Overwhelmed-- LOTS of ???s re ADRs and planning

kyanmama

Earning My Ears
I'm brand new to this and need some advice please. We are at WDW over Christmas (Dec. 22-29). Staying at AKL. Me, DH, and our two boys (3 and 8 years old). Regular dining plan (yay free dining offer!!). Kids are pretty good eaters and open to trying new foods. We just booked this trip which is why I don't have more planned already. I know my options will be limited when making the rest of my ADRs, but it is what it is :)

Day 1- arrive at AKL ~ 4. Hang out at hotel, check things out. Dinner at Sanaa at 6:55.

Day 2- Magic Kingdom, break/nap at resort after lunch if needed. Then DHS for dinner at Hollywood & Vine at 4:20 and Fantasmic at 7:00 (dining package). (I know food might not be amazing but kids will like H&V I think :))

Day 3- Christmas Eve. DHS (EMH). Back to resort for break/nap in afternoon as needed. Go to MK fireworks. **Advice on where the heck to try to book dinner and still make it to fireworks?

Day 4- Christmas Day. AK (EMH). Break/nap at resort in the afternoon if needed. Dinner at Boma at 4:45 and ROL at 7:15.
*is dining package or FP needed/recommended for ROL?

Day 5-
MK (EMH). Crystal Palace at 1:10. Head to resort for break/nap after lunch if needed.
*where to head for the evening?

Day 6-
Boma breakfast at 8:00am (yes we are doing dinner here another night-- too much to do breakfast as well?)
This will be a resort/Disney Springs day or Typhoon Lagoon if it is warm enough.

Day 7- Epcot (EMH).
Akershus at 11:00 or 1:45 (which one should I keep?!). Then resort for break/rest. Back to Epcot for Candlelight Processional 8:45 and Illuminations (is this a realistic plan timewise?)

Day 8-
We leave resort around 11:30. Thoughts on what we should do our last morning? Lazy morning at resort, or head to a park one last time? Dining suggestions?

Other meals will be QS, which I am trying to figure out and plan as well.
I don't know if I'm being realistic in my plans (for example heading back to resort for break/nap...? Too much back and forth?? Time for this?). Help!! I am open to any and all advice, but please be easy on me lol. I'm doing my best :) Thanks!

Last edited:
You're gonna be there over Christmas. Expect it to be extremely full and not be able to get much done outside of the FPs.

Yes, unfortunately it is the only time of year we can go. We're going in with a positive attitude, accepting the fact that it will be crazy and we won't get on tons of rides! We'll definitely have a specific plan in place but we also know we have to be flexible and open to changes in plans if needed.
We're focusing on having fun despite the insanity haha! If nothing else, we are staying at an amazing resort and we will be on our first big vacation as a family of 4 :)

Day 4: Get the dining package for ROL. FP+ ties you up most of the day and gives you no chance of getting a 4th, as limited as that chance is that week. Yes, you'll want one or the other. Boma does not offer the package. You might consider doing a 2TS credit meal at Tiffins for the package, and doing QS on Christmas Eve for dinner.

On Day 7, if you're not doing the CP Package, expect to need to queue 2-4 hours in advance. 28th is currently TBD, and depending on that TBD, it may be that queuing more than 4 hours is necessary (although NPH is earlier in the month, but if Jim Caviezal gets added or similar, he gets similar queues).

Day 8 is a good moment for Boma breakfast.

Day 4: Get the dining package for ROL. FP+ ties you up most of the day and gives you no chance of getting a 4th, as limited as that chance is that week. Yes, you'll want one or the other. Boma does not offer the package. You might consider doing a 2TS credit meal at Tiffins for the package, and doing QS on Christmas Eve for dinner.

On Day 7, if you're not doing the CP Package, expect to need to queue 2-4 hours in advance. 28th is currently TBD, and depending on that TBD, it may be that queuing more than 4 hours is necessary (although NPH is earlier in the month, but if Jim Caviezal gets added or similar, he gets similar queues).

Day 8 is a good moment for Boma breakfast.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
- I will try to book the ROL Dining package day 4.
- Yes, we have booked the CP package (Akershus) day 7
- I think I will switch Boma breakfast to day 8

Thanks again!

Great plans overall. Definitely need a positive attitude, but with a plan it is doable. Crowds on 22 & 23 should be you best days crowd level. Buses could be a 20 minute wait, so expect travel time to be 1-1.5 hrs, depending on wait, stops, time of day. So looking at up to 3hr on transportation. We typically start early and end early of start a tad bit later, 9-10 vs 7-8, if doing fireworks, to avoid the travel times. DD8 - no stroller. Stroller for youngest?

CS/QS tend to be more crowded during the holidays. In 2014 Main St. Bakery (Starbucks) had a 90 minute wait one day (CMs directing line/sidewalk traffic). That was just the wait, not ordering and eating. So I would suggest eating at atypical dining times for your QS meals (ex. L @ 11am or 1:30pm not 12 noon).

Day 2
- Magic Kingdom, break/nap at resort after lunch if needed. Then DHS for dinner at Hollywood & Vine at 4:20 and Fantasmic at 7:00 (dining package). (I know food might not be amazing but kids will like H&V I think :))

We enjoy H&V Seasonal Dine with F! Food is pretty good. Characters look awesome.

Day 3- Christmas Eve. DHS (EMH). Back to resort for break/nap in afternoon as needed. Go to MK fireworks. **Advice on where the heck to try to book dinner and still make it to fireworks?

Not idea based on your other plans, but if @ resort Boma or CP, LTT (MK).

Day 4- Christmas Day. AK (EMH). Break/nap at resort in the afternoon if needed. Dinner at Boma at 4:45 and ROL at 7:15.

Dining Package recommended. It's Christmas Day & MK will probable reach there Stage 3 or 4 Closure, Pandora is new this year, so yes, dining package to guarantee seating @ ROL with 2-3 wait and not possibly seeing show.

Day 5-
MK (EMH). Crystal Palace at 1:10. Head to resort for break/nap after lunch if needed.

EP for holiday IllumiNations, just in case not doable on Day 7. Disney Springs. HDDMR. Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! @ HS.

Day 8-
We leave resort around 11:30. Thoughts on what we should do our last morning? Lazy morning at resort, or head to a park one last time? Dining suggestions?

We always have B followed by 3 FP+ (9, 10, 11am) at park closest to us -- AK for you, but not sure of your number of days with tickets. When @ AK bus is 5 minute ride, plus resort wait, & AKL is 1st stop when heading back to resort.

:santa:
Maybe I'll see you. 12/15-12/27!

Great plans overall. Definitely need a positive attitude, but with a plan it is doable. Crowds on 22 & 23 should be you best days crowd level. Buses could be a 20 minute wait, so expect travel time to be 1-1.5 hrs, depending on wait, stops, time of day. So looking at up to 3hr on transportation. We typically start early and end early of start a tad bit later, 9-10 vs 7-8, if doing fireworks, to avoid the travel times. DD8 - no stroller. Stroller for youngest?

CS/QS tend to be more crowded during the holidays. In 2014 Main St. Bakery (Starbucks) had a 90 minute wait one day (CMs directing line/sidewalk traffic). That was just the wait, not ordering and eating. So I would suggest eating at atypical dining times for your QS meals (ex. L @ 11am or 1:30pm not 12 noon).

Day 2
- Magic Kingdom, break/nap at resort after lunch if needed. Then DHS for dinner at Hollywood & Vine at 4:20 and Fantasmic at 7:00 (dining package). (I know food might not be amazing but kids will like H&V I think :))

We enjoy H&V Seasonal Dine with F! Food is pretty good. Characters look awesome.

Not idea based on your other plans, but if @ resort Boma or CP, LTT (MK).

Dining Package recommended. It's Christmas Day & MK will probable reach there Stage 3 or 4 Closure, Pandora is new this year, so yes, dining package to guarantee seating @ ROL with 2-3 wait and not possibly seeing show.

Day 5-

EP for holiday IllumiNations, just in case not doable on Day 7. Disney Springs. HDDMR. Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! @ HS.

Day 8-

We always have B followed by 3 FP+ (9, 10, 11am) at park closest to us -- AK for you, but not sure of your number of days with tickets. When @ AK bus is 5 minute ride, plus resort wait, & AKL is 1st stop when heading back to resort.

:santa:
Maybe I'll see you. 12/15-12/27!

Thanks for your suggestions! It really helped.
Yes, we will have a stroller for my younger son (3).
We made a few changes:
- booked Fireworks Dessert party at MK day 2
- moved H&V Fantasmic to day 3
- will try to book ROL dining package Day 4 (and cancel Boma if we get it)
-moved Boma breakfast to our last day
-day 5 evening head to Epcot for dinner and illuminations

Thanks soooooo much!
ha, yeah maybe we'll see each other. I'll be the one wearing the Minnie ears...you'll spot me for sure. Haha!!!

Christmas is crazy busy. I've not done Christmas at WDW, but did Thanksgiving and it was crazy busy. But we did rope drop all of our park days and late nights. Took advantage of EMH and we did all we wanted to do and many of them multiple times. Since you are going with a plan you are ahead of many already. Just remember to be flexible and patient with the crowds. I have done Christmas at DLR and again, rope drop, rest or shows mid afternoon and then late night rides again. Works like a charm!

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions! It really helped.
Yes, we will have a stroller for my younger son (3).
We made a few changes:
- booked Fireworks Dessert party at MK day 2
- moved H&V Fantasmic to day 3
- will try to book ROL dining package Day 4 (and cancel Boma if we get it)
-moved Boma breakfast to our last day
-day 5 evening head to Epcot for dinner and illuminations

Thanks soooooo much!
ha, yeah maybe we'll see each other. I'll be the one wearing the Minnie ears...you'll spot me for sure. Haha!!!

You are most welcome! My DD will have the green with red bow Minnie ears & we all will be in matching tees. Waiting on the red with green bow headband to be released. :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!