Disney in the winter who were surprised at how chilly they felt in what they considered to be warm temperatures.

It is humid here year round. Even in the winter it's usually in the 60-70% range. It doesn't feel humid from around November-March.

OH Man you people are scaring me. I’ll have to go repack. I bought all these cute Disney T-shirts and have only packed shorts. Up north here I wear flip flops until the temperatures hit 40 degrees!

The weather is looking pretty good as of now, with a chance of pm rain on Monday. I’m mainly thinking Capris/blue jeans with a mix of short/long sleeve shirts and my northface jacket. I’m curious (because humidity can make a huge difference in how it really feels) if Dec is typically humid in FL, that may determine a different packing strategy lol

Don't take anything for granted this far out! We're here now and the last few days have been brutal for cold wind.
Yest. was gusts up to 25mph - not fun!!! We didn't see all this coming a week ago. It was in the 80's the first days of our trip!! 40's with wind, damp and cold! LOTS of people in heavy jackets, hats, scarves.

I was just talking with one of our family friends on FB (who is there now). She said the nights get brutal cold because of the wind and they have been wearing heavy coats and gloves once the sun goes down and if it stays more cloudy than sunny. She said it’s also very crowded and they can hardly move. 2 of the 6 people in their party are sick. She said they loved the Christmas party and the resorts they visited were beautifully decorated. They said they probably won’t go back in December lol. Just their 2 cents and I thought I would share

Last edited:
OH Man you people are scaring me. I’ll have to go repack. I bought all these cute Disney T-shirts and have only packed shorts. Up north here I wear flip flops until the temperatures hit 40 degrees!

Another northerner here, and we pack 2-3 pairs of pants, 2-3 pairs of shorts, mostly short sleeve T shirts, a fleece NorthFace jacket, a scarf and lightweight gloves for each person in our party. We've gone over Christmas for the past 3 years and were glad to have the pants and jackets for the evenings. Some years we've worn mostly shorts, but others it was only pants. We stay offsite in a condo and have a washer and dryer available so that helps cut down on the amount of stuff we need to bring for our family of 5. Leaving in 9 days and can't wait! Have a great trip.

I don’t know how you carry everything around though if you start out in shorts in the 80s and have to bring pants and coats. It’s like you have to tote a suitcase to the parks. I’m used to the world in the summer!

I don’t know how you carry everything around though if you start out in shorts in the 80s and have to bring pants and coats. It’s like you have to tote a suitcase to the parks. I’m used to the world in the summer!

We usually take a break mid-day or just go to the parks in the late afternoon, so we bring the jacket and/or pants later on. There have been a few times that I grumbled about having my jacket when I didn't need it but, more often than not, I'm glad to have it.

It is DEFINITELY easier to pack for our August trips!

This is one of th the times when it's worth it to rent a locker! I wouldn't haul all of that around all day.

I went on a trip in mid-October one year when the temps fell 30 degrees overnight. Due to that experience, I always bring lots of layers. I was freezing! I was too cheap to buy a lot of super expensive WDW warm layers, so tried layering with you existing clothes. Awful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter